I ended up with about 82 toughness - and I still ltook heavy damage from Soul Eaters and the like. I was playing on 'normal' then switched to hard near the end, because it wasn't very challenging (even for me). What I did find though was that armour made a huge difference - I played a demon hunter and the shield ability you get meant I took essentially 0 damage from almost everything, except shadow lords, by the end of the game. Even with lower toughness. But as soon as that shield wore off I was pretty badly battered about, especially with constant mobs and interripted attack routines, as in Skull island finale. By the way, the last boss fight, while way better than the end of Risen 1, was irritating - too many targets, hitting wrong thing too often, having to bounce around like a yo-yo to avoid attacks. Just too much. I did not enjoy it. I should say I had way less impressive stats and abilities than some people have reported here by that point - nothing about 85, no really fancy items crafted etc. So maybe I wasn't well enough prepared. I can also confirm that blade dancer is indispensible and makes a world of difference. I'd be curious to see a playthrough without such 'unbalancing' abilities...

Yes, getting very high Toughness is rather easy, and it effectively makes the hero immune to damage. High level heroes have always been very resistant to damage in PB games (for example in Gothic, the ore armor will make you extremely resistant to damage), but not like this. This is too much.

It's even easier on mage than on char that stacks toughness.You can kite very easily and can clear wave of enemies with just shockwave + fire rain and just finish stronger enemies with 1 or 2 basic "glove attack" from decent range and mage even has very strong heal if you take any damage.On hard I could kill any enemy in few seconds(except few main bosses ofc.). My crystal magic was around 160 at the end with only 30 or 40 toughness.

I was steamrolling most things towards the end of the game, but that final fight still took me a lot of time. But still, it forced me to actually look at my faction abilities so that was probably a good thing.

I did think this time round the factions almost didn't matter, or at least the post-joining stage didn't matter. If the plot didn't require you to join, I don't think I would bother. I wouldn't mind if this cookie-cutter faction system were dropped by PB in future games.

Back
Top Bottom