The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I listen to The Seekers a lot!! :)

Yes, and they listen to you. ;)

I don't know where you people buy all this alternative stuff, but it isn't in Oklahoma! I went to every store in town looking for Ether Aura, then cruised the net. I finally found Ani DiFranco at Barnes & Noble--Out of Range, which I am enjoying very much-(-have to take it out of the car cd when my even-older-than-me spouse takes the wheel, tho. He prefers the Seekers) I think the "Take the money I make and Go Away" song should have been played at Anna Nicole's funeral.

At this time, Ether Aura is only available in a few places. The new cd is only available directly from the band at this time (ordering instructions available on their myspace page). I think they're working on some sort of distribution, but I don't think they've got any agreements yet (unless toneVendor has bought up a handful to resell). Their first cd is available from toneVendor (as you might be figuring out, I love toneVendor for quality of experience as well as quality of selection), from the record label (gaia project records), from cdbaby.com, and (I would assume) directly from the band.

It was tough when I was living in Chickasha, OK. Definitely hard to get any sort of music that wasn't country. I remember the day we were moving back. We had been packing the Uhaul all day long and went to Pizza Hut about 8:00. They rolled up the streets at 9, so I don't think they were particularly happy to see us so close to closing. Being tired and cranky, Mrs dte and I decided to get a little feisty. We went to the jukebox, paged thru the entire catalog, and located the single album that wasn't "tear in my beer country hick twang", which just happened to be Ozzy. They actually unplugged the jukebox mid-song... :rotfl:

PSA- Tearwave's debut cd can now be purchased from their record label at Projekt.com. If you've liked anything I've posted in the past, just do yourself a favor and go place your order. :) Supposedly they've got a new song up at myspace, but I haven't looked yet.

Chickasha has a jukebox with Ozzy??(**hears phones ringing at State Capitol with complaints**) One of my best guys that worked on my landscape crew was from there--he was hilarious, sat and thought up puns all day long on song titles--(like Robert Plants doctor song;'I'm in the Mood for a Malody. It warped him, that town...:) )

Thanks for the tip on toneVendor--I will google on. :)

That was April of 1996. I'm sure the oversight has been corrected by now.

I liked Chickasha. It was only 45 minutes up the turnpike to civilization in OKC, and they had excellent restaurants for such a small town. As it worked out, I should have stayed with Delta Faucet out there much longer, although that plant is closed now. I just had a hard time adjusting to they way they used country music in place of elevator music. Go to the grocery store-tear in my beer. Go to the bank-my woman done left me. Go to the Chinese restaurant-boot scootin boogie done on sitars (or whatever the oriental version of a sitar is). It's just wrong, I tell ya. It was hilarious watching the kids cruise the main drag. Coming from Indy, I was used to hearing the kids' cars all thumping away with rapcrap. There, all the pickups were blaring Garth Brooks as they drove in circles.

Garth is from here, ya know. He has a pretty major street named after him, and it's only luck that the town is still called Yukon (and why?? Yukon, Oklahoma--don't ask me. It's not even in north ok) There are plenty of rapsters and hopphippers these days, though. I don't mind a good cry in my beer song, as long as I have plenty of beer to cry in. My favorite alltime is
:sing: I'm gonna hire a wino to re-deck-o-rate our home
So you'll feel more at ease here and yew won't need to roam
We'll take out the dining room table and put a bar across one wall
And a neon sign will point the way to the bathrooms down the hall.:dance: :party:

I could go on, but it would be so wrong.

@magerette- I think going as far as you did was already "so wrong". ;)

@Sammy- I see you're still in the midst of your love affair with your new fling. It's a good feeling, isn't it. Listening to the clips from that album, it seems to have everything a tiger could want, though--between the sludgy guitar work, the growling male vocals and the operatic female vocals, you've got to be just sitting back getting cradled in sound.

I'm already sounding like a broken record and the cd isn't even here yet. Anyway, that new Tearwave song ("Dream Bliss") is quite good. I think, for the masochists that listen all the way thru, that the ending is particularly cool..

oh yes, in total thrall here....

even better, they have three full albums worth of mat'l, and they all seem to stay true to my winning formula. In the back of my mind I think that I intentionally avoided them for this reason, to provide me with a musical B12 shot in a time of dire need. Like now ='.'=

I have all three cds here, but I'm resisting the temptation and starting with their first one, and waiting til I have it fully absorbed before I move on to their later stuff. Alls I can say is that right off the bat, first time I listened, I had it cranked up and was tapping my paw pretty much the whole way thru - that's very rare that my hyper-critical and jaded self gets into the groove that quick with a new cd. The beginning of a beautifully dreadful relationship I think

*sighs*

Bit of a loop. First heard this on an ice skating show (no, not Luc "dancing princess" Robitaille...blame Mrs dte) and was extremely surprised, given my general distaste for the band based on their 2 hits. Heard it again at the mall yesterday, and now it's set down roots in my head.

"Make It Easy" by Barenaked Ladies

Last edited:
For the past couple days, I've been spinning Malory's "Outerbeats". Wonderful stuff, even if they probably should pay royalties to Slowdive. Standout tracks have been "Lake of Doubts" and "I Can't Stand". Clips here, although the compression is brutal on the tone.

And, y'all can start breathing again. I got my Tearwave cd tonight. Oh yes, there shall be much rejoicing. Also finally got the latest from Autumn's Grey Solace, but it will probably have to wait for a day or two.

Tristania - Illumination

the new Tristania, and while nothing really like their older stuff, it's certainly better than the last one. I like it when a band at least attempts a recovery.

Today I'm listening to Handel's 'Messiah.'

A good selection for Easter!!

personally i always like to spend my religious holidays with jim white.
jim white and jesus, my two personal heros
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2667768
'if jesus drove a motorhome' video

the two other videos are also good, one from each of his other two early albums.

and one for dte since he is on a barenakedladies fix. they did a song with him on his last album. spent 15 minutes though and could only find a bunch of 30 second clips. best one i could find
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...09/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/103-0386525-0072610

Last edited:
draconian - where lovers mourn

This is the perfect gothic doom cd in my opinion, equal parts romance, sorrow, misanthropy, death, and even some HP Lovecraft. Every single song is great!

On my third listen today

"Now I ride with the mocking and friendly ghouls on the night wind, and play by day in the catacombs. I know that light is not for me, save that of the moon. I know always that I am an outsider, stranger in this century, and all time. Stranger among those who are still... men."

Last edited:
if you like space and or tang you might enjoy laugh at this song/video "space station pimpin" by earth defense force- they just put a video for it recently even though the song is a few years old
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2020164872 explicit lyrics

also in the spirit of humour this is an 'oldie' over six years by the artist sprague. the cd is excellent though rare even back when it came out. the other songs aren't parodies though like this one. make sure you make it to the last minute of the song especially if you like new-wave. the song is 'fake homeyz' and pokes fun at the beastie boys.
http://www.reverbnation.com/sprague

Last edited:
Hellomoto by...um, Motorola, I guess?
I'm just listening to the ringtones of my new (old) mobile phone. The old one self-destructed on Friday (the numbers fell out), so I grabbed the first of the unused ones on the window sill.

Back
Top Bottom