What games are you playing now?

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just messing around, and I don't plan on playing for long. I hadn't played it in years, and seeing a recent discussion about the series made me want to try it again. I've never made it very far.

I had almost forgotten how god-awful the camera is in this game. Is it just a matter of getting used to it, or is there a mod that most people use? It's really hard to pinpoint things during the more chaotic battles, and it constantly seems to spin when I don't want it to.

Last edited:
. . . after my antics with the quirky German-made Elex (btw, I think I'm one inch closer to the Truth, heh), it is time to relax with some solid oldie.
It's time for Albion (PC/Dos), another quirky game, also hergestellt in Deutschland.

Wow. Still an interesting game for sure, but after 20+ years, the design issues are pretty obvious. Nevertheless: this one is a great experiment that mostly works.

For the uninitiated: Albion is a weird fusion of Super Nintendo-style Japanese RPG with an Ultima-style Western RPG.

Imagine gluing together Final Fantasy VI and Ultima: Savage Empire, and you are halfway there what Albion is.

Talk about bipolar disorder - yet the game has its charm, and I strongly recommend to anyone who like some experimental weirdness in their gaming.

Albion is an awesome game, my most recent jaunt through it was maybe four or five years ago, and I had a great time revisiting that universe. Is it aged, perhaps a tad dated? Certainly. Does it stand head and shoulders above ninety percent of the games released these days? Absolutely!

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just messing around, and I don't plan on playing for long. I hadn't played it in years, and seeing a recent discussion about the series made me want to try it again. I've never made it very far.

I had almost forgotten how god-awful the camera is in this game. Is it just a matter of getting used to it, or is there a mod that most people use? It's really hard to pinpoint things during the more chaotic battles, and it constantly seems to spin when I don't want it to.
Wasn't there an option to switch camera from a mode, where it follows the avatar to a free mode, where you control it completely? Or something similar at least, may be an option that it doesn't switch to "relevant events" automatically. I remember that it was possible to fully control the camera somehow without mods but it has been to long to remember the exact details.

A bunch of interactive fiction, and I plan to play a bunch more. Ones I've played lately include but are not limited to Bogeyman, Sage Sanctum Scramble, Summit, Dopplejobs, Murder in Fairyland. If you like stories and/or puzzles and you think text adventures died with Infocom or only consist of those "Choice of" books all over Steam, think again.

Been trying some survival games. Gave up on Desolate and Valheim. Valheim seems pretty good, but I'll probably wait until I get a second key for household co-op before I play more.

I'm trying 7 Days to Die again, on a local (Aus/NZ) server. I'm determined to actually get somewhere for once. It helps that people on the server are quite helpful.

Other than that, going through a kinda low period, finding it hard to settle on anything.

I purchased Nebuchadnezzar, a city building game like Pharaoh and Caesar, but as was expected for a small developer, I cannot make it run on my main monitor. In windows 10 I've got my ultra-wide as my main monitor, but it's the second one as far as windows is concerned. And the game only starts on the first one.

I've fiddled with the settings and nothing has worked. Switching to windowed mode does allow me to move it around, but upon restart or switching back to fullscreen it resets to the other monitor. What a pain in the ass. I hope the developers respond.

The old Alt-Enter switch also doesn't work. And anything that might, will likely reset upon restarting.

EDIT: Ok, I've managed to sort the order of the monitors so now my main monitor is also my first monitor as far as Win10 is concerned, but the game still chooses to start on the second, non-main monitr. Wtf. Do they just grab de first monitor whatever API they use returns?

Last edited:
I purchased Nebuchadnezzar, a city building game like Pharaoh and Caesar, but as was expected for a small developer, I cannot make it run on my main monitor. In windows 10 I've got my ultra-wide as my main monitor, but it's the second one as far as windows is concerned. And the game only starts on the first one.

I've fiddled with the settings and nothing has worked. Switching to windowed mode does allow me to move it around, but upon restart or switching back to fullscreen it resets to the other monitor. What a pain in the ass. I hope the developers respond.

The old Alt-Enter switch also doesn't work. And anything that might, will likely reset upon restarting.

EDIT: Ok, I've managed to sort the order of the monitors so now my main monitor is also my first monitor as far as Win10 is concerned, but the game still chooses to start on the second, non-main monitr. Wtf. Do they just grab de first monitor whatever API they use returns?

While you're playing the game, you could just disable whichever monitor you're not using. Windows-P is the shortcut on English keyboards. The game will only have one choice at that point.

While you're playing the game, you could just disable whichever monitor you're not using. Windows-P is the shortcut on English keyboards. The game will only have one choice at that point.

Thanks for the recommendation. They also said a fix is in the works.\

But I watched a better analysis of the game from a guy that regularly plays city building games, and apparently A lot of the systems are just not there in the game. You can't lose money only when building things yourself. No crime/fire/disasters. No religion. No army systems. It's very light in the content it offers. Seems very likely they didn't have the budget for all they planned to do, since they're self-funded.

I don't want to refund, since I want to support them, since they're only two developers, but it's sad.

Last edited:
Wasn't there an option to switch camera from a mode, where it follows the avatar to a free mode, where you control it completely? Or something similar at least, may be an option that it doesn't switch to "relevant events" automatically. I remember that it was possible to fully control the camera somehow without mods but it has been to long to remember the exact details.

You mean "mouse look"? Yes, you can toggle that, and it does feel a lot more natural (to me at least), but the drawback is that you have to toggle back to the other mode in order to interact with things.

You mean "mouse look"? Yes, you can toggle that, and it does feel a lot more natural (to me at least), but the drawback is that you have to toggle back to the other mode in order to interact with things.
That is probably what I remembered, but didn't remember the disadvantage. Rose tinted glasses, maybe...

Yesterday I began a game called Heroines of Swords and Spells, an rpg-maker game. I'm not even sure how long this has been in my library, but now I'm giving it a go, and liking it so far. You start off as a thief in training, and the prologue of the game was quite lengthy, taking me a bit to get through it. When last I stopped, I had a party of four ladies assembled, and was exploring the starting town, picking up some quests and gear. I'll be getting deeper into the game later today!

Currently playing Imperator Rome and a new city building game called Nebuchadnezzar.

Currently playing Imperator Rome and a new city building game called Nebuchadnezzar.

How would you judge the state of Imperator these days? I know there have been a lot of mechanical changes. I tried it fairly early on and found it boring and lacking identity, but I would be interested to hear if you think it's worth jumping back into.

I'm a big fan of city builders and have now played most of them, or tried most of the different series.

I agree with the one of the top reviews currently on steam for Nebuchadnezzar, in that it doesn't look that much of a city builder and looks to be more something else. The video for the project looked interesting but, ultimately, all the buildings looked the same and all the fields looks uninspired, it looked more like a spam-fest kind of thing than a game where you can take pride in building something to be proud of and marvel at all the different structures and their interactions.

But then I wasn't a huge fan of the Impressions Games series of city builders in the first place, so I could be a bit biased, but the reviews suggest they are even more spammy and less variety-led than those titles, so, nah. For now at least. I'll still like to hear what others think & be prepared to have my mind changed.

How would you judge the state of Imperator these days? I know there have been a lot of mechanical changes. I tried it fairly early on and found it boring and lacking identity, but I would be interested to hear if you think it's worth jumping back into.
It's better then it was since it launched but I just wish they put more attention and resources like they did with CK2. You just have to use a few mods to make it better.

Yesterday I began a game called Heroines of Swords and Spells, an rpg-maker game. I'm not even sure how long this has been in my library, but now I'm giving it a go, and liking it so far. You start off as a thief in training, and the prologue of the game was quite lengthy, taking me a bit to get through it. When last I stopped, I had a party of four ladies assembled, and was exploring the starting town, picking up some quests and gear. I'll be getting deeper into the game later today!

I played that several months ago and enjoyed it. Only issue I had was that it's only chapter 1 and relatively short. I was disappointed when it abruptly ended!!

Warhammer 40,000 Sanctus Reach

Because it has lots of killing and gore. My favorite features are the flamethrower, hero and large vehicle units. I wish we had a ship-to-ship broadside warfare turn-based Warhammer game with battles like Master of Orion. But on a 2D plane and ships are smashing & shooting each other, A'la Rebel Galaxy.
Sanctus Reach:
Fighting with the UI is endurable: for example I can't scroll a map if a unit is selected in order to plan, where I want to move it. This would be intuitive. Instead I have to unselect a unit and scroll the map. :) Almost like XCOM, since leveled up units remain with me.
Playing it on hardest difficulty with all available units put on the map, just to see, what mayhem ensues. Unit graphics is surprisingly well done. Camera movement is trash: it should zoom onto moving enemy and show them firing plus my targeted units hit. But the action is frequently playing Out Of View.
Enlarged the fonts, so I can see text better.
I'm pondering frequently, why no new XCOM-style game came around, which is declared completed. Unlike hopeful Wasteland 3, which is still being improved..

Last edited:
Martian Gothic: Unification

An old survival-horror game from around 2000. I recently saw it mentioned in another forum and decided to give it a try.

It's clunky as hell. It has the old tank-style controls like the classic Resident Evil games, but it seems even more awkward than those imo. It has a good sci-fi horror atmosphere though, and the story so far is interesting enough to make me want to keep playing.

Forza horizon 4. :)

Using it as a kind of break in gaming. A couple of 5 min races each night.

I might have said it before, but I wonder what a rpg version would look like taking the gameplay of non rpg games. Introduce stats, levels, characters, dialogue (and story). Another example would be a wing commander game with a good campaign. Yes, I think these have the potential to be good rpgs. Something different than the typical fantasy stuff (a vehicle/fighter would be your avatar).

Back
Top Bottom