Grimoire - Released

Though I would never play this game, even if free.
I will say this the game has given me much enjoyment with all the threads and post.

The 1500-page thread on the Codex (now locked away in Retardoland after release) was a hell of a lot more than $40 of entertainment.

Spare yourself the wishful thinking d'Art. Sales haven't stopped steadily increasing since launch, you can check via steamapp like I know you won't.

Oh yes, looking at current sales will magically tell us what they would have been at a lower price. Maybe in luj-luj land ;)

Also, please don't let small aspects of reality like how I actually hope the game does reasonably well, as I've often said - get in the way.

I just don't think it will be a big hit, sadly.

I'm one of those alien creatures you will never understand who doesn't let a personal agenda skew my overall desire to see hard work rewarded.

I don't give a shit what role Cleve plays in public or how much the masses believe themselves capable of establishing some kind of objective moral standard that they never live up to themselves.

What matters is he worked hard on it no matter how long it took. Then it matters how good it is.

That is it.

Anyway you can get a warez version with first hit on google search since yesterday.
Lame to even mention this (is it allowed on RPGWatch? I forget…)

This was a game created almost fully by one person over 23-24 years, if you're gonna play it, give him his fucking money.

LOL whats with all these positive reviews on steam from ppl who played less than 5 hrs when the game claims its 600 hrs long. They haven't even experienced 1% of the game content.
Some of the negative reviews are real peaches too

This was a game created almost fully by one person over 23-24 years, if you're gonna play it, give him his fucking money.

As if it was a secret. Calm down. Scene releases are part of reality.

Also, I already checked it out as my curiousity won. It's exactly like the superdemo.

Not terrible, but positively archaic, clunky and with an abysmal presentation by modern standards. Also, the sound/music take the cake in terms of the subpar.

That said, the writing - so far - has been interesting and the content could be great. However, if I saw this game and Wiz 8 side-by-side - I wouldn't spend two seconds deciding which one to go for.

Again, I might buy it if it ever hits a reasonable price point.

Based on current info - the peak amount of concurrent players is little more than 100. I personally estimate that would make current sales hover around 1-2K copies.

IIRC, I guessed it would ultimately sell no more than 10K.

I guess that's not too bad all things considered. We'll see if he can keep this "momentum".

About the reviews thing purpleblob mentioned…there's been a demo out for years that's dozens of hours long, you can't assume that people leaving reviews (positive or negative) haven't already played the game quite a bit. As DArt just said, the final game isn't much different. Just bigger (supposedly).

As if it was a secret. Calm down. Scene releases are part of reality.
Of course it's not a secret, but it's also pretty non-classy to post about it.

Actually I backed the game on Indiegogo years ago and I am still waiting for my steam key.
Also waiting for my boxed copy and strategy guide. Won`t get these two anytime soon don`t you think?

If I remember right, he said he's supposed to be sending out backer keys today (it's afternoon in Australia). Pretty dumb he didn't have that ready to go at release. Don't blame you for "finding a copy" in that case.

I'm betting the boxed copy and strategy guide will take a really long time to show up though... :lol:

Of course it's not a secret, but it's also pretty non-classy to post about it.

I don't think of mentioning something relevant and real as non-classy - but then again, I don't confuse my own personal position with a moral imperative.

However, I can't remember the rules - so it might be against them, even if no specifics were mentioned.

"That copy" is old version anyway as it crashes upon clicking on portraits on win10. He already released a small update to fix this issue.
I finished the superdemo years ago but probably won`t be playing this until EE is released.:biggrin:

About the reviews thing purpleblob mentioned…there's been a demo out for years that's dozens of hours long, you can't assume that people leaving reviews (positive or negative) haven't already played the game quite a bit. As DArt just said, the final game isn't much different. Just bigger (supposedly).

Fine, they experienced less than 5% of the content, happy? ;)

Early Steam reviews are not to be trusted no matter what game you're talking about.

Same goes for all early aggregate scores. The level of information is limited, the most biased people will always be the first and it's not statistically solid.

Even more so for a game like Grimoire, where content is obviously key - as the superficial qualities are clearly comparably horrid. Unless you're blind as a bat, that is.

You need to wait at least a few weeks for a game like this to get any kind of reasonable estimation of what people actually think. Even then, you will need to sort through tons of bullshit.

Anyway you can get a warez version with first hit on google search since yesterday.

And unfortunately for Cleve, the tiny file size makes that all the more convenient. I can't help but to wonder how many more people would have purchased the game if it was reasonably priced.

Well, at least we know this is a landmark event in rpg gaming. Hell, much more than that, in all of human history. This release is one for the history books. Perhaps monuments should be built in major cities to commemorate this seminal moment...:p

Sorry, I just got a kick out of this theme/vibe that the guy who explained what "incline" meant was keying in on earlier...lol

As to the short discussion about it being available by other sources: The TOS prohibits linking to illegal download sites. I Interprete this a bit broader and would include mentioning the site where you can find it as well or explicitly advocating to download a game illegally (that is a stretch, but it is an omission in the TOS at the moment, which will be fixed in a future update of it).
So, stating that the game is available from illegal sources is not against the TOS (as long as you are not advocating it).

However, if I saw this game and Wiz 8 side-by-side - I wouldn't spend two seconds deciding which one to go for.

Funny you should mention that. I did exactly that tonight. I know I played Wiz 8 back in the day, at least for a little while, but I hardly remember a thing about it. I've had a thing against bobbers for a long time, but all this talk about Grimoire got me thinking about a long-standing goal of mine to play Wiz 8 again.

Character creation was nice. I've only wandered some and gotten into a few fights, but everything feels so nice. The interface is good, the pacing seems good so far and it even looks pretty good still. Early on, it looks like these guys did a lot of things right. I may have to rethink my bobber prejudice. :p

Still won't bother with Grimoire, though. Does any of us really need a 600-hour game? I sure as hell don't, especially if it's just a dungeon crawl. If I develop a new bobber jones, think I may turn to Might & Magic X. Did they ever resolve the technical issues with that one?

Well, blobbers can be very different. I know the Wiz games are dominated by combat - which is definitely not my thing.

I much prefer games like Grimrock - where combat is much faster and straightforward.

That said, none of them appeal to me that much anymore. The few examples we're seeing aren't really doing what I would want them to do.

Not sure about Grimoire - but it seems very Wiz-like in terms of combat, combat and more combat.

Back
Top Bottom