KoA: Reckoning - Three Races Revealed

This looks and feels more like a single-player WoW (with better graphics) with every update.

They are planning a MMO in the same world so no big surprise. From their FAQ:

"Q. Will there be other products available set in the same world?

A. 38 Studios has created a vast and original universe, Kingdoms of Amalur™, which contains far more content than can be included in a single game. The team’s goal is to immerse guests in this universe through an interconnected, trans-media entertainment experience, including books, toys, comics, and, of course, videogames. The cornerstones of Kingdoms of Amalur™ are the RPG Reckoning and the MMO codenamed Project Copernicus.
Q. What is Project Copernicus?

A. Project Copernicus is the codename for 38 Studios’ MMO, which is currently being developed by the 38 Studios team in Providence, RI. Copernicus will take place in Amalur at a different point in the world’s history. No details have been announced for the game, but more details will be revealed at a later date."

Maybe the problem is with my imagination, but I find KoA's universe extremely uninteresting.

This looks and feels more like a single-player WoW (with better graphics) with every update.

I have to agree ... Plus, the term "Fae" reminds me of TDE ...

Maybe the problem is with my imagination, but I find KoA's universe extremely uninteresting.

I agree.

I've said it before and I'll likely get flamed again for saying it again, but Salvatore is a hack of a writer, and a bad hack at that.

If he didn't have the D&D world to write about, he'd be writing Harlequin romances:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=harlequin+romance&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I tried two of his books. His writing is terrible crap, and I can't understand why someone would waste time reading it. But apparently there's a huge market for bucketloads of same-old same-old crap as long as it meets certain criteria.

That said, I still think it could be a decent game. CRPGs in general don't interest me for their writing. If the game play is good, I can go with it, even if I'm rolling my eyes while doing so.

I´ll be really surprised if this game turns up not being crap.

I'm not a fan of the art style. Everything is oversized, over-vibrant, and unoriginal. The look is typical in jrpg-type games. I prefer people to look like people, not cartoon figures. Also a dagger is the size of a two-handed sword, for instance. It kinda reminds me of the original Batman series. I keep expecting to see KaPow! show up in a screen shot.

That said, if the lore is fully fleshed out and there is free roam exploration, it'll be a day one purchase for me. The fact that they haven't shown any depth makes me believe that there isn't any.

I for one hope many of you are very dissapointed and it turns out good.

Agree with most of what you all said.

Setting looks mildly interesting to me, don't like the art style either even though it looks well done for what it is.

I love wide open exploration games though so if the world has lots do to and see I will be getting it. But I will wait for reviews to see what its like.

I like Salvator as a writer, not sure why so many people think he is terrible now. Admitted his D&D novels are his best, I think he has skill at writing but isn't that great of a world builder. He is good at making a story flow and creating good characters and dialog so if he doesn't have to create his own world he is pretty good. Nothing to deep or involved but all very readable. Loved his Dark Efl books and Icewindale series, most of what he has done after that are average.

I liked the Cleric Quintet series very much. I'm not a big fan of Drizzle. He was fine in the first series where he was one of several characters and okay in the 2nd series about his escape. After that, it was more and more trivial. The art direction won't stop me from getting the game, but I feel that the group has bitten off more than they can chew. Time will tell.

I thought their 30-minute E3 presentation showed plenty of depth. Tons of skill choices with many synergies, cool looking stealth attacks, lots of NPCs to talk to, and an interesting sidequest (a father asks you to find his missing daughter, but rather than save a damsel in distress, you find her making an incursion into a bandit stronghold and can choose to join her).

As far as writing, I find the premise somewhat intriguing. Yes, we all know you have been brought back to life, but they went into a little detail about _why_ you were brought back to life. Basically, magic has recently appeared in the world, and there are lots of people that are basically playing with it and seeing what's possible, and you're the result of one of those experiments. They hinted at lots of political overtones that arise from not only this momentous event, but others as well, which you get to explore. When somebody asked over chat if there would be different magic guilds you can join, they said no, specifically because magic was so new and its usage was still very chaotic. I guess I found it interesting that they answered a gameplay question about potential faction play in a way that's consistent with their story and their world.

And yeah, the combat looks fun to me. I especially liked the way that the camera dynamically panned back as fighting broke out, and adjusted itself to give you a clear view of the battlefield and all your opponents. Despite the heavy focus on action, it actually made it look _more_ tactical to my eyes than, say, Divinity II or other 3rd-person RPGs.

I also find the loot system promising. Yes, they are going to have randomly generated prefixes and suffixes along with powerful unique and set items, so they are blatantly stealing from Diablo and its clones, but I find nothing wrong with that.

They really are attempting to make an Elder Scrolls-style game with WAAAY better combat, Diablo-style loot, and a professionally-written fantasy story, all using the resources of a multi-millionaire RPG fan, and so far everything I'm seeing indicates they may actually pull it off.

As I've said before, at the very least, I have to applaud the effort.

I like the art style. :)

I liked the Cleric Quintet series very much. I'm not a big fan of Drizzle. He was fine in the first series where he was one of several characters and okay in the 2nd series about his escape. After that, it was more and more trivial. The art direction won't stop me from getting the game, but I feel that the group has bitten off more than they can chew. Time will tell.

Well I would agree with that, the Drizzt books started to bore me after the first 2 series. I think I read that he didnt intend Drizzt to be the star character but after he was so popular he became the star (follow the money I guess).

I wont not get the game due to the art style either. I actually think some of the settings look interesting and colorful for me I just dont like the UBER big weapons mainly. I think they look stupid.

I thought their 30-minute E3 presentation showed plenty of depth. Tons of skill choices with many synergies, cool looking stealth attacks, lots of NPCs to talk to, and an interesting sidequest (a father asks you to find his missing daughter, but rather than save a damsel in distress, you find her making an incursion into a bandit stronghold and can choose to join her).

As far as writing, I find the premise somewhat intriguing. Yes, we all know you have been brought back to life, but they went into a little detail about _why_ you were brought back to life. Basically, magic has recently appeared in the world, and there are lots of people that are basically playing with it and seeing what's possible, and you're the result of one of those experiments. They hinted at lots of political overtones that arise from not only this momentous event, but others as well, which you get to explore. When somebody asked over chat if there would be different magic guilds you can join, they said no, specifically because magic was so new and its usage was still very chaotic. I guess I found it interesting that they answered a gameplay question about potential faction play in a way that's consistent with their story and their world.

And yeah, the combat looks fun to me. I especially liked the way that the camera dynamically panned back as fighting broke out, and adjusted itself to give you a clear view of the battlefield and all your opponents. Despite the heavy focus on action, it actually made it look _more_ tactical to my eyes than, say, Divinity II or other 3rd-person RPGs.

I also find the loot system promising. Yes, they are going to have randomly generated prefixes and suffixes along with powerful unique and set items, so they are blatantly stealing from Diablo and its clones, but I find nothing wrong with that.

They really are attempting to make an Elder Scrolls-style game with WAAAY better combat, Diablo-style loot, and a professionally-written fantasy story, all using the resources of a multi-millionaire RPG fan, and so far everything I'm seeing indicates they may actually pull it off.

As I've said before, at the very least, I have to applaud the effort.

Thanks for the info, gives me a bit more hope about the game.

Honestly I dont really care about combat because I have lost hope that good combat will ever exist again in RPGs. It's been a crappy hack fest ever since things went away from turn based combat for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom