What games are you playing now?

For me, it's more about the control than the graphics. I can't even imagine trying to play Bioshock with analog thumbsticks.

That's because we're old PC FPS fogeys rather than console action-game kiddies :D ... I could picture my older son managing it ... but no way I could!

As for the graphics, I ended up playing the whole thing on that HP EliteBook that was barely above the minimum specs and it looked great on that as well! Amazing how well the engine and performance scaled!

Bought it, playing it. So far, it's pretty cool. I still haven't learned my lesson and Keep buying shooters on console. I Need to stop doing that.
Well, I do have an advantage at the moment--my dusty ol' rig can't run it. We'll call it patience. Yeah, that's it.

Well, I do have an advantage at the moment—my dusty ol' rig can't run it. We'll call it patience. Yeah, that's it.

You'd be surprised - I'm running it on a 12" HP Elitebook with integrated graphics and it is gorgeous and smooth.

Specs call for Vista as a min. I'z still rockin' the XP.

I'm glad to hear it runs well on low-end hardware - but I think this is a game that's begging to be experienced on a big screen with max details. There are some beautiful textures and great DX11 depth of field effects. The city of Columbia is not something you want to miss out on in all its glory.

I'm glad to hear it runs well on low-end hardware - but I think this is a game that's begging to be experienced on a big screen with max details. There are some beautiful textures and great DX11 depth of field effects. The city of Columbia is not something you want to miss out on in all its glory.

Oh, I totally agree - my point isn't that I was able to hobble through it on crap hardware, but rather that I am *astounded* at how well the team did scaling the experience across hardware.

As I mention, I loaded it up on my gaming laptop and the HP, and fully expected it to be like when I tried Deus Ex: Invisible War on a laptop when it first came out - i.e. crap, but functional. Instead, I got a gorgeous experience that made it worthwhile to see and allowed me to play and replay on a work business trip where I couldn't have managed the gaming laptop.

Replaying Icewind Dale 1, and really remembering why I enjoy these kinds of games. I've never played the 2nd one, so I'll be doing that next.....does anyone know if you can transfer characters from the 1st game to the second?

-Carn

Replaying Icewind Dale 1, and really remembering why I enjoy these kinds of games. I've never played the 2nd one, so I'll be doing that next…..does anyone know if you can transfer characters from the 1st game to the second?

I don't think so. They might let you bring in high level characters for a Heart of Fury-esque thing, but it's designed for starting characters. The biggest stumbling block is that IWD used 2E rules and IWD2 used 3E rules.

Menigal is right, IWD1 and 2 use different rules, so importing would be very difficult, or maybe even impossible. There are simply too many differences - everything from experience to feats and skills is handled in a different way.

I always felt that was a bit of a shame, as I really enjoy playing through BG1->BG2: ToB with the same character. I would've preferred being able to do the same in IWD.

Ah well.

PS. Experience in IWD2 is, as mentioned above, not the same as in IWD1, so making a small party is more or less useless. You might as well go with 5-6 characters. Unlike IWD1, you won't be able to get much higher levels by going with less characters.

I finally got around to finishing Bioshock 1. While I liked the story quite a bit and the environment, I had a hard time really getting into the combat system which was why I keep putting it aside. I have Bioshock 2 sitting in my "to play" stack so will probably stick that in before to long. I'm sure I'll pick up Infinite in time but won't until I finish 2.

I finally got around to finishing Bioshock 1. While I liked the story quite a bit and the environment, I had a hard time really getting into the combat system which was why I keep putting it aside. I have Bioshock 2 sitting in my "to play" stack so will probably stick that in before to long. I'm sure I'll pick up Infinite in time but won't until I finish 2.

I found Bioshock's gameplay to be bland, at best, and the sudden jump in damage sponges towards the end of the game initially made me stop playing out of sheer boredom. I finally forced myself to finish it on easy, just to see it through. It really was just the setting and atmosphere that made me want to play it.

Bioshock Infinite isn't Bioshock "3", so there's no reason to feel like you need to finish 1&2 first. In fact, it actually takes place prior to the events of the other games.

Personally, I liked the combat in Bioshock, and I played it on Hard. Maybe you guys just suck at first-person shooters? ;) jk

Combat in Bioshock 2 is similar but much better than in first one,probably only thing where 2 is better than first one(one of best things is that you can dual wield plasmid+weapon) so even if you didn't like combat much in first one there is chance you might like it in second.I liked combat in first 2 games and I like it very much in Infinite so far(I am around 3 hours into the game).

Playing the Planet Explorers alpha right now-there is indeed tons of potential in this game.

Haha new video card, Tomb raider and Far Cry 3 loaded but content to be chopping wood and crafting with this little gem. Hope they end up actually completing it

Bioshock Infinite isn't Bioshock "3", so there's no reason to feel like you need to finish 1&2 first. In fact, it actually takes place prior to the events of the other games.

Personally, I liked the combat in Bioshock, and I played it on Hard. Maybe you guys just suck at first-person shooters? ;) jk

Hehe ... I found the original game too easy and the shooter aspects uninspired. But then it wasn't really the purpose - it was story first, shooter second IMHO. I find that while it remains 'story first', Bioshock Infinite does a better job with the shooter elements, and has a better overall balance. Definitely my favorite of the series.

Yup, even though Infinite is somewhat streamlined and simplified in terms of the gear and the hacking aspects - I find the core gameplay much better. That said, I do think it suffers from not having a quick save option. Especially on 1999 mode - where I think the way checkpoints are spread out is just too punishing and I find it a sadistic implementation more than a challenging one.

I wanted to replay in 1999 - and while it's definitely doable, I think it's silly that you have to play 15-20 minutes between checkpoints, and sometimes even more.

I'll wait and see if they implement quick save in a patch.

I wanted to replay in 1999 - and while it's definitely doable, I think it's silly that you have to play 15-20 minutes between checkpoints, and sometimes even more.

I'll wait and see if they implement quick save in a patch.

That's definitely killed it for me. As soon as I know that I can't walk away from a game at a time of my choosing, it's off the list. At least with something like Arkham Asylum you can walk through a door at any time to force a save.

I'm going to start going into these designers' houses and taking away the book they're reading at random times, then force them to restart the chapter when they pick it back up. :p

Back
Top Bottom