Kingmaker Owlcat studio report from the Big Deal game conference (March, 2)

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
P

purpleblob

There is a video of this conference in youtube but it's in Russian and someone translated bits and pieces in English on reddit. Pretty good read :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder.../owlcat_studio_report_from_the_big_deal_game/

Big Deal conference is a Russian event for game developers. Speaking Oleg Shpilchevsky, studio head, on how Pathfinder: Kingmaker game was developed, what difficulties they met and so on. From a game dev to game devs.

https://youtu.be/zkJUmFxU1i8?t=10539

Here is the video. Naturally, it's in Russian, but don't you worry! I am going to translate here important (from my point of view, naturally) parts. You can watch it also even without knowing the language since it contains slides with many English words on them - follow with my translation.

I am translating everything directly, with first-person speech [and comments] and while skipping all water and not P:K-related topics like studio history dips and so on. Too tedious, 40 minutes of speech, lots of info.

Interesting read indeed. Seems Kingmaker sold enough to be considered as success by developer (hopefully by investor as well). It sounds as if they stand with both feet on the ground and feel at right place in niche cRPG department. I just hope the studio will remain in business and continue developing cRPGs for niche market. Theres enough studios developing AAA action games with RPG elements out there (including Obsidian), no need for another.

Indeed, I will continue to support Owlcats if they continue to produce games like Kingmaker (+ more polish on release will be great). From this person's post, it sounds like Owlcat have already started working on the next game:

They have confirmed that the next game is NOT going to be a direct sequel to Kingmaker but instead will be a different AP. They were very firm on the "Not a sequel to Kingmaker" part, and much more teasing on the "probably a different AP" part; being unwilling to officially confirm that they are in fact working on another Pathfinder Game.

I'm quite glad to hear it's not a direct sequel. More of the same type of RPG, without the kingdom-management bits, would be just fine for me.

Well I loved the kingdom management part. Actually found it miles ahead of the Fallout 4 settlements system which I hated. Just get rid of the constant load screens.

Anyway they might have to ditch Unity to fix that due to how it loads transitions.

Wouldn't mind the usual RPG either but nothing surprises me anymore. As I played every type of RPG and setting already. Not kidding these games have grown stale.

I'm waiting for something original like Jade Empire again one of these these days.

Last edited:
Hope they will continue to adapt Pathfinder RPG tabletop material like they did with Pathfinder:Kingmaker. I would not mind a Runelords adaptation. They are generally superior in quality than pure crpg campaigns.

I hope they remain in Pathfinder universe. As for kingdom management feature, I find it ironic that I avoided their kickstarter because of it, just to find it very refreshing in actual game. After this experience I hope Im ready to be more open-minded towards new features or different approach to the genre.

I'm quite glad to hear it's not a direct sequel. More of the same type of RPG, without the kingdom-management bits, would be just fine for me.
In my case, with, please, but not as misfired feature (bugs, "permadeath", timed).
Actually found it miles ahead of the Fallout 4 settlements system which I hated.
You suck. :p
Settlements as novelty was awsome and fun - but in the end not only was useless, it was annoying. Instead of providing actual benefits to a "designer" roleplay, it was used as a reason to generate more respawned trashmobs. Bloody grind. Thanks to no respawn mods, the grind was easy to "fix".
Dunno how but I did get 100 happyness or whatever was the settlements achievement called that was severely bugged.

Neither was ahead of another.

Back
Top Bottom