What games are you playing now? - Page 650 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

September 6th, 2020, 23:05
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Probably a bug rather than something they overlooked.
It's disappointing they haven't fixed it. A quick search around sees it reported (and acknowledged) as long ago as November 2015.

From inXile:
This is an engine-level issue in the current Unity version, to our knowledge, and results in multiple copies of the same game files being loaded into memory. Because Linux has max open file limits as defined by the OS, the game hits into those limits and the OS won't let it open more files. This can manifest as all manner of strange behavior, which you may be seeing.
Looks like they never bothered dealing with it.
They no respect the penguin!
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

September 11th, 2020, 09:29
I tried Doom Eternal on Stadia and I've learned a lesson. It looks ok, not as smooth or as clear as on a PC, but playable. It is a much more solid performance than I had with GeForce Now, where everything blurs with movement. I have a 70Mbp connection, so not top tier but it should certainly be able to handle gaming like this. Anyway, the problem with Doom is that it glitches/stutters slightly on a regular basis. It was small enough not to be really noticeable at first, but then increasingly became a problem due to the fast paced nature of the game. After about an hour I gave up - it was annoying me far too much. The game itself looked ok, it didn't grab me in the same way DOOM 2016 did but I'm not sure how much of that was down to stutter annoyance. Anyway, the lesson for me is not to try to stream action games on Stadia, although hopefully a turn based RPG like Baldurs Gate III will work better.

So I've returned to an old friend and rolled a party to take through Icewind Dale. I'd forgotten how awesome the music is on this one, really enjoying it.

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

September 11th, 2020, 17:37
I'm playing Divine Divinity for the umpteenth time. Also the new early access game, Legendary Flatulence…nope Journeys.

So very old and very old looking but new
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 12th, 2020, 15:44
Outer Worlds new DLC - lots & lots of craziness!!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

September 12th, 2020, 15:48
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
Outer Worlds new DLC - lots & lots of craziness!!
I have such a backlog I decided to just wait for the Switch version. Been hearing decent things (if you like the main game … which I did).

Still tooling around in Risen - just hit Chapter 2 as a Mage. Really enjoying everything about it, hard to believe it has been 8 years since my last replay!
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

September 16th, 2020, 07:04
BPM: Beats per Minute. Doom where you shoot/reload/dodge/jump on the beat. It's pretty fun to play. Through in moments of panic I tend to lose the beat, and just die. But it is fun. I also like the music, but could see it getting old.

It's a rogue-like where you have randomly generated dungeon rooms on each run, and you try to make it to the end, while collecting coins and unlocking various stuff. It's pretty fun. The only major downside is the overbearing color palette. It's so over the top sometimes, especially the reds.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 18th, 2020, 10:44
Hades on Switch (PC also available)

If you like Diablo-like ARPGs, you will be in for a treat.
This is a very pleasant surprise from Supergiant after the way-too-self-pompous Transistor. Hades is super silly, and I like'em this way better.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 18th, 2020, 16:24
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
Hades on Switch (PC also available)

If you like Diablo-like ARPGs, you will be in for a treat.
This is a very pleasant surprise from Supergiant after the way-too-self-pompous Transistor. Hades is super silly, and I like'em this way better.
I've played Hades ~30 hours in EA and I like it a lot, but I wouldn't compare it to Diablo.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 18th, 2020, 17:23
I also played a couple of hours of Hades. Pretty cool gameplay loop. But do you really restart the areas from Tartarus, every time you die? I cleared Tartarus, and died in the next area and was expecting to restart from that next area, not all the way from Tartarus and needing to fight Meg all over again? Am I gonna have to fight her every time? That would suck.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 22nd, 2020, 07:21
Rn came back to the Witcher 3, so grinding it whenever I have free time. Didn't realize how much I missed the characters and the atmosphere until I launched it again

Pandawanda

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2020, 21:56
Reading the CRPGAddict reminded me of The Summoning, a DOS game from '91 which has been on the backlog for about that much time. So I decided to finally make an attempt to clear it from the list.

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to azraelck

September 24th, 2020, 00:05
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I also played a couple of hours of Hades. Pretty cool gameplay loop. But do you really restart the areas from Tartarus, every time you die? I cleared Tartarus, and died in the next area and was expecting to restart from that next area, not all the way from Tartarus and needing to fight Meg all over again? Am I gonna have to fight her every time? That would suck.
Hmm… you have to fight a fury every time, I'll put it that way.

And if you're anything like me, and you probably will be because I'm no savant, beating her (or the alternatives) eventually becomes very easy, if not trivial.

Going back to the hub is key to the whole thing, so you can upgrade things and talk to people. And as you move through the levels, choose boons. You do have the ability to skip ahead (by spending health, I think?); I never do it, so my memory is fuzzy on exactly how that works.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 24th, 2020, 07:14
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Hmm… you have to fight a fury every time, I'll put it that way.

And if you're anything like me, and you probably will be because I'm no savant, beating her (or the alternatives) eventually becomes very easy, if not trivial.

Going back to the hub is key to the whole thing, so you can upgrade things and talk to people. And as you move through the levels, choose boons. You do have the ability to skip ahead (by spending health, I think?); I never do it, so my memory is fuzzy on exactly how that works.
Oh, ok. Thanks for confirming.

I guess it does get easier with multiple reruns, but my first two fights with Meg took quite a bit of time.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 24th, 2020, 15:34
Fancying my inner redneck, I play Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (PS4, also on Switch, PC)
The game has a bunch of small quirks and bugs, but overall it has a nice Privateer-feeling.
Also the music is so good I want to upgrade my hipster city car to a Kenworth.

/gone cosplaying Kris Kristofferson as Han Solo

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 26th, 2020, 10:49
Started playing Mafia: Definitive Edition. It's a pretty faithful remake. Looks good and sounds good.

One thing does irk me. I can't remember if this was the exact some plot line as the original, but how Tommy joins the Mafia is hilariously naive. I mean, he starts out beingt reluctant of helping or being help by Salieri's men, and after one mission he's already onboard with joing the family.

And the same on the other side. That's all it takes to join the mob? Helping, by pure accident, some of their guys once and then torching some cars? Also, Tommy going to 0 to 60 in 1h, from a cab driver wanting to avoid trouble, to wanting to torch a gang's cars is kind of hilarious.

I was either not paying enough attention when I played this game 15+ years ago, or this is new. But it's not very good writing and plot development. Anyways, at least the rest is pretty cool. They do nail the authentic (or what I'd imagine authentic) look of the city.

EDIT: Watched a playthrough of the first missions to rememeber how Tommy's introduction into the Salieri family was done in the original game, and it's better, I think. Don Salieri is still way too trusting and very quickly offers Tommy to join the family, but at least Tommy's motivation is explained a lot better. He says he can no longer work as a cab driver, after his employer finds out about his possible ties to the mob. And also, Tommy is not the one initiating the mission to go and damage Morello's cars as payback for damaging his car. That he gets as a first mission from the Don. So, slightly better I would say. Also, I'm surprised how much they rewrote of the original. I would have thought they would take the script as it was in the original. They also modeled some of the character quite differently.

Anyways, it's a remake, it looks good. I'll have to try and not constantly compare it to the original

Also, another thing I'm just noticing now, and not sure if I noticed this in the original, but the Salieri family is quite small if it's that easy to get to the Don himself. But, it's a game.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; September 26th, 2020 at 15:55.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 26th, 2020, 14:57
Seems I'm one of the only ones that completely missed the Spelunky game. And with the release of Spelunk 2 in 3 days, I thought I'd give it a shot. And it's pretty cool. Platforming in randomly generated levels. So cool.

My only gripe, is the time limit in each level of 2 min 30s, when a Ghost spawns and hunts you across the level. Why did they add that? I'd love to be able to take my time with it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 26th, 2020, 17:48
I'm still playing the EA blobber Legendary Journeys. The dev keeps patching and I keep restarting and testing the new stuff. 4-person party and heavily inspired by MM6. Realtime world but with TB combat. Plenty of content for the $10 price if you don't mind early access. If you don't bother with EA be sure to put this on your wishlist because you won't want to miss it if you like Wiz/MM series. No sci-fi elements.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 29th, 2020, 18:01
Spelunky 2 just released on Steam. It's great.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 29th, 2020, 19:32
The first review on Steam:

My wife told me it was her or Spelunky 2…

Spelunky 2 builds on the first game and is bigger and better in every way. It's truly all the companionship you need.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
+1:

September 29th, 2020, 19:41
That name Spelunky brings to mind many NSFW images.

Anyway never even heard of the first game. Probably not my type of game.

As for me I'm replaying Kingdom Come Deliverance.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?