Ultima Forever - Preview @ Joystiq

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare aims to reinvent Ultima with Ultima Forever offers some snippets from the game's lead designer, Kate Flack:
To begin, it will be an iPad game. It will eventually move to other platforms (though Flack couldn't say yet how soon that will happen), but at first it'll be specifically a tablet-based title. "All these tablet devices," Flack told us, "there's something very personal about picking up the game, and touching the screen to make things happen in the game."

You'll tap to move and run your character around, and of course tap to navigate the redesigned menus. The game will also take advantage of the iPad's built-in virtual keyboard, Flack told us, "to chat with other players." A virtual joystick or buttons won't be an option at all. "I don't like them," said Flack.

As we've heard previously, the game is a reboot based on Ultima 4, so it will include many of the same situations and quests, but also updated content. Flack said the map is generally the same, though "we've expanded some things, we've moved a couple of things around on the map. We have quite a graphical fidelity now, so we're able to go into more detail on what things look like." The conversation system has changed as well. "You won't sit there and try to get keywords when you're clicking on things," Flack said.

I got to see a few gameplay shots at Comic-Con (though, unfortunately, EA's PR declined to approve those for posting), and the game does look like Ultima 4's flattened isometric view, albeit with the generous additions of next-gen resolutions and models. Some of Sosaria's original landmarks are in there as well, though they look more like later games in the series than Quest for the Avatar specifically.
More information.

Hahaha ya, I agree. An ipad looks good for playing tic tac toe or games like that, but an rpg?? No. I do like how they put that info up front, so I can just easily dismiss the game.

-Carn

Wow, an Ultima game (one of the most hard-core and oldest RPG series on the PC), to be redone on an iPad… by Bioware…… <stunned into silence>.

"All these tablet devices," Flack told us, "there's something very personal about picking up the game, and touching the screen to make things happen in the game."

Hahahaha. Oh boy. I can't wait until this fad is over.

Truly, we have seen a new low in the CRPG genre. What next EA/Bio, the Avatar romancing Iolo and/or Lady British perhaps?

EDIT: Also, Flack probably meant to say: "touching the screen to make AWESOME things happen in the game!!"

A virtual joystick or buttons won't be an option at all. "I don't like them," said Flack.

Well that's a pretty silly reason not to include it. I'd certainly prefer to press down on a virtual up button to move down a long road then I would want to spend every 2 seconds re-tapping the screen to keep my character moving.

Truly, we have seen a new low in the CRPG genre. What next EA/Bio, the Avatar romancing Iolo and/or Lady British perhaps?

They wouldn't be introducing anything new though - it's not like romance and straight/gay (off-screen) sex is unknown in Ultima and Ultima related games. It may be over a decade since I played them but I still remember both ultima 6 and 7 you could pay for 'time' with a select person of the same gender. And Ultima Savage Empire had romance options with the tribal princess (and her sister, but she was more of an 'evil/unvirtuous' option). I think Ultima 7 had a romance option as well.

A virtual joystick or buttons won't be an option at all. "I don't like them," said Flack.

Well that's a pretty silly reason not to include it. I'd certainly prefer to press down on a virtual up button to move down a long road then I would want to spend every 2 seconds re-tapping the screen to keep my character moving.
Why not just hold down your finger in the direction you want the character to go? Just like Ultima on the PC...

I'd rather see mobile platforms catching up to the PC - or hell, even consoles - in terms of complexity, rather than see them go extinct (*cough* N-Gage *cough*), but that is a looong way ahead of us.

They wouldn't be introducing anything new though - it's not like romance and straight/gay (off-screen) sex is unknown in Ultima and Ultima related games. It may be over a decade since I played them but I still remember both ultima 6 and 7 you could pay for 'time' with a select person of the same gender. And Ultima Savage Empire had romance options with the tribal princess (and her sister, but she was more of an 'evil/unvirtuous' option). I think Ultima 7 had a romance option as well.

There's explicit on-screen sex in Ultima 7 Part 2, complete with full frontal nudity. If you're playing a female Avatar, it's explicit on-screen *lesbian* sex! Granted it's done with character models that are something like 32 pixels high, but it's there.

I lost ANY faith for this team when they started bashing classic literature as unreadable, and older films as unwatchable.

The only thing personal about tablet games is how insulted you are after trying one..

I mean Really.. Really? Is this what this generation is going to be growing up on.. Tablets?

I hate tablets.. Can't stand the things.. Slow and clunky OS and very limited options.. And the games.. oh god the games.. how horrible..

This will be no different..

The main problem with tablets is the interface. I don't like having my fingers blocking stuff on-screen. On-screen d-pads help a little bit but are still not ideal and they don't feel anything like real buttons or keys.

Tablets seem to have good enough hardware to run decent games, it's just that most developers are still too focused on shallow games for the casual market.

You are going to wait a long time, my friend, and when it really is over the tablet will be replaced with something new, not something familiar.

You are going to wait a long time, my friend, and when it really is over the tablet will be replaced with something new, not something familiar.

and then we'll bag on that wishing for the good old days of monochrome Gameboys when games used to be about fun.

Rather than pour forth some suitably ascerbic comments; I think I'd rather let the characters from Ultima IV speak for me.

Publius, a sleepy fighter: Oh what is left when honour is gone?

Pinrod On Justice: “Justice is hardest to find at the point of a sword, the steel is an
agent of Justice, humanity the perpetrator.

Aristotle, a paladin:
"Dignity consists in not posessing honours, but deserving them..." (Ug, What did U4 do to deserve this?)

A ghost named Ghostly speaking on behalf of U4:
Peace I can never find, forever banished unto the realm of earthbound spirits!
Be not proud of thy little deeds, EA/Bioware lest ye too fall from the light..."

Wise bard, Dickens:
“Stories are good for the spirit”. Remember, no-one is useless in this world who
lightens the burdens of others. Be sure thy net good exceeds thy net evil!

Ambule the beggar: "Oh, please, oh please..."

Sebastian, an injured person:
"I have a terrible secret! Mondain’s influence has not yet left the world...."

Ignap, a towering wizard: To step into those Biowarian woods will seal thy doom!
In there lies the dark side, enter not! Evil shall consume thee!

Ambule the beggar: (reprise) "Oh, please, oh please..."

Sadly though, If all else is imaginary, this is real.........

Back
Top Bottom