The TV Series discussion thread

Right behind Twin Peaks, Halt and Catch Fire has been one of my favourite shows for years. Last night, they literally killed......something. F'ing brilliant show, and heart wrenching.

Another DS9 fan here. :) First few seasons were okayish, but man, once the story picked up with the shapeshifters that show was on a roll. Season 4 has one of the most emotional episodes for me, The Visitor. Darn it, I cried like a little child with that one. It caught me completely off guard.

Anyway, not sure what to make yet of Discovery. Only watched the first 2 episodes so far, and it seems a little contrived. I mean, of all the people on the ship they
send the actual captain and their second in command to board the Klingon vessel? Don't they have soldiers for that?
It's flashy, and I really don't like the main character.

Another DS9 fan here. :) First few seasons were okayish, but man, once the story picked up with the shapeshifters that show was on a roll. Season 4 has one of the most emotional episodes for me, The Visitor. Darn it, I cried like a little child with that one. It caught me completely off guard.

Anyway, not sure what to make yet of Discovery. Only watched the first 2 episodes so far, and it seems a little contrived. I mean, of all the people on the ship they
send the actual captain and their second in command to board the Klingon vessel? Don't they have soldiers for that?
It's flashy, and I really don't like the main character.

Yes I thought the exact same thing. Or
Hey, there's a Klingon vessel, we haven't seen them in a hundred years, what do we do? Let's shoot first!

I'm still waiting for them to tell us which universe Discovery actually takes place in. As of now it either has to be the new one that was created for the more recent movies, or some other new universe.

I'm still waiting for them to tell us which universe Discovery actually takes place in. As of now it either has to be the new one that was created for the more recent movies, or some other new universe.

It's in the 'Prime' universe (the one for the TV shows), so 10 years before The Original Series, but liberal use of 'artistic licenses' like the different physical appearance of the Klingons, holograms, etc.

Have you a source for them saying it is actually the Prime Universe? I get the concept of liberal license, but you simply cannot introduce new technologies that were not valid before, and everyone wearing the Enterprise emblem makes no sense....every vessel/Starbase has a specific, unique design. Now, Enterprise's emblem was adopted fleet-wide after the successful five year mission, but that's not occurred yet.

Have you a source for them saying it is actually the Prime Universe? I get the concept of liberal license, but you simply cannot introduce new technologies that were not valid before, and everyone wearing the Enterprise emblem makes no sense….every vessel/Starbase has a specific, unique design. Now, Enterprise's emblem was adopted fleet-wide after the successful five year mission, but that's not occurred yet.
Yes it was in Entertainment Weekly (http://ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series/) this is the part you're looking for:
Star Trek: Discovery will be set in the “Prime Universe” (so in the timeline of the original shows, not the J.J. Abrams reboot films), about a decade before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission. “We can redefine the visual style,” he said. “We get to play with all of the iconography of those ships and that universe. Since we are doing this series in 2016, and all of the other series have been produced [at a time that] isn’t as sophisticated as we are now with what we can do production-wise, we’re going to be reestablishing an entire look for the series — not only for the series, but for what we wanted to accomplish with Star Trek beyond this series.”

I've no real issue with changing appearance visuals per se, but messing with canon is a no no in my book. That being said, with the most recent episode I'm quite interested in Lorca, he's not your average starship captain, and I'm hoping for some fun and diabolical twists from him and his crew. The changes won't stop me from watching the show, but it does make me question if the people involved even understand some of the established systems that have been in place for decades, not years, but decades.

I wonder how much the new Klingon costumes cost? Sadly, just one costume probably costs as much as an entire Red Dwarf episode. That's value for your dollar!

Isn't it still on Netflix? In fact, every ST series prior to Discovery was on Netflix last time I checked.
Only TOS and TNG have been remastered to 1080p though (= blu-ray release).

For me, by the way, TNG > DS9 > VOY = TOS > ENT. But in truth, I really like all of them.
Title songs: VOY > DS9 > TNG > TOS > ENT > DIS.

The Discovery title theme is way too bland for me. So far the show is intriguing, however, although I hope we'll get to see proper planetary exploration at some point, not only dark space life.

It can't be worse than the theme song from Enterprise. That simply isn't possible.
Haha. I cringed the first few times I heard it, but it slowly grew on me and now I think it serves well enough as a bridge between our time and the future that is the Federation.

That said, in general I do prefer classical music in my sci fi themes.

btw is there any way to watch the new startrek without cbs subscription ?

Outside the US you can watch it in Netflix. You may be able to fool Netflix if you use a VPN that makes it think you're not in the US. Other than that you'll probably have to resort to shadier methods like Kodi - Covenant or something.

I've read somewhere Netflix won't be easily fooled with VPN, probably tracking your previous IP address(es). But then again, you can always try to open some pseudo "try before buy" Netflix account through VPN and pretend you're not in US. If it works, great.

Don't use XBMC please. There are plenty of shady streaming sites out there that are not under magnifying glass like that thing.

The opening theme of Enterprise was easily the worse thing of that show. Man, that was painful to hear and made me reach for the volume button on every broadcast. At least the new one isn't that bad.

Back
Top Bottom