Dragon’s Dogma - Ships 1 Million Copies, Capsom sees new franchise

aries100

SasqWatch
Capcom has released a press release that states that 1 million copies have been shipped for this game, it also states that Capcom plans to make Dragon's Dogma their next franchise with DLC and sequels. Courtesy of GameBanshee, a quote from the press release:
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that worldwide shipments of "Dragon's Dogma" for the "PlayStation® 3" and Xbox 360® have surpassed one million........."Dragon's Dogma" is part of Capcom's basic strategy of establishing game franchises through the creation of new brands.
The link:

http://gamebanshee.com/news/108563-...s-will-become-major-franchise-for-capcom.html

More information.

title Capsom

yeah, this IP really shows promise. I hope it outgrows ES and DA

hmm..some sort of console port. $60 normally for the console version and hitting record sales in Japan.

player reviews seem to think this is a WCRPG by a JRPG company.

We have it listed as a MMOG but Wikipedia says of its MP

Multiplayer

Although Dragon's Dogma does not feature a direct multiplayer mode, the developers have revealed that players can compete online with asynchronous encounters called "Events" via Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network. One such event includes the 'Ur-Dragon' in which the effect of each party’s attacks will be combined until the Ur-Dragon finally falls. Players that deal the fatal blow will receive the maximum reward, but regardless all players can still obtain both common and rare items dropped by the Ur-Dragon when they inflict damage.[19]

Gamebanshee also thinks its Console only still - so, by the awording of the article shipping actually means console sales.

Didn't the game need to sell 1.5 million to be profitable in Capsom's own sales projections.

pdf_161.png

Did you mean to link this article to 2Moons in the games database? I wanted to read more about Dragon's Dogma, but the linked database entry goes to what seems to be an entirely different game published by Acclaim.

Great news. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but it's constantly obvious that a sequel will be better. It's fun as hell to play but is unpolished, with weird menus, voice work and virtually non existent fast travel making parts feel way too grindy.

Only been to a couple dungeons so far, but they are very very nice. I'll preorder the sequel for sure.

Did you mean to link this article to 2Moons in the games database? I wanted to read more about Dragon's Dogma, but the linked database entry goes to what seems to be an entirely different game published by Acclaim.

No, sorry, I didn't. But there doesn't seem to be any info about Dragon's Dogma in our database, so I had to create the entry myself. And yes, it goes to 2Moon, since it its the first game in our database. Sorry about that :(

It might sound shallow, but I think they would have achieved more sales outside Japan with a better English translation of the title.

"Dogma" brings to mind a bunch of religious people arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

wikipedia claims their main page on this says it will be for PC. I can't read japanese so...

it came out on console in May. Why are we covering it if they aren't talking about a future PC release. and again, it doesn't look like a MMOG so our info on this on the front page may need fixing.

So many popular games have awful titles though, I don't think it makes a big difference. It's certainly way better then, say, Divine Divinity.

It might sound shallow, but I think they would have achieved more sales outside Japan with a better English translation of the title.

"Dogma" brings to mind a bunch of religious people arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

It is console exclusive, but Capcom have stated that if there is enough interest from the PC community they would consider making a PC version / port.

There is a large thread of pleas on the Capcom forum, plus on many other forums and some petitions floating around.

I completed the game last week, including all the post end game content (apart from Ur-Dragon) and while the game has some issues, they are easily outweighed by the good. There is limited fast travel once you get far enough through the game via port crystals, decent post end game content, and new game+ feature, though difficulty doesn't increase in NG+, which I found a little odd. But you do get to keep your level, skills, items, vendors keep end game stock. I just used it as a fly through run to gather up a lot more gold to fund buying some top level gear that I couldn't afford the first time around.

It's a fun game, a bit of a mash up of different games, but it largely works out well. I consider it the evolution of the Monster Hunter series, with Dragon Age party combat, an actual world to explore, and some semblance of plot. An improved sequel would be best, but as a new IP it's pretty darn good and I'd certainly buy it if it came to PC. I'm not surprised that it sold over a million.

It is console exclusive, but Capcom have stated that if there is enough interest from the PC community they would consider making a PC version / port.

Really?

I'm pretty sure I read that the game director said that one of the game system make it "too difficult" to port the game to the PC.

Beside, Japanese studio always make a crap job at porting, like if they wanted use PC player to wish they never did in the first place.

And while the game is currently only scheduled for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in early 2012, that doesn't mean that a PC version has been ruled out. Asked if such a version could also see release, the Japanese producers immediately laughed and became animated upon hearing the word "PC," with translator Miguel Corti revealing that they had anticipated the question coming up during the event.

"Right now, nothing's off the table yet," admits Kobayashi. "But if the PC users out there really are vocal about having this game, then we can definitely consider it."

Computer gamers, get your petitions ready.

http://www.1up.com/news/dragon-dogma-could-come-to-pc

It will be interesting to see how Dark Souls is received in the next couple of months, and just how good a port it is. If it does well enough it might encourage Capcom to try their luck as well.

It will be interesting to see how Dark Souls is received in the next couple of months, and just how good a port it is. If it does well enough it might encourage Capcom to try their luck as well.

Porting a game to PC is nothing new for Capcom.. they've actually done it quite a bit in the past. They ported some of the Resident Evil games along with Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 1&2. Their Resident Evil ports were aweful, but I can't speak for the other titles.

There is no PC game market in Japan whatsoever.

In the 15 years I lived there, it just evolved from Super NES to PS3 to Wii. Always and forever a console nation.

That won't change anytime soon either.

If you live in the Tokyo or Osaka area, you can get PC DIY kits and imported PC games but towns in the rest of the country might have some big electronics shop with a small PC section selling Toshiba and Sony laptops.

Localization out of Japan always sucks because English is not a second language in Japan, it's a foreign language. That's a huge distinction.

You could run around Tokyo all day and not meet anyone who can speak more than a few words of English.

It sucks because they make some brilliant games that don't get proper marketing or voice overs in English. (Try Okami on PS2 or Wii)

The funny thing is that Dark Souls isn't really a PC game and it's getting a conversion. I couldn't imagine playing Dark Souls without an Xbox controller. Dragon's Dogma on the other hand screams PC game. It's great fun, albeit it does feel like a single player MMORPG at times.

Back
Top Bottom