THE OUTER WORLDS Reveal Trailer

That's new. I wonder why noone used it so far.

Not even new!

It doesn't come installed by default, but there's a billion hair simulators you can plug in to Unreal.

People don't use them because it's a massive waste of performance.

Let's google for some examples!

^ 2015

You see? If you use hairworks you'll have no processing power left to add a body!

People don't use them because it's a massive waste of performance.
My GTX 1070 suggests there is no massive waste of performance, just massive gain of fur quality. :)

My GTX 1070 suggests there is no massive waste of performance, just massive gain of fur quality. :)

I've played around with Witcher3 settings. It's just not a very demanding game.

Hairworks off = 135 FPS
Hairworks on = 100 FPS

35 FPS is a big deal. Console games mostly run at 30 FPS.

What happens when a newer game requires more processing power just because of increased polygon count and other classic reasons? If you're only getting 60FPS in a future game on a 1070 then you'll be down to 25FPS if you turn hair simulation on, which is pretty much a slide show.

So, do we want better overall scene fidelity or keep things the same and give everyone simulated hair strands? There's pretty much no special effects that are worth a performance hit that bad. Work done on optimisation is busting its ass to get 1FPS more from here and there. 35FPS? it's literally a joke. At least it's off by default. :)

And, yes, I know ur just trolling :p

Yeah, ok. :roll:

What are your system specs? You're not getting 100 FPS with Hairworks on with a GTX 1070. Not unless you have a whole lot of other options turned way down.

Yeah, ok. :roll:

What are your system specs? You're not getting 100 FPS with Hairworks on with a GTX 1070. Not unless you have a whole lot of other options turned way down.

Yeah, I don't remember exactly but it's a custom setting. Mostly High, not ultra. The aim was to get 144fps for my 144FPS monitor.

Can't care less about 10 years old technology in consoles.

Yes, but not everyone. The game is AA, not AAA. The difference is $ invested in it.

Won't comment the rest, JDR beaten me to it.

Hairworks off = 135 FPS
Hairworks on = 100 FPS

What happens when a newer game requires more processing power just because of increased polygon count and other classic reasons? If you're only getting 60FPS in a future game on a 1070 then you'll be down to 25FPS if you turn hair simulation on, which is pretty much a slide show.

So, do we want better overall scene fidelity or keep things the same and give everyone simulated hair strands? There's pretty much no special effects that are worth a performance hit that bad. Work done on optimisation is busting its ass to get 1FPS more from here and there. 35FPS? it's literally a joke. At least it's off by default. :)

But 35 fps isn't a big deal when the difference is 100 vs 135 and the player has a 60 Hz monitor, in fact it's completely irrelevant in that situation and if it makes the game look better it'd certainly be worth turning on. That's why PC games have configurable settings. Maybe I'm completely missing whatever your point was though.

When I played Witcher 3 (4K 60Hz, 1080 Ti), iirc I played with Hairworks on and only got around 45-50 fps because of it but I was fine with that. Since then I've kept the same 60Hz monitor and upgraded to a 2080 Ti so probably wouldn't even be any downside to having it on now.

But 35 fps isn't a big deal when the difference is 100 vs 135 and the player has a 60 Hz monitor, in fact it's completely irrelevant in that situation and if it makes the game look better it'd certainly be worth turning on. That's why PC games have configurable settings. Maybe I'm completely missing whatever your point was though.

When I played Witcher 3 (4K 60Hz, 1080 Ti), iirc I played with Hairworks on and only got around 45-50 fps because of it but I was fine with that. Since then I've kept the same 60Hz monitor and upgraded to a 2080 Ti so probably wouldn't even be any downside to having it on now.

My point was just that you can easily do hair simulation in Unreal engine.

But then I was ranting about no one does because it's a waste of performance.

But you're right that in Witcher3 we can afford the performance it @ a 60Hz goal.

But it's also true that future games could make much better use of all that processing power by spending it on basic geometry and things that actually matter rather than computing individual hairs on everyones heads. :)

Hair is over-rated; just shave em… problem solved; hum that reminds me I should probably get a hair cut before i walk into a wall but that is a different matter.
-
anyway I guess hair is how you decide which games you buy...

If this project gets inspiration from Traveler or Firefly, something really revolutionary and not just an Elex clone, it could be something spectacular. I'm trying to stay upbeat and positive!

I'll be shocked if anyone thinks about making an Elex clone. ;)

The game looks pretty impressive to me! It's timing may be such that it will help me avoid buying CyberPunk too early.

Aarik D (Community Manager)Today at 2:32 PM

For all those who are asking, yes -- you can holster your gun!

Based on the reddit, you don't have to hold your gun while walking around.

TW3 spoiled me when it comes to hair. I'd like to have it in similar quality now.

TW3 was definitely very well optimised. They even optimised the challenge, depth and intricate mechanics away ;)

That said, you're not going to get a steady 100 FPS in heavy forests fighting hairworks bears or all over Novigrad on max settings - no matter what hardware you have.

But in most areas, sure.

Back
Top Bottom