Hmmm...NWN Original Campaign is pretty good!

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
So I'm a level 8 Cleric and I've got Tomi (halfling rogue) as a sidekick. I'm in Chapter 2 now.

Why do people dislike the OC? Its pretty good. The sidequests are fun in chapter 2 anyway. I've had at least 2 battles that caused a few reloads due to difficulty - always entertaining :)

So why all the hate?

I wouldn't call it hate, but i have been expecting the quality of BG2. Only the OC was not the priorty of NWN1 , but the toolset. The first two chapters were entertaining but it went downhill afterwards. The second expansion Hordes of the Underdark had the quality the OC should have had (my English...oh well...).

Back in the days, I had high expectations fo this Game... and when it couldn't hold a candle to the BGs I was totally disgusted... right now, after two years of collecting Wolf-Tails/Basilisk-Tails/Dragon-Tails in World of Warcraft I'm replaying the NWN OC and it isn't so bad anymore ;)

The original campaign is pretty crappy IMHO, the story was really bad... the characters were really flat, the game was really predictable... hmm there was hardly any freedom... in fact I can't think of anything good to say about it :D

The original campaign is pretty crappy IMHO, the story was really bad... the characters were really flat, the game was really predictable... hmm there was hardly any freedom... in fact I can't think of anything good to say about it :D

I kill therefore I am? Certainly there is plenty of combat goodness!

Why do people dislike the OC? Its pretty good. The sidequests are fun in chapter 2 anyway. I've had at least 2 battles that caused a few reloads due to difficulty - always entertaining :)

I also miss that one ... but then I only got NWN when it came out on Mac, a year later. I completely missed the hype and expectation, and played BG2 *after* NWN. Indeed NWN is the singular reason for my RPG love. Looking back, playing it again, I still like it quite a bit.

I enjoyed the OC. It wasn't great, but it really didn't deserve the abuse it generally received. I think the biggest complaint is the fact that the structure of each chapter is incredibly similar- go in each direction on the compass and collect a widget. Obviously, there's only so many ways to build a chapter, but surely they could have varied something in the formula.

I think the issue for a lot of people was expectations. I played and finished Shadows of Undrentide and enjoyed it a lot, but the OC seemed very drab after the initial char creation--I think a lot of it for me was the camera/tileset being so clunky and the endless number of chests with 3 gold and a wooden club in them--the only game where I actually just stopped looting to get through the level. ;)

I enjoyed HOTU to a point, but it got so uber--I disliked having to pick thirty mage levels complete with spells and feats flatfooted just to begin a new character. I did import my monk from SOU and enjoyed about half the game, but got tired of the rote "find four pieces of the significant-to-this-level artifact and carry them to the authority figure" formula so well-beloved by the biowarean creative mind.

But when you compare NWN to a lot of the so-called crpgs out there now, it actually has a great deal going for it. It's all relative, I guess. :)

I found the OC absolutely boring.

I had no expectations at all when it came out, yet I found the OC so boring that I stopped playing straight after finishing chapter two. Tried to play through the game this year when I thought I had nothing better left to finish, but once again I quit shortly after chapter two, and set out to finish another unfinished business from way back (Nemesis: A Wizardry Adventure). I failed because it wouldn't run under XP, so I replayed the Towers of Darkness collection for the umpteenth time.

HoU was excellent, the rest Ho Hum!! Most of the mods are far superior!!

As a player, going from BG2 to NWN1 was... painful. However, business-wise Bioware were right to place more emphasis on the toolset, as it has given NWN legs like no other game before it. So, kudos to Bioware for focusing on creating a toolset that finally was (relatively speaking) idiot-proof. However, I honestly wish that HOTU was the adventure they came with out of the box.

I completed the official campaign several years after it was released, directly followed by the two expansions. The NWN OC is ok for multiplayer but I believe it's bioware/obsidian's weakest. The expansions are better. One thing I lack the most in NWN:OC is the advanced companions im used to in their games.

Like TXA NWN was one of my first 'recent' RPGs, and I enjoyed it a lot. The storyline, the sidequests, the way even though the game is linear you can pick which branch of the quests to follow first... I really enjoyed it.
SoU was better though because of the companions (Deekin), HoTU I never finished because of the puzzles (I hate pull the level puzzles). Together with Morrowind NWN still ranks as my favorite RPG ever.

BG1, BG2, Icewind Dale 1 and their eexpansions were excellent games, BG2 of course being the pinnacle. But NWN was a big step down. Sorry, but the environments were stale, the oc was unimaginative and the loot system was unforgivable. After a short while of playing the game I knew the trapped chest on the other side of the 10 or so monsters guarding it was going to hold 8 gp. Or a cheap gem. Or a dagger.

I really only played till a little past Luskan and I had to recycle the game. I'm glad many others enjoyed it though.

I think the OC was a strickly love it or hate it mod. I got totally bored and only finished because I had nothing else to play at the time. The addons were different, and while I still didn't like SoU that much, HotU was great.
I think some of the player made mods for MP that I have seen outrank the game.

dte hit the nail for me. Chapter 1 - go North, South, East and West and get the Waterdavian creatures (predicably, one in each precint). Chapter 2, go N, S, E, W and get the Waterda-... oh, whatever it was. Plus, no proper party made the combat feel more like a Diablo style action/RPG (which is how it plays, particularly with a fighter). I didn't like Aribeth (and just to add insult to injury she came back in KotOR hiding under a pseudonym. I know who you are Bastila! You can't fool me!).

Finally...ancient world-building lizards? Riiiiiight.

Back
Top Bottom