Final Fantasy VII

FF VII is actually pretty dark. It has its lighter moments, but it's not your typical cartoonish JRPG.

My only issue with the story/writing is that a few plot points weren't very clear. I think some things might have been lost in the English translation.

It certainly is not a child's game, ala Sonic. It isn't my favourite of the series, but it's certainly well worth playing, assuming you enjoy the genre.

Hansel and Gretel is pretty dark too. It doesn't make it Adults Only.
Why this fixation on ratings? Ratings are determined by blood & boobs. Hearts of Iron games, for instance, are rated E for Everyone. That's no kids game.

OK, this game starts out in a city built on two levels - an upper level for the rich and a lower level for the poor. The whole city is run by a company named Shinra. Cloud is hired as a mercenary by a group of eco-terrorists called Avalanche - but they are mostly nice people and include Cloud's childhood girlfriend, Tifa. One of the missions goes bad, Cloud gets separated from the rest of the group but meets Aeries (sp?) - setting up a love triangle.

Not long after that, Tifa is taken prisoner by a crime boss to be his sex slave. Cloud and Aeries rescue her by applying to whore themselves out to the same guy (which is where Cloud's cross dressing comes in) then, when they're in the room with him, turn on him and threaten to smash/crush/cut off his balls.

They escape, only to find that Shinra has figured out roughly where Avalanche is hiding. Instead of attacking directly, Shinra decides to simply blast one of the pillar holding the section of city above Avalanche's neighborhood. Avalanche goes to intercept them but, with Tifa and Cloud late to the party, they get slaughtered - and pretty graphically, too. The pillar comes down and an unforgettable cutscene plays.
And that's just in the opening twenty hours or so. Things go downhill from there. NOT a game for kids. Teens maybe, but not kids.

I would argue that if all someone knows is that it's a "5 year old kids game with kindergarden story", well, they don't know much.

Ratings don't stop cartoons from referencing adults humor that goes over the heads of children. The anime Attack on Titan is rated TV-14, maybe that's for kindergarteners too?

As Zloth said, ESRB ratings are determined based on level of violence and sexual nature. Unless you think 5 year olds are meant to understand being manipulated, drugged, depression, their relationship to other people and place in the world, and so on.

Sorry but it's hard to imagine Attack on Titan looking like Nintendo Gameboy game. :)
It's possible to visualize it as a chibi game like ff15 chibi version, but not as those low quality eyesight destruction visuals from the time before anyone here was born when god, I mean Nintendo, still walked on Earth. At least I can't.

those low quality eyesight destruction visuals from the time before anyone here was born

I was 24.

I thought we had a fairly high proportion of grandpa gamers hereabouts. Now I'm embarrassed -- have I been chatting with teenagers all unawares?

FF7 hasn't aged well but I wouldn't call them made for grandpa gamer's.:sweatdrop:

I was 16 at the time of it's original release on the PSOne.

Heck I still have fond memories of the original Atari/Sega/Nintendo systems as a kid also.

Damn I'm an old fossil at 37 in gaming terms.:(

My comparison for graphics start with Wizardry and Ultima, as well as the original Bards Tales. Anything that equals or exceeds those will work for me. Matter of fact I look for games that DON'T overstress my computer, or make my fans run overtime. Those are the genius type games that I'm likely to not only love, but to replay over and over in the future. The first dozen Final Fantasies all wore for me, save that eleventh one. I shy away from online garbage for the most part, save a very few exceptions.

Remake release date trailer:

https://youtu.be/Z3xSGv3Hfio

Gameplay premier:

https://youtu.be/kJvzzivkK28 (Warning: extreme marketing, attempts at acting by managerial personalities, and a whole crowd of tools - but there's good information in there for those with strong stomachs)

Last edited:
Except for the combat system, that looks damn good, and this is coming from someone who generally dislikes most JRPGs.

That combat system though… why? So we have to fight in real time to fill up a bar before we can activate the ATB system now? Maybe it's more fun than it looks when you're actually playing it, but color me skeptical.

Oh my....taking a great turn based game and turning it into some action-y game?? I was looking forward to this project's release, now I'll likely just avoid it.

Actually, this looks MORE turn based to me than the original game.

In the original, the game plays in real time while your characters' action bars fill up. Once a bar fills, you can go through the menus and select something to do. While you do that, though, the game keeps playing! Enemies will attack you while you're going through the menu system, trying to find that one potion you want to use. Once your do your attack, your bar starts to fill again - and you just sit there and watch while that happens. (Well, theoretically - with three characters, somebody's bar is likely to fill pretty soon.)

In this game, though, you can (practically) STOP the game when you want to enter a command. It looks like those things fill fairly fast as you make attacks, too. So you've got action while it isn't your turn, and plenty of time to think and hunt down your menu options - plus some sort of shortcuts for oft-used menu items. It sure sounds like an improvement to me.

But it's still a long way away. First it has to show up for PS4, then maybe we'll get ours with the PS5? <shrug>

The new system is still a lot more action-oriented though with you moving the characters in real-time and hitting a button for each attack.

The only thing that was real-time in the original was the ATB bar. Characters and enemies couldn't act until the bar was full.

Also, most of the FF games had two modes that you could choose between. You could choose "wait" mode if you didn't want enemies to be able to attack as soon as their bar was full. It was basically full turn-based mode. I don't remember if that was in FF7, but I think it was. I preferred the normal ATB system.

I wounder if it'll have the same story as the original or if there'll be lots of extras? Either way for people who never played this. It'll be totally amazing to get to play it for the first time looking like that. For those who already know the story, it'll be fun to see it all in that kind of graphics, but not much else I guess.

@joxer; The graphics is kind of typical for many J-RPGS I guess? even if it might not look like it the story contains such a things as gang-rape and terrorists attacks. So that is the reason people is pushing for the AO rating I guess. The story is acctually amazing, it is almost like the one who wrote it could see into the future. Because it deals with the biggest problems of the earth today, before they were the biggest problems. Such a things like terrorism and destruction of the environment is at the core of this story.

I wounder if it'll have the same story as the original or if there'll be lots of extras?

I expect there's going to be a significant amount of differences in the way it's told. The dialogue appears to be completely rewritten.

The story is acctually amazing, it is almost like the one who wrote it could see into the future. Because it deals with the biggest problems of the earth today, before they were the biggest problems. Such a things like terrorism and destruction of the environment is at the core of this story.

I'm not sure if I'd call it amazing, but it was pretty interesting for a console game in 1997. There were parts that I found confusing though, and some things just weren't very clear. I expect the translation to be a lot better for the remake.

Perhaps I was mistaken with my perception on first glance, what I'll likely do is just read and listen to what folks have to say when the game releases, then make my decision based on feedback. I don't mind moving around on a tactical field, as long as I'm not rushed while doing so.

Man, the original game has not aged well at all. I reinstalled it last night and played for a bit. What's up with the Steam version not even having gamepad support?

Back
Top Bottom