Daggerfall remake?

Kelefane

Watchdog
I know that years ago, Daggerfall was being remade. I think it was called DaggerfallXL or something like that? Its the same game, but with updated/better graphics/sprites etc. What happened with that?

The last update from the mod developer was in 2016.

Link - http://xlengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1223
Hello, I have been away from the boards for a long time. I have been meaning to post an update but I find it difficult to do so when I don't have good news. For a while now, I have been swamped with too many things going on and have been unable to spend much time with the XL Engine. Among other things, without going into detail, this includes more responsibility at work, a project coming to a close and frantically trying to meet some hard deadlines.

However I have not given up on the project and will be returning with updates again as soon as possible. I expect to be able to be able to continue working on the project in earnest within a few weeks and should return to making regular updates at that time.

Again, sorry for not communicating this earlier - I didn't realize it would take so long to get everything into order.
Almost a year later and he didn't post any more updates. There is another project that aims to remake Daggefall in the unity engine. Sofar the projects progress looks good.

Link - http://www.dfworkshop.net/

The Daggerfall in unity engine project looked great last time I saw it (a few months ago.) I hope it gets finished and in a playable state. Wouldn't mind giving Daggerfall some serious burn since my first TES game really was Morrowind.

Daggerfall is THE game that is always discussed being remade. Lots have tried and lots have ditched the project. Maybe one day someone comes through and completes it. Would be awesome.

It was a fantastic, ground breaking game for its time, but if you play it now, you get to see how empty the world is and how repetitive the towns and dungeons are.

It was a fantastic, ground breaking game for its time, but if you play it now, you get to see how empty the world is and how repetitive the towns and dungeons are.

I agree 100% with you. The world was empty and TOO big. You could travel for hours (real time) and never run into anything at all. But the dungeon crawls in that game are legendary. I remember getting lost in the bigger dungeons and taking hours to find my way back out.

I remember getting lost in the bigger dungeons and taking hours to find my way back out.

Yeah, the 3D dungeons were pretty fantastic and haven't been replicated or improved on since. The map really didn't help in finding how to get out. Nowadays, games hold your hand and give you a magical Sat Nav trail to do all the hard work. :(

Sounding old now :-/, next I'll be talking about graph paper and Bard's Tale :)

I remember getting lost in the bigger dungeons and taking hours to find my way back out.
Yeah, the 3D dungeons were pretty fantastic and haven't been replicated or improved on since. The map really didn't help in finding how to get out. Nowadays, games hold your hand and give you a magical Sat Nav trail to do all the hard work. :(

Sounding old now :-/, next I'll be talking about graph paper and Bard's Tale :)

Magical sat-nav along with tiny simple dungeons. I don't mind the sat-nav thing, though the tiny dungeons designed to be run through once without missing anything makes it all feel so sterile and, I guess "game-y" rather than exploring something. Often more like a circuit where you open a secret door or take a drop and end up back at the exit for absolute eye rolling convenience.

The dungeons is what I remember most about Daggerfall, there were some really massive ones, so big I'd end up spending 2 or 3 game sessions/days in them. I spent most of the game in the dungeons, the rest of the game in cities usually at night while up to no good.

I haven't played a game since that captured the atmosphere Daggerfall had. It was so epic.

it would be awesome on the iPad. come on Bethesda, port or remake one elder scrolls for the pad please. its like my third hand lol now here in Poland.

I haven't played a game since that captured the atmosphere Daggerfall had. It was so epic.

Yep, lost in a huge dungeon and then you start hearing the sounds of a Vampire Lord that you are in no way capable of facing. o_o

I always thought the idea of Towns / Villages being isolated by large tracts of land felt realistic. The sense that the world is larger really amplifies within itself and with the terrain generation heightmap used in this iteration it truly does feel like you're a traveler in an actual kingdom.

Of course, the land between cities and landmarks doesn't really have anything in it (besides thousands and thousands of trees, which are nice), but they could add things like rivers (as in, small lines of the water texture that's seen occasionally in cities), roads that connect major towns and roads, and perhaps, the ocean floor as well.

Some Images I got of Daggerfall unity:

Area outside of Privateers Cove: http://imgur.com/a/VQl0M

River to the north of the region of Mournoth, near the village of Meseraara. The Mountains seen in the pic can be visited (I think), but as you can see one can look across the river and see land.

http://imgur.com/a/DnYF7

Last edited:
Man you've really got the 'feels' right down, watching that video brought back so many fond memories!

Back
Top Bottom