Difficulties with installing older NVidia drivers ...

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone.

Every time I try to install an older NVidia driver I get the message that the installation program couldn't find an installation program for the hardware I use.

I'd like to downgrade to an older driver, but the .INF files simply don't contain descriptions for them.

Example: The 94.24 driver. (I read that Majesty should run with it).

Is NVidia secretly recompiling older drivers so that they won't run anymore later ?

I almost suspect this, because when i still had my "ye olde" Win98SE, I tried to downgrade to older drivers I actually had once used. But then, after I downloaded it, it wouldn't work no more.

Has someone of you a clue or an idea for that ? Me, I'm puzzled.

Alrik

Could be the remains of newer driver preventing the installation of older driver? Try looking up DriverHeaven.net or guru3d websites, both have ATI or Nvidia drivers cleaner tools.

Okay, I'll try that.

Which card model do you have?

Once you have the driver you want on your desktop in a file, delete all drivers then install. Be sure that any virus protection is disabled first.

I have a GeForce 8600 GT, manufactured by Gainward in the "Bliss" label.

There's your problem then. The Geforce 8 series has only been supported by the 16*.** series drivers from the very beginning, IIRC. The 9*.** drivers support only the 6 and 7 series.

In addition to that, I use the 17x.xx (beta) drivers only with my 8600GT.
It works much better with those.
Try guru3d.com.

There's your problem then. The Geforce 8 series has only been supported by the 16*.** series drivers from the very beginning, IIRC. The 9*.** drivers support only the 6 and 7 series.

I had feared that.

Thanks for this confirmation.

resetting all drivers in xp

For those of you who don't know - in order to truly remove a driver from the xp OS you must boot into safe mode and go to that piece of hardware under device manager and then remove the driver and this is especially true of video drivers the OS will not "let go" of them without doing this also you will need to remove the software from the add remove programs window after you have successfully accomplished this you can reboot and add whatever version of driver you want ! !

Back
Top Bottom