Vaporum - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Chalgyr reviewed the dungeon crawler Vaporum:

Vaporum - PC Review

Vaporum treads into territory that I have personally seen very little of. While I love the Dungeon Crawling style I think to this point I have only ever explored Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox by myself without party members by my side. Taking things a step further, you’ll have to be quick on your toes because Vaporum while being designed as that robust old school Wizardry styled adventure that we all love, is also designed to be experienced in real-time.
[...]
Any fan of the Dungeon Crawling experience will find plenty to love here with the mix of the old schooled ideas and the new ones. Adding real-time elements to an experience that for so long as been turned based was brilliant and it works. While I’m not sure if the concepts that Vaporum introduce will become widely used in the future, I may have found myself with a new classic to hold others to a new standard.

Score: 8.5/10
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

This game looks pretty good but as far as the review goes, has this guy never played Grimrock?! Or at least heard of it?!

This game is faster than Grimrock. It's almost a pseudo-FPS in a weird way. Requires faster reflexes and quick thinking as the combat can get really intense at times.

It's a really neat game. It's much better than I was expecting when I played the beta. It really came out of nowhere.

Hearing that is more frantic than Grimrock isn't a good feature. Now I'm even less inclined to check this one out.

It's faster because you're only controlling 1 character as opposed to 4. I'll probably check it out but it won't be for awhile.

Based on what I've seen you play before I think you'd like it @JDR13;.

The battles can be really challenging, and you have to carefully manage your Repair Kits over time. I like it a lot but then again I also don't need every game to be slow or turn-based.

That said I would also recommend a Steam Controller for playing it, not just because I'm a big fan of the Steam Controller but because it makes strafing and turning more intuitive (to me, YMMV.) But quick example, using Left Bumper + Right Bumper for strafing. That's a big improvement IMO.

I'm definitely not interested in a game more "twitchy" or fast paced than Grimrock. That description makes me want to do a hard pass on this one. (Pseudo-FPS in my RPGs isn't something I look for, the last type of game I enjoyed in that genre was Mass Effect. I passed on ME3.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom