Looking for a gaming monitor

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Hello. I'm looking to buy a new computer gaming monitor and I thought I'd ask around here for your opinions.

I'm looking to buy at least a 27" monitor, primarily for gaming. If you have a specific make and model you would recomend to a friend, I'd be really interested to know your opinion.

Thank you!

27" is pushing it for dot pitch. What I mean by that is that a current 27" monitor will have the same resolution as a 24" monitor - 1920x1200 or, more likely, 1920x1080. A pixel on such a monitor will actually be larger than a pixel on the smaller monitor and, therefore, fonts and anything non-gaming related will tend to look larger and grainier.

Just something to keep in mind.

The next step up in resolution, that I am aware of, happens with 30" monitors but you pay a huge premium over the mass produced smaller panels (30" panels tend to be higher quality though).

Somethings never change, and what drithius brings up is one of them… Pixel density > overall size. What I would recommend depends on the budget. Personally I'd avoid TN panels and stick to (S)IPS if at all possible(improved viewing angles, excellent color reproduction, really good for photoshop/video editing too; downsides on older models are slightly slower pixel response and lower contrast thus less dark blacks - less of an issue these days). Dell's U2410 sports a IPS panel and is still affordable(IMO).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

I've seen it for as little as $440 online and ~$400 a/MIR locally.

Of course if you have a bigger budget I'd recommend the u2711 which is a 27" 2560x1440 IPS monster that runs ~$1000 but has been as cheap as $770 online.

-EDIT-

If you're interested here's another 24" IPS... It's not cheap @ $500 shipped free(also out of stock atm). Though new, it had a pretty good reception at CES. Might wanna wait for some reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119&Tpk=asus pa246q

Last edited:
I really appreciate the replies - every time I ask for help on these boards I always get really good info and I appreciate it.

@MasterKromm: I'll take a look at the models you suggest. Price really isn't an issue. I'm planning to buy a gaming monitor that I will use for the next 2, possibly 3 gaming rigs that I will purchase over the next 10 years.

Suggestions of specific makes and models are really helpful as I'm not too knowledgeable about monitors. I want to get one that is as large as can be that makes sense as a gaming monitor.

I want to get one that is as large as can be that makes sense as a gaming monitor.

Then I would probably stick with a 24" for now, and I'd recommend getting one that can do 1920x1200 (most are 1920x1080).

An IPS panel isn't necessary either. The visual difference doesn't justify the price difference, imo. I paid only $250 for my 24" Samsung, and it's been great for gaming.

The technology for flat panel TVs/monitors is moving so quickly that it's highly unlikely you'll be using the same one for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
^ I don't agree, 6ms gtg is more than adequate… Aside from 3D(still not sure it will become truly mainstream anytime soon) I don't see any radical changes within the next 10 years, budget is quickly becoming an issue and new expensive tech is on the consumer chopping block(IMO). Also, the difference between a TN and IPS or VA is noticeable. If at all possible, I'd recommend a B&M store with floor models to get a good idea. Though I will concede, that if the monitor will only be used for gaming, you could find a decent TN based monitor and buy 2 for the same price...

Though we do agree on the issue of resolution, 1920x1200.

-EDIT-

I should have quoted you now part of what I typed doesn't make much sense. :(

The difference between a TN and IPS is negligible for gaming, especially when you're talking about $250 vs $500 for the same size screen.

The difference between a TN and IPS is negligible for gaming, especially when you're talking about $250 vs $500 for the same size screen.

I wrote,

Though I will concede, that if the monitor will only be used for gaming, you could find a decent TN based monitor and buy 2 for the same price…

It's a preference thing, having gone IPS myself I'm never going back... Somewhat rhetorical, but how many gaming rigs are exclusively gaming rigs? Mine tends to be an AIO, and shares Photo + Video editing duty in addition to gaming.

I know what you wrote, I was simply reiterating my opinion for MadGamer.

As far as what your rig tends to be used for, I really don't think that's relevent. He's already stated that this is for gaming.

An IPS panel isn't necessary either. The visual difference doesn't justify the price difference, imo. I paid only $250 for my 24" Samsung, and it's been great for gaming.

Uhhhh, actually, what is an IPS panel anyway... /whistles to help distract onlookers from the glaring ignorance...

The technology for flat panel TVs/monitors is moving so quickly that it's highly unlikely you'll be using the same one for the next 10 years.

Good point.

Fairly basic/straightforward descriptions of panel types,

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Here's the site I was looking for originally, it has a more detailed explanation:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

As far as what your rig tends to be used for, I really don't think that's relevent. He's already stated that this is for gaming.

Perhaps I read too much into "primarily for gaming" in the OP… Either way only giving my 2 cents, for me the extra cost is worth it if I expect to use the monitor for more than a couple years and for more than one thing. Let me be clear, monitors sporting a TN panel work just fine and will get the job done for less.

Last edited:
My opinion,of course YMMV:

- TFT technology is moving fast ATM, after a relatively stable period for a couple of years. Monitor & TV TFT tech accelerate each other.
- Unless you find the perfect 27" monitor I would go for a decent 24" gaming TFT. Read reviews, choose whatever Samsung or LG you like. 250$ should do the trick.
- Prepare to switch again in 2 or 3 years.
- I'm a strong supporter of a 2 monitor setup. My 2nd monitor is only a 15" TFT, but having to live without it at the moment (other graphics card -> adapter) totally sucks. The constant switching between windowses drives me crazy. 2 TFTs FTW, even if the 2nd one is small! Especially if you do serious work from time to time you want more (independent) screenspace.

Again, thanks for all this feedback. I'm scouring this thread now and researching things posted here on the net to educate myself.

Again, the monitor I would like to buy will be strictly for gaming. I have the luxery of two PCs... one is my 'work' PC and one is my gaming PC (and on my gaming PC all I do is play games - that's it).

I'd love a two monitor setup, but unfortunatley I just don't have the room for it. This is the reason why I am gunning for purchasing as large a monitor that makes sense for gaming as I can... because I only have space for one.

I'd just like to reiterate that if you'll be using it for gaming primarily, I would go with a well-reviewed 24" with a 16:10 resolution; ie., 1920x1200. This is not as easy as it sounds these days - it seems that 95% of everything out there is 16:9, 1920x1080. 120 pixels of extra vertical real estate is really nice to have when playing games.

Personally, I would not pay a substantial premium for an IPS panel. Sooner or later, they'll produce a good 3D-capable 24" LCD and then you'll start to gradually feel the itch to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom