RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013 Voting

2013 was a dull year. I voted XCOM and Conquistador, games which I'd consider having RPG elements at most.

2014 is promising though. The Witcher 3 was an obvious choice, but after that it was hard to pick one among Eternity, Wasteland 3, Dragon Age 3 (yeah, I thought ME3 was fine and hope they have learned a thing or two by DA2) et al. Ended up with Wasteland second and Eternity 3rd, but those choices were not obvious.

Actually I am surprised that only so few mention the witcher 3 in the most expected for this year.
and although it isn"t a rpg, most of us played the older games, I am looking forward to try my hands on thief 4.

1. BG2: EE (who cares that it's old, if it's the best on the list)

Didn't like the other games that I played from the list that much. Still didn't play Bioshock: Infinite.

1. The Witcher 3 (with a couple of flaws, still the best by a huge margin)
2. Pillars of Eternity (hopefully a new BG-like game)
3. Divine Divinity: OS (the best of the rest; could be DA: Inquisition, but DA2 wasn't good enough to make me believe in it)

I voted:
2013: none none none
2014:
Witcher 3
Divinty original sin
Dark souls 2

As a side note I can't believe that eternity and wasteland 2 didn't make my list. Too many good games this year…

Last edited:
I voted Expeditions:Conquistidors, and quite honestly I was expecting absolutely nothing from it, which may help explain my vote. It is true that it is a bit of a strategy game, but I felt it had many more RPG elements in it than many games on this list. For example: a story (and a pretty good one), quests, interesting companions, and the gameplay was engaging. I thought it was much better than the reviews. I haven't played Avadon 2 yet, though I own it. I'm sure it will also be quite a good game, considering the other Spiderweb Software games I've played.

I voted Expeditions:Conquistidors, and quite honestly I was expecting absolutely nothing from it, which may help explain my vote. It is true that it is a bit of a strategy game, but I felt it had many more RPG elements in it than many games on this list. For example: a story (and a pretty good one), quests, interesting companions, and the gameplay was engaging. I thought it was much better than the reviews.
My thoughts exactly.

I voted for Drox Operative because that is such a win RPG.

Who created this list anyway?

So does voting "none" just count as not voting.... or can "none" actually win?

2013:
Divinity: Dragon Commander [only game on the list I played and yes not really an RPG and I haven't finished it yet]

[two nones because I haven't played any other game on the list, not as a statement on whether or not these games should be on the list]

2014:
Divinity: Original Sin
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Witcher 3

So does voting "none" just count as not voting…. or can "none" actually win?

It's probably is counted (as a statistic) but I don't think it can actually win because you can vote none 3 times, but you can't give any one game 3 votes so it would be skewed. And dividing by 3 doesn't work either because sometimes someone vote all-none, or just one none or two nones. But I do think the statistic should be displayed and acknowledged. I'd also think an interesting stat to see would be how many times people answered none-none-none. Or which game was paired with a none-none most often.

Might be too much work and hassle for the staff though but I think it would be interesting.

Could solve that issue by just removing duplicate votes for "none" - count it as the highest spot number at which it was voted for.

Well, yes. It's arbitrary nevertheless. :p
You could have listed a Racing game where you can roleplay a race driver.

I'd love a remake of Autoduel.

Drive Offensively. The life you save may be your own.

IMO, The "None" entry should not win anything, even if it gets the most votes. The poll is for registered readers of "RPGWatch" to vote for their favorite RPG. If Bioshock Infinite gets 10 votes and the "None" entry gets the rest (200?), then Bioshock wins.

One reason why "None" can't win is because some folks voted for "None" because they didn't play any RPGs this year. Some folks voted "None" because they played too few RPGs and felt it wasn't fair to rate the rest (I have voted this way over the years a number of times). And yes some folks voted "None" simply because they hated all the entries. So for all practical purposes, a "None" vote is really a null vote. It represents nothing in specifics. Finally, "None" was not a game whereas BioShock Infinite was.

Thus if Bioshock Infinite did win with its 10 votes while "None" got the rest, Bioshock Infinite is the favorite game of the Watch as represented by this poll - this year. Albeit with a grumpy electorate.
This opinion has been brought to you by Irrational Games and 2K games.
Fine purveyors of electronic media entertainment.

As Dajjer explained, None can't win.

Back
Top Bottom