Fable 3 - Hands-on @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has some hands-on impressions of Fable III based on a visit to Lionhead's headquarters. It's all rather positive, actually:
Last week, I ventured to the British developer’s headquarters in leafy, mobile phone reception-free outer Guildford and sat down with the impending PC build of their action-RPG for around three hours. I enjoyed them, and more than I’d expected to. While I am nominally a fan of the Fable games, I hadn’t yet got around to more than a fraction of III: largely due to word of mouth claiming it had strayed too far into the ‘anyone can play’ casualness the series has long-chased. Fortunately for the discerning PC gamer, Lionhead have taken some of that criticism on the chin and made some pretty significant revamps to make it a more meaty, challenging and tactical experience.
More information.

if Fable III had remained a game in which you almost had to force yourself to get killed. Infamously easy, its original version alone would not have sat well with us quick-reflexed punishment-gluttons. The game’s PC producer nods silently and solemnly when I ask if he would recommend I dive straight into the new ‘hardcore’ mode rather than the standard one. I’m glad I did.

I am not ashamed to admit to a few deaths; something I understand happened very rarely in the 360/normal version. Primarily changed is enemy AI, so they’re quicker and more reactive, and the health system – no more of that namby-pamby auto-recharge here. Instead, you’re reliant on potions and food, so tried and tested RPG inventory management and shopping sneaks back into the game. You’re a dungeon adventurer now, not a dungeon tourist.

Damned skippy, so glad we PC gamers are getting this new Hardcore mode. I heard so much complaining about how ridiculously easy the 360 ver was from friends and various gaming websites that I was quite concerned about the PC version. Not anymore though...

I will definitely be purchasing this title now! And damnit, release Fable II on PC already!

Heaven forbid they praise changes that make the game more interesting.

Do they from word of mouth and friends who own the xbox version the game is lacking and others call it simply crap.They had some good ideas but the end result came out differently. It might be fun to play and waste a few hours but I will be playing witcher 2 on release day instead of this game. Feel free to prove me wrong and say the game is an improvement as some might enjoy the new changes.

Last edited:
Heaven forbid they praise changes that make the game more interesting.

This. And heaven forbid that someone can have fun with game that isn't 100% hardcore RPG to the end but rather an action adventure with RPG elements. That would be horrible. How can someone at RPS have the opinion that this game doesn't suck. I say we burn them on the stake.

:p

Well, I'd still need Fable 2 for this to make sense.

Why on earth would we want to play a game without the immediate prequel?

While I don't normally take things personally, I have a hard time seeing the Fable 1 - No Fable 2 - Fable 3 progression as anything but a blatant slap in the face of PC gamers.

To add insult to injury - the engines are supposed to be nearly identical - so the workload would have been minimal.

Well, I'd still need Fable 2 for this to make sense.

Why on earth would we want to play a game without the immediate prequel?

While I don't normally take things personally, I have a hard time seeing the Fable 1 - No Fable 2 - Fable 3 progression as anything but a blatant slap in the face of PC gamers.

To add insult to injury - the engines are supposed to be nearly identical - so the workload would have been minimal.

I'm shocked the third is still coming out for the pc. Figured it would of been promised like the second one then canceled by Microsoft with a lame excuse.

I'm more shocked they're not taking the time to convert the second one, given the work they're already doing with the third. Seems incredibly stupid not to do both of them and save a lot of resources.

I mean, if the third one will sell - it's almost a 100% guarentee that the second one will as well.

So, unless there's some kind of moronic legal contract involved - I consider the lack of Fable 2 for PC to be fully idiotic on their part.

As you say, it would be much smarter to simply not do a port for PC - if they don't believe in their product.

im coonfused, when it uses games for windows live, do you have to be online in order to play it?

im coonfused, when it uses games for windows live, do you have to be online in order to play it?

No, you can make an offline profile, or sign-in offline with an online profile. I play every GFWL game with an offline profile.

All the GFWL before Dead Rising 2 were essentially DRM-free, since you could play with an offline profile and never activate them. Starting with Dead Rising 2 they added a pre-launch activation (first time you play only).

32 reasons why I won't be buying this game courtesy of the Angry Joe Show. Even if they made the game more difficult the game would have to be massively overhauled for me to take an interest. The sanctuary is just one of the things that would have to go, put in a real inventory, the conversions for your weapons should not include (gift 20 people on X-Box Live…guess they'll have to change that to gift 20 people online), the DLC is ridiculous. You have to pay for the color black. It's their progative what they decide to leave out, but leaving out black so that you have to buy it to customize your clothing is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, if you watched that video did you see how lame that sanctuary is or how many steps you have to go through just to give a gift to your companion. The idiotic farting in the face of an NPC is just too much. Sure they had that in Fable, but this one takes it to a whole new level. The random gestures are not appealing at all. The map is useless. The bread trail looks ridiculous. I could go on, but I think that's enough.

After watching that I have no desire to play anything from Molyneux ever again. Too bad too because I really loved Black & White, but he's been going downhill ever since that truly memorable game.

There is just too much wrong with it other than it just being easy and I don't see how they could fix it all for the PC.

The dye dlc takes the 'winning' position over horse armor dlc FTW!

damn, I liked the previous games but this one seems like a bargain bin purchase at best.

I really like the steampunk look of this one too, could have been awesome

Back
Top Bottom