CPU Fan stopped working

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello. My CPU fan stopped working so I plugged the fan into another 4-pin plug and it then started working again.
Is what I did a problem or will it cause problems ?
Would you recommend returning the MOBO ?

I don't really want to be out of a computer for 4 weeks or however long it takes for a replacement mobo.

Plugging it in to a different header is fine.

I would be concerned however as to the cause of the cpu header failing. If its a new board I’d definitely return it. Being without a PC for a month will suck but having a potentially faulty MB that causes problems would be worse imo.

Definitely agree. If there is any whiff of a faulty motherboard, and it's within warranty, back it goes. Bad motherboards can drive you up the wall with weird problems that you never get to the bottom of.

Entirely up to you, mate. No way of knowing if it's one small problem, or more seriously flawed. Personally, I wouldn't wait to find out, because faulty motherboards can throw so many inconsistent problems at you. But of course it's also possible that it'll be fine.

Only you can decide that. For me , unfortunately I’m a bit OCD so knowing the header is broke would bug me too much even if the board worked flawlessly otherwise.

A bad header is not a 100% indication that something else will go wrong with the board. It’s not a positive sign though.

So unfortunately there’s no way to tell. You could just be prolonging the inevitable or the board could work a good long time.

*edit* Ripper beat me to it.:)

Are you sure the original header was bad? Maybe the connection came loose (which can happen due to vibration) or the cpu was cool enough that the fan didn't need to spin - many mb have special settings for fan speed on the cpu fan.

Would it be worth giving it a few months and if nothing else happens keeping it ? I bought the board in October, so it would still be in warranty for a good 6 months.

Are you sure the original header was bad? Maybe the connection came loose (which can happen due to vibration) or the cpu was cool enough that the fan didn't need to spin - many mb have special settings for fan speed on the cpu fan.

Well, I can try putting it back this weekend and see if it works, but it certainly wasn't cool enough as the temperature was going up to 90 degrees :D
That's how I noticed it was not working.

Ok, well, I'm going to give it a few months and try "you's" suggestion of putting it back in case it might have been misconnected somehow too.

I do appreciate the quick replies.

Essentially I'm going to use my warranty up :D

While probably not relevant to yourself; i did have a cpu fan stop once because a wire going (to cd) going across the mb hit the blades :) I think if that had happened in your case it would have been obvious (yea yea it was a sloppy build but the wire wasn't really long enough to reach the header and i was lazy).

Wish you luck.

Well, I can try putting it back this weekend and see if it works, but it certainly wasn't cool enough as the temperature was going up to 90 degrees :D
That's how I noticed it was not working.

Ok, well, I'm going to give it a few months and try "you's" suggestion of putting it back in case it might have been misconnected somehow too.

I do appreciate the quick replies.

Essentially I'm going to use my warranty up :D

While probably not relevant to yourself; i did have a cpu fan stop once because a wire going (to cd) going across the mb hit the blades :) I think if that had happened in your case it would have been obvious (yea yea it was a sloppy build but the wire wasn't really long enough to reach the header and i was lazy).

Wish you luck.

Thank you

Well, I tried putting it back to the first 4-pin and it isn't working so it was not a temporary issue, but the 4-pin it is in now works without issues for now.
Will see how it goes for a few more months and if no other issues come up I will chalk it up to a bit of bad luck on those 4 pins. Otherwise I'll go through the RMA process.

Back
Top Bottom