Making an NWN Module

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
Hey guys. I had a thought to create a Planescape setting module and had some questions. Or more like random thoughts on it. I don't mind using the standard art assets that come with the modkit for buildings, areas and such, but for creatures and characters, I'm pretty sure I'd need all unique assets. Any idea where those could be found, or would they have to be handmade by a modder? Anyone here do such work? I'd need creature art for unique creatures like the Hollyphant, Tso and many more, and unique boss creatures as well. I don't have much money to pay and the module would just be for fun since not many, if any, modules are made in the Planescape setting. I recently acquired the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium and all 3 Planescape bestiaries + monster supplements that exist, and also have written some of the story and dialogue already. The modkit seems easy enough to use but I'm not sure I could continue without those art assets. It just wouldn't work, obviously.

Sorry for the wall of text, just rambling a bit. I'm somewhat interested in doing this and mildly motivated but the art wall is a tough one to overcome. Any ideas of how I could go about doing this?

Have you decided on NWN 1 or 2?

For NWN2:
There's an unfinished Planescape project called Purgatorio (which I never played) and also Shaper of Dreams so between the two of them they might have some assets you could use.

But if you're going for NWN1 there's sigil tileset and some PS creatures though I don't see Hollyphant or Tso specifically. It seems also that the CEP has some Outsider / Demons that might be useful for PS mods. CEP 2.6

Anyway, good luck. I tinkered with NWN1 toolset a bit but just concluded it would be too big of a time investment to learn how to do what I wanted with it. But I will still play NWN modules, especially if they're in the the PS:T style of RP / dialogue heavy, but combat light / optional.

Daveyd already said what I was going to. As a few mods do exist on both NWN 1&2 along with the tile-sets, and other various hack-packs you might be able to use.

You might be able to contact a few of the modders if they are still around on the vault for permission to use some their made content. As long as you credit them in the mod.

It seems like too much work for me, too. But eh, it was a good idea I guess. I'll just have to stick to playing the games instead of making them. :)

It seems like too much work for me, too. But eh, it was a good idea I guess. I'll just have to stick to playing the games instead of making them. :)
Well sorry to hear that but can't fault you for your decision. As some of the best mods have taken years to finish. It's basically a part time job you will never get paid from.

NWN1 mods are shockingly easy to make - too easy even the official manual says. That's been part of the problem is people tend to throw down a bunch of really bad mods.

However, the hak system is really easy to use - its just a pain for the player on the other end who gets confused easy when playing online ("what's this hak thing and why can't I just play?") but not really a problem for single players. Just stick the Plan Escape haks in the right hak folder and add them to the mod.

Don't go with the default 8x8 areas - its too large - go with 5x5 at most - or even less. Less is more.

Learn how to link doors and area transitions. Learn to use the conversation area.

Don't fall in love with all your work in placement details. The game moves too fast and your players won't appreciate them unfortunately.

If you need custom scripts and you are not a scripter, there used to be a script generator

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/lilac-souls-nwn-script-generator-v23

But these tool collection seems to be popular now too

https://neverwintervault.org/projec...-editor-generator-tool-and-utility-collection

Again, its really straightforward. If you want to DM a game be sure to include the DMFI wands

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/dmfi-wands-widgets-109

Its 100x easier than using the console.

There's a Planescape tileset for NWN that looks very nice. CODI Sigil, I think it was. Both interior and exterior tilesets.

Maybe someday inspiration will strike and I'll want to learn this and make my module, but for now I'll just enjoy Kingmaker and be thankful I didn't have to work hard making it. :)

With the EE being a new thing there may be some aspiring module-makers out there, perhaps you could find someone to collaborate with. It may be that there's someone who enjoys level design / building things (and has the knowhow / free time) but isn't much of a writer, so you could basically just give them your script.

Back
Top Bottom