What games are you playing now?

Overlord has been re-released here in an expanded version with additionals, so to say.

I haven't ever gotten all the way through the original ... even with it on GameTap.

Playing a few generic dungeon crawling hack-n-slashers on DS & PSP, starting a major DOSBox frenzy of FPS and RPG on my Mac ... more on that later ;)

I've thought about Overlord before--it's definitely going on the list for when they get around to a compilation.

I've just given up for the twentieth time on MotB--instead of reminding me of the best parts of NWN2, it seems to bring up all I disliked about NWN1. I wish they would dump the uber-high level d&d nerdification and concentrate on the things they do so well, character, dialogue and story.

I'm still having fun playing Battle for Wesnoth, probably the first indie game I've ever really gotten to the addiction level with. Not sure what's up next beyond another Witcher playthrough once the enhanced material becomes available.

I've just given up for the twentieth time on MotB--instead of reminding me of the best parts of NWN2, it seems to bring up all I disliked about NWN1. I wish they would dump the uber-high level d&d nerdification and concentrate on the things they do so well, character, dialogue and story.

You still playing as a sorcerer? If so, fugeddaboudit and roll yourself a tank. Lots of ways to do that, but there are few things in this game that can't be solved with a really big axe.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that MotB is epic level stuff. I thought the HotU expansion for NWN1 was excellent except for being epic level. If I want to be the blowtorch in the butter factory, I'll play Dungeon Siege 2. Once character development becomes pointless (I favor level 4 thru level 12, give or take, for D&D games), you've got to have a pretty good environment via story and interaction to maintain interest. I'm still planning on buying that "gold box" when it comes out, though.

Prime J wrote:
You still playing as a sorcerer? If so, fugeddaboudit and roll yourself a tank. Lots of ways to do that, but there are few things in this game that can't be solved with a really big axe.

It's true the balance doesn't favor my sorc, but she could make it I think, tho I wish I'd set her up for Red Dragon Disciple, (a much better build for this game--her Lore is too low atm.) I've gotten safely through all the endless round of battles up to and including the first ones in the Shadow Plane(rather disappointing--just a bleached out version of the regular world) but I can't make myself care about what's going on in the game.

The Shard, the Spirit-eating mechanic--don't seem to be that integral or even interesting. It's just been battle after battle, rehashing the same tactics. It's weird because usually I really enjoy those intense mage fights. Unfortunately, w/MotB the only things I've enjoyed so far have been Safiyah and her little manufactured servant and the various dialogues and it just seems I have to pay for every little crumb of the plot in blood.

Maybe someday I'll be more psyched. I do often have this problem with the biowarean format. :)

Last edited:
Supposedly, the game play and such is so good in MotB that it makes up for the epic level stuff. Not sure if I believe it though! I'm looking forward to Mysteries of Westgate as IIRC it is not epic level.

It's actually pretty easy to suspend disbelief about the epic-ness of it all. The only real problem with it is that if you're not a spreadsheet-head, it quickly becomes very, very difficult -- some of those encounters are tough, even with very carefully crafted characters. Especially if you're playing on hardcore. Specifically, you get to meet lots of critters with pretty impressive immunities, and you have to be quite adept at the rock-paper-scissors dimension of it. IOW, by no means is it butter-and-blowtorch territory.

But then that shouldn't be an issue for you, if I'm not mistaken.

I paused Puzzle Quest, FFIX and the Catacomb Armageddon to start my second tour of Heretic in 2008. As I hardly don't play anything at all anymore -actually weeks may pass between two gaming sessions nowadays-, two serious fits of playing Heretic in two months is... extraordinary.

I've thought about Overlord before--it's definitely going on the list for when they get around to a compilation.

[...]

I'm still having fun playing Battle for Wesnoth, probably the first indie game I've ever really gotten to the addiction level with. Not sure what's up next beyond another Witcher playthrough once the enhanced material becomes available.

To combine both themes in your post ... : Have you ever tried Age of Wonders ? And its successors ?

It was made by the same studio that did Overlord ... ;)

(Whereas the original Age of Wonders game is imho more RPG-related than its two successord. It has its own charm among the three games.)

Edit: I installed both NWN1 addons and I'm playing them right now ... Now I must look out for good modules ... ;)

I finished NWN2 MotB as a Cleric/Sacred Fist. I've always enjoyed playing the monk class but miss having a little magic to throw around when I do. This was a really neat combo and it made MotB fun, even with the micro-management of "hunger". When I ran into critters that I had a hard time bashing, or my party had used up its spells, I had a reserve of spells to bring out.

Monk is indeed quite fun--I think I played SoU as a Monk. (I normally prefer a spellcaster, but NWN1 structure sort of ruled that out.) If I ever get re-inspired, perhaps I will ditch my sorc, but right now my interest level is nil.

@Alrik--I've played a little AoW--its a decent little game. It's just never taken hold with me like Disciples or HoMM. :)

Damn you, magerette! You tempted me to have another look at Wesnoth, and now I'm hooked! I'm wasting time with it instead of training for the upcoming on-line Mark of Chaos campaign. Grrr...

;-)

NWN1 always says that it could not make an MP account for me; what could be the reasons ?

I bought the standard game (CD-ROM) on a flea market, had a DVD with the full game & expansions) from a German gaming Magazine (I think it was PC Games), but bought the expansions for CD-ROM as I reported, because my DVD drive doesn't read DVDs anymore, only CDs.

So - everything should be legal. The only point could be the standard game I bought on a flea market.

I used the key numbers from the CD-ROM expansion pack and from the DVD game, if I remember correctly.

Damn you, magerette! You tempted me to have another look at Wesnoth, and now I'm hooked! I'm wasting time with it instead of training for the upcoming on-line Mark of Chaos campaign. Grrr...

;-)

Ah, so now our positions are reversed. ;) If you play the Orc Incursion campaign let me know how you do with Valley of the Trolls--kept me up til almost freakin dawn last night..:p

@ Alrik--you might ask in the Team Corwin thread.

It's true the balance doesn't favor my sorc, but she could make it I think, tho I wish I'd set her up for Red Dragon Disciple, (a much better build for this game--her Lore is too low atm.) I've gotten safely through all the endless round of battles up to and including the first ones in the Shadow Plane(rather disappointing--just a bleached out version of the regular world) but I can't make myself care about what's going on in the game.

Sorcerers can manage just fine; the trick is simply to keep up your immunities: take Premonition, and have Safiya cast Persistent Haste on you, and you ought to do fine. Oh, and make enough scrolls with heavy artillery on them to keep you out of trouble.

@margerette: Okay. :)

Sorcerers can manage just fine; the trick is simply to keep up your immunities: take Premonition, and have Safiya cast Persistent Haste on you, and you ought to do fine. Oh, and make enough scrolls with heavy artillery on them to keep you out of trouble.

Scrolls? Good lord, she has about three solid hours of unending spells--if anything lasts longer than that, I don't want to be there anyway. ;)

It did take me a few hours to remember her character strategy since its been too long for my aging brain cells since I played the OC, but it's not that she's not survivable-she can fling three Meteor Showers and a dozen Maximized Fireballs at a go and nuke everything; or summon elementals at the CEO level. I really don't know what it is--I just find myself tuning out. This has happened before with other games--I just feel somewhat guilty not playing this one--like not eating your veggies or something. :)

Just started playing Geneforge 1. Just an hour into it so far, but it looks like I'm gonna love it.

Back
Top Bottom