VtM: Bloodlines - A Sequel?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock Paper Shotgun speculates that a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines will be announced on March 21st:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines sequel might be sneaking up on us at GDC

The blood moon rises. The elders at RPS have reported feeling twinges in their necks and a mild taste of iron in their mouths. In other words, a sequel to early 2000s neckbiter RPG Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines might be announced at the Game Developers Conference next month. The heavy teasing of an alternate reality game has been traced back to Paradox Interactive (the folks who own White Wolf, the publisher of the vampire RPG) and some clues have popped up. The company haven't officially announced anything but players of the ARG discovered a date and city being mentioned by one of its characters. The 21st of March and San Francisco. And would you look at that. GDC is happening on the 21st of March. I've tried to calm the elders down by feeding them blood sausage and black pudding, but they won't be contained. They're convinced Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is finally getting a sequel.

Alec told you about this ARG before. Basically, it's a pretend dating app called Tender, and the more you fiddle with it, the more you learn about its fictional tech company. It is heavily implied they are soulless bloodsucking immortals. That's Silicon Valley types for you. But among the references to vampirism and documents from the fictional company, players have discovered an internal memo from its CEO, Malcolm Chandler.

"We must be ready for San Francisco on March 21st," he says. "Mark that date. This will be the biggest announcement in the history of my company."

[...]
More information.

My skepticism meter is pegged at 11 for this one ...

Like I said in the other thread Paradox is not known for spending large amounts on any self published game. They mentioned why in past interviews risk= reward.

So it might very well be a new VtM game but whose to say it will be a big budget RPG?

Last edited:
Also taken from the codex thread - https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11109
It's been theorized that the developer is Seattle-based studio Hardsuit Labs, who recently announced the imminent shutdown of their venerable F2P shooter Blacklight: Retribution and have been working on an "unannounced project" since at least 2017. Job ads and resumes indicate that their game is using Unreal Engine 4 and involves "established IP lore" and "an emphasis on acting performance". Paradox acquired a 33% stake in Hardsuit in early 2018, and the studio employs Martin Ka'ai Cluney, a former Obsidian designer who worked on the cancelled Aliens RPG. But what really makes Hardsuit's involvement seem likely is that several images of what appear to be various locations in Seattle have been revealed over the course of the ARG. Go with what you know!
Might be a possible F2P or MMO game.:(

I can already smell the Codex/NMA reaction to a new Bloodlines that tries something new instead of essentially recreating the past :)

Please not an MMO, just please, really. MMOs are so bland and grindy, I never liked them. "Games as a service" my ass, what an awful trend.

"Bloodlines as a service"

That sounds pretty convenient if you think about it and the kind of role you're likely to play :)

If they don't make an AAA or AA vampire game, I hope they let their recently acquired Hairbrained Schemes make a vampire game. The studio made Shadowrun games with interesting stories and characters on a limited budget and with decent rpg systems. If they are looking for a game with a modest budget they certainly could do a lot worse.

I can only pray that, should be actually get a sequel, it will remain a single player game and completely avoid any online garbage. I will not even consider a purchase if this turns out to be some online distraction simply hoping to pick up on the popularity of the earlier game.

I don't know, I'd quite like a coop Vampire looter shooter :)

If for no other reason, then just to see the reaction around here.

Well can't speak for others but I want another actual RPG maybe set in an open world version of Seattle. Preferably something like Assassin Creed Odyssey for an example.

It's not rocket science.:biggrin:

Don't mind if it has Co-Op but I don't give a crap about online /F2P games.
If they don't make an AAA or AA vampire game, I hope they let their recently acquired Hairbrained Schemes make a vampire game. The studio made Shadowrun games with interesting stories and characters on a limited budget and with decent rpg systems. If they are looking for a game with a modest budget they certainly could do a lot worse.
That's a good idea but probably wont happen.:(

On a serious note, I found VtM: Bloodlines nearly perfect - if we ignore the technical state of the game.

Of course, it could be endlessly expanded upon. But, to me, it was more or less Vampire Deus Ex - and so it should remain.

Co-op would only enhance the experience, of course, but I'll take a pure singleplayer version if I have to.

Totally agree about the prior game, it nailed so many aspects of the vampire genre perfectly, it even had awesome, no, BEYOND awesome music!! And that comes from someone who usually turns off the audio in any game played. Yeah it sure had some technical issues, but the world, character design and quests were so well done that most folks completely give the developers a pass on those lingering problems. Even including the issues, it's a game well worth playing.

Bloodlines is one of my favorite games. I'd really love to see a GTA V-meets-Bloodlines game, where you get a cell phone, prowl around an open LA/Seattle/whatever, meet potential victims or other vampires through Tender on your phone, buy/manage safehouses, have vampire factions which control different parts of the city and that you can work for and gain reputation etc., while still maintaining the pen-and-paper RPG adaptation. I know I'm dreaming but it would be sweet if they announced an open-world RPG for the sequel.

Would love an isometric, turn-based VtM. Would certainly cost less to make.

Looks like Chris Avellone could be writing for this VtM game. Also confirmed he has finished writing for Jedi: The Fallen Order.

Chris Avellone

I can't say 100% b/c of NDAs, but the ones I can say: I just finished up work with Jedi: The Fallen Order - and beyond that, there's another big bomb dropping in a month! Er, I mean, maybe. Ahem.

wink if it's VtM

Chris Avellone
Shhhhhhh - also, the undead don’t wink.

Well good news I guess if your a Chris Avellone fanboy(RPGCodex Members).:p

Back
Top Bottom