DA:Inquisition - In Praise Of Long Games

contributor Dave said:
The game really does live in those small things: the herbs, the mining, the small quests, the tedious inventory management, the stuff that could only logically be called filler. It’s the length, and even the tedium, that make this game great.
Hmm.
As I see it if the above´s where the game lives it´s a pretty miserable life.
The author also seems to be justifying this on a simulationist basis, but ignores what kind of figure pc is.
I have to say that after discovering what´s out there in the open world, my inquisitor was not pleased that most of the cool adventures were apparently reserved for the advisors :).

Anyway, personally I don´t have a problem with "long" games per se, as long as I don´t strongly feel the length came first, content (and focus) second.
For my sake, DA:I would likely be a lot more enjoyable if the amount of open world zones was cut in half and the remaining zones were infused with a wealthy dose of more elaborate (in terms of presentation and design) side and mandatory quest content - as it is the main quest gameplay feels strongly disconnected from the open world and the filler/meat does not come with a particularly organic pacing.
Making pretty much the whole open world aspect based around nice scenery, crapton of largely low effort repetitive quests and few decent boss battles was not a design decision I appreciated at all, particularly considering fairly low amount of playtime available outside of it.
Optional or not, side content can be great for the sake of personal pacing, sense of freedom and replayability and it´s a pity that in this game taking more time than necessary rarely resulted in an enjoyable experience for me.

Basically, in this game I´ve found the open world element to be more of a waste, rather than benefit and I suspect it was largely due to "length" coming first.

On the other hand,
Neither the world nor the characters are as engaging as other recent fantasy epics like Skyrim or Divinity: Original Sin,
maybe with the exception of Skyrim´s world, I have to say I´m kinda having a hard time figuring out where the author is coming from here :).

I feel like DA:I was setup perfectly for me. Sometimes I have a few hours to sink my teeth into the game. Sometimes I only have a few minutes. On the days I have a few minutes, I can explore the world, build up some power, send my peeps on a few missions to bring me back some shtuff, do some crafting and/or gather some resources. On the days I can invest a few hours, I can actually go through the main story line and/or get to know my companions better. Long is good. I don't spend a lot on games these days, as I have other financial priorities, so when I do buy a game, I want my money and time's worth. I'm using the PS4, and the UI and combat works very well on it. I can see how it would be less than mediocre on PC though. It's not for everyone though. I know my wife would get abandon the game after about 5 minutes. This is why she kicks my ass at Mario.

It sounds like what you mostly play for is the writing. Some of the reasons people don't like it are: it's kind of shallow, the combat is kinda awkward, the UI is pretty bad, and the crafting is extremely fiddly.

There are as many reasons for liking and disliking as there are people :)

Not sure what your point is, though.

As for combat being awkward, that doesn't mean it's not fun. I quite enjoy combat - despite it being awkward - and I really like the powers and character mechanics.

Some people like those things too ;)

Ahh well I must admit I found the comparison of characters to Skyrim a bit weird too.
I love the elder scrolls games for the most part but main quest or characters were IMO never one of their strong points. (Haven't played TESO yet though)

Nah, I agree.

I never thought Skyrim was particularly bad, though. I'd say some characters are pretty cool (I really like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests - and they have multiple interesting characters, for a game).

But I'm just kidding around with GG. I find it delightful that she's so passionately hating a computer game that she must bash it - joxer style - in every single thread that happens to mention it.

I have a weird sense of humor and I'm fond of quirky people who are a bit insane, like those mentioned :)

Stop thinking about overleveling in the main story! It doesn't matter.
Yes the game was designed for Escapist's "critic" who gave 10/10 to Dragon Age 2.

No, actually it does matter.There aren't any valuable rewards (xp or loot) because you're overlevelled. It's not just that the combat is too easy, but the rewards are also insignificant. It's a really sad missed opportunity on what could have been a much greater game.

Last edited:
Agreed. I hardly found any usable weapons or armor.

What did you expect, blue and pink items everywhere?
Of course XP is low, that's the point of the system, you outlevel something = no XP.
Why should that bother you? Like you won't outlevel Hinterlands if you fgo main quests first. *sigh*
The loot you'd get would be useless regardless of your level. You still loot gray items? Stop doing that (except in forgotten tomb where permabonus activate only if you take everything, again, due to a bug). Pick only rares and uniques, then sell everything you don't use.

You are still not getting it. Exploration should be rewarding in terms of loot and XP. In DA:I 80% of it is not. Especially once you reach level 10 or so… Even the tedious boss drops and xp can be worthless once you get past 10.

Sorry Thrasher but if you think the game isn't perfect no matter how you play it and if you think it doesn't deserve 10/10 then there is something very wrong with you.

And with me too. :D

I actually wait to read your input on it's multiplayer. Kinda hope you'll say it's better than ME3 MP which I couldn't stand.

Eh?
But… I mean I didn't even try it. What's wrong with it? All they needed to do is copypaste ME3 MP and make it bigger/epic instead of those smallish Counterstrikeclone maps.

Like Bioware and EA never break a good thing…

ME3 MP got lots of good reviews. DA:I MP?….. crickets….

If the corrupt press didn't praise it, then you can probably surmise it's nothing special…

Last edited:
I don't really think arguing that Skyrim's character are NOT better than those of Bioware translates to 'Skyrim bashing' or saying that 'Bioware is better than Bethesda', or other similar claims. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses, and 'characters' are not among Bethesda/Skyrim's greatest strengths.

I don't really think arguing that Skyrim's character are NOT better than those of Bioware translates to 'Skyrim bashing'. Or saying that Bioware is better than Bethesda, or other similar topics. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses, and 'characters' are not among Bethesda/Skyrim's greatest strengths.

You don't think calling Skyrim NPCs on par with potatoes is bashing? Ok then :)

But I wasn't talking about that post, I was, merely talking about the comparison. In case of the potato joke, well I thought that was that, only a joke. Doesn't mean that I approve it, but it made me laugh.

Nah, I agree.

I never thought Skyrim was particularly bad, though. I'd say some characters are pretty cool (I really like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests - and they have multiple interesting characters, for a game).

But I'm just kidding around with GG. I find it delightful that she's so passionately hating a computer game that she must bash it - joxer style - in every single thread that happens to mention it.

I have a weird sense of humor and I'm fond of quirky people who are a bit insane, like those mentioned :)

Ooops, now you are calling me a bit insane, because I am not that positive about Skyrim.... that's nice of you.....

Well, I am really sorry for bashing potatoes... I didn't mean to to do that, besides I'll have to apologies to Coach next time I can.

Ooops, now you are calling me a bit insane, because I am not that positive about Skyrim…. that's nice of you…..

Oh, there are many reasons for calling you a bit insane :)

But it's actually kind of a compliment. I like it.

Ooops, now you are calling me a bit insane, because I am not that positive about Skyrim…. that's nice of you…..

"Not that positive" is a little bit of an understatement in your case. You're like this quiet little mouse that goes into a raging, frothing at the mouth frenzy when someone mentions the word Skyrim. We're afraid for our lives when we talk about the weather because you might prematurely attack when someone talks about the Sky.

So it's not the Skyrim that's the actual problem but it's GG.
And of course, me.

Right.
It's GG and me who need to get fixed, not the game.

Yup, a little bit of frontal lobotomy and you guys will be right as rain! :)

Back
Top Bottom