The Witcher 2 - New York Times Review

aries100

SasqWatch
New York Times has penned a very favourable review of The Witcher 2. Entitled Exploring Moral Consequences, the Obvious and the Unintended, the well written review explains why Witcher 2 is among the reviewer's favourite games. I encourage you the read the review, but as always here's a snip:
The world of The Witcher is gothic, soulful and intelligent, yet mercilessly brutal. Innocent people die, and still almost all the characters consider themselves perfectly justified in their actions. After all, one man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter, and which you consider noble depends on your personal circumstances. As the Witcher, an independent, mystical warrior set amid warring medieval kingdoms, you will have to decide what justice means to you.
The Witcher team feels this way
We would like to add that the RED Team is very proud and thankful for this review.
More information.

Very good review, well written.
(as It should be, coming from that source ;)
as an interesting side note the review from NY times is very similar in sentiment to the review by Svenska Dagbladet, one of the more serious newspapers in Sweden.

http://www.svd.se/kultur/spel/en-varld-svar-att-lamna_6214273.svd

looking forward to play it when I have the time, Just need another 6850 for the graphics?

C

I don't think much about the NY Times and they are the last place I'd imagine getting my gaming news from. But I do admit, despite my bias, that is a pretty good article of W2.

New York Times has penned a very favourable review of The Witcher 2. Entitled Exploring Moral Consequences, the Obvious and the Unintended, the well written review explains why Witcher 2 is among the reviewer's favourite games. I encourage you the read the review, but as always here's a snip:
The Witcher team feels this way
More information.

Very good review from the last readable American newspaper. When I was in the US the last time in 08 I was stunned how bad most papers in America have become. Especially the local press is a sorry excuse for printing ads. Most striking though was the fact that nearly the complete right wing press must have got any journalistic standards amiss.

And USA Today is ... , well USA Today :-(

For all that, the game’s technical interface could use some serious sprucing up. I shouldn’t have to spend several hours installing third-party modifications to do simple things like figure out which way is north.
!? If the sun is out you shouldn't need help. If the sun isn't out, why should you know? Does Gerralt have a compass in his sword?

!? If the sun is out you shouldn't need help.

I don't recall any lore in the game telling me which way the mythical planet the game is set on spins.

Then again, I don't really remember any instructions telling me to go north/east etc. They seemed to navigate by 'left/right' which without any reference to the point of view was a little confusing.

!? If the sun is out you shouldn't need help. If the sun isn't out, why should you know? Does Gerralt have a compass in his sword?
Given he has a minimap in his sword, you'd think he'd have made one with a compass, yes :)

It's not a superbly written review but it's great for CDP to have major publications a) register and b) say positive things about W2.

It's not a superbly written review but it's great for CDP to have major publications a) register and b) say positive things about W2.

Yep, a review like that can transfer directly into $$ for CDP, as it will bring people into the fold who might've missed out on the game entirely. I have a feeling the Xbox 360 version is going to make it on to a fair number of Christmas lists this year.

Yep, a review like that can transfer directly into $$ for CDP, as it will bring people into the fold who might've missed out on the game entirely. I have a feeling the Xbox 360 version is going to make it on to a fair number of Christmas lists this year.

It's great for CDP no doubt, but I hope the success of TW2 doesn't translate to The Witcher 3 being a lot more mainstream.

I'm kinda hoping the Witcher 3 moves from Geralt to a new witcher. It's time for Grandfather Geralt to take a dirt nap. Maybe a cameo in the intro movie, where an undead Geralt trains a new witcher in the most-hated, yet desperately needed role.

I'm kinda hoping the Witcher 3 moves from Geralt to a new witcher. It's time for Grandfather Geralt to take a dirt nap. Maybe a cameo in the intro movie, where an undead Geralt trains a new witcher in the most-hated, yet desperately needed role.

A Witcher called Falcon perhaps? They could set the game in a city, and tell the story of events occurring over a large time frame, so you can really see the consequences of your choices in the longer term!

;)

Isnt the technology to make witchers lost/forgotten or something, making the current witchers the last of their kind?
Who cares?

Very good review from the last readable American newspaper. When I was in the US the last time in 08 I was stunned how bad most papers in America have become. Especially the local press is a sorry excuse for printing ads. Most striking though was the fact that nearly the complete right wing press must have got any journalistic standards amiss.

And USA Today is … , well USA Today :-(

Speaking as a former newspaper reporter, you're absolutely right. American journalistic standards have gone straight down the toilet. Local newspapers -- and local news in general -- are dead. The consolidation of news media and the Internet have killed local news and eviscerated newspapers, which had been the last holdout for real news during my lifetime. Now all we're left with are opposing partisan talking heads yelling at each other on the television, which now passes for balanced reporting, or yelling alone into the ether about ideological issues that have little practical effect on people's daily lives. It's sad and more damaging to our democracy than most people realize.

The USA Today has always been drek. :p

I'm glad that I didn't take career path, when it was a clear path. My father would have liked me to continue the multiple generations of familiy tradition, but I'd probably be unemployed by now. So sad to see the decline of a once respected profession to almost nothing...

It's great for CDP no doubt, but I hope the success of TW2 doesn't translate to The Witcher 3 being a lot more mainstream.

Of course there's always that fear, but unlike that other RPG developer who shall go nameless (<cough> Bioware <cough>), they aren't given instructions by some Evil Archdemon. Now, if CDP were to get bought (say, by Ubisoft or some other large Euro-centric gaming giant), then all bets are off.

Back
Top Bottom