Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ? - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?

Default Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?

January 18th, 2020, 21:38
I found the expansions a lot better than the base game (poe); i replayed the entire thing and sitll fell asleep the last 1/3 though i did finish. Still need to play poe2.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 18th, 2020, 21:46
Originally Posted by you View Post
I found the expansions a lot better than the base game (poe); i replayed the entire thing and sitll fell asleep the last 1/3 though i did finish. Still need to play poe2.
Agreed, but by that point I could pretty much rush the game since my party was OP. Which coincidentally felt very ok at that point after struggling through The White Marsh and defeating the Adra dragon at the bottom of The Endless Paths. The final fight was over in seconds…oh well.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 18th, 2020, 23:33
Well part of my problem is the story was very boring the last part of the game (and it never really did grab me after about 1/3). DOS:2 and even kingmaker do a better job storywise and witcher (all three) are pretty darn good. This isn't about the actual story - if you were to write a summary after the fact - it is how the game presents it to the player.

Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Agreed, but by that point I could pretty much rush the game since my party was OP. Which coincidentally felt very ok at that point after struggling through The White Marsh and defeating the Adra dragon at the bottom of The Endless Paths. The final fight was over in seconds…oh well.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 18th, 2020, 23:41
To me DOS2 was actually worse in that regard. But i reckon that's often a problem in these 50 hour+ games, you will often get fatigued by the end no matter what, especially if you hit a level cap so that you take away one of the pillars to incentivise continued play (progression). I often *think* I want my games to be that long, but games like Torment:ToN that were criticised for being short actually felt just about right to me, same with the more recent Outer worlds.

I can play strategy games for 100+ hours, but that's usually over several campaigns with other games in between. I can't think of a single really long RPG that had me hooked the entire way, by the end I'll usually just play to finish and to see the conclusion of the story.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 01:02
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Isn't there an option to scale the enemies up to your party's level? I thought that was added in one of the patches, but maybe I'm thinking of PoE II.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 03:30
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Isn't there an option to scale the enemies up to your party's level? I thought that was added in one of the patches, but maybe I'm thinking of PoE II.
Yes there is. And if I remember correctly, you can choose whether all enemies scale to your level or just the ones that are lower level than you.

I felt the same about the story in POE 1. It's not that it's bad, it just felt a little boring and drawn out to me. I still had a lot of fun with the game though. Didn't finish the second one because in the middle of the playthrough I got short on free time for a period. Also, I got a little put off by the island hopping which I didn't enjoy that much, but I can get pass that since the story and the gameplay (turn-based combat) were really fun. I'll restart the game some time in the near future after I finish Witcher 3 (I feel I'm not even in the middle of the game).

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 07:27
Haven’t played the second one yet because I haven’t finished the first one. I was kind of hoping if i waited long enough they’d give the first one the TB treatment as well or a modder would figure out how to get it to work.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

January 19th, 2020, 17:38
I'd love it if the first game got the turn-based treatment as well, but based on how long the game has been available, I just don't see it happening. Maybe I'll hold off a replay of the first game until next year just to avail myself of that opportunity.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

April 1st, 2020, 20:39
I've been playing PoE2 turn-based for the last two weeks. It's okay. No real complaints. But after 200 hours already it's starting to become a chore.

Dilvish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?