Avernum 4

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Avernum is a nation underground. Its pale people live in endless miles of tunnels, pits, and gigantic caverns. Some come to Avernum to work the mines. Others come to hunt monsters for their treasure. And some risk life in the underworld because it is the only place where a person can be free from the total rule of the Empire.
But life in Avernum just became a lot more dangerous. All at once, everything has gone wrong. The savages and dark creatures of the lower tunnels, once beaten into submission, have returned. Gigantic beasts, shielded by powerful magic, have taken up residence in the cities, wandering and killing at random. And normally peaceful citizens have been afflicted by a strange, overwhelming paranoia, making even regular townsfolk unpredictable and dangerous.

More information.

This is fun stuff. I was wondering, though, would it be possible to play through the game solo? If so, anyone have any idea on what I'd need, or what kind of character to create?

A great game!

I have read of many people going it solo... but I can't imagine doing it without cheating... I had a hard time finishing the game with a full party... it's very tough at the end.

But I loved every minute of that game...

Yeah, saw those forums, but didn't notice a way to search for older topics, and, well, didn't feel like registering so I figured I'd ask here instead.

Yeah, saw those forums, but didn't notice a way to search for older topics, and, well, didn't feel like registering so I figured I'd ask here instead.

Check out this thread... it has a lot of ideas for you if you want to run a solo game...

Read the whole thread and you will get some useful advice.

Just curious: why? I'm a huge Spiderweb fan but I think a party is needed to add tactics and depth to the (otherwise simplistic) combat; is it the difficulty you like and does that make up for otherwise straight-forward solo combat encounters?

Mostly challenge, but I also dislike playing with parties, and prefer a single character.

Mostly challenge, but I also dislike playing with parties, and prefer a single character.

I believe that's because of the Roleplaying aspect of the game ?!
It's hard to immerse yourself in a game where you have four personalities except if you like being schizophrenic, that's actually why I mostly prefer playing one person.

It's hard to immerse yourself in a game where you have four personalities except if you like being schizophrenic, that's actually why I mostly prefer playing one person.
I tend towards single player because of my FPS history, but find that by playing the main character and assuming identities for others (in cases where the game doesn't give them personalities) you can role play decently.

Fair enough. I much prefer having more options in combat than just being more difficult. I might feel differently with Avernum 5's battle disciplines, which should give more active skills to work with.

Hi, I'm new to the game and I am having a problem. First it was one party member, then two, and now three of them won't fight during battles. What is wrong? Can anyone help me? Thanks, Tracy

Hi, I'm new to the game and I am having a problem. First it was one party member, then two, and now three of them won't fight during battles. What is wrong? Can anyone help me? Thanks, Tracy
That happens to me sometimes, albeit infrequently. The game locks on one party member and the others never get any turns. I don't know why this happens, but I've found that if I reload this resolves the problem. If you're stuck in combat and haven't saved in a while then run away save and reload. You can use to character editor to revive any unfairly killed party members.

Avernum 4 changed the ice spell into a firestorm-sized aoe.

I actually like the Exile games more than what I've played of the Avernum series. Only having four people in my party just feels weird, and I prefered having a whole bunch of spells over just having a few upgradable ones. I loved hacking my way through an Aranea lair and finding a Minor Mana spell hidden in its depths; a mere upgrade to something I already have isn't anywhere near as interesting.

Do the GIFTS show up in Avernum 4 anywhere?...

Back
Top Bottom