ELEX - Version 1.0.2846.0

In Wikipedia, there does this bias exist, too. THe various minor version numbers of "important software", mainly Linux-related, is most detailed noticed, but on the other hand there is a total lack of the same level of detail in articles which are social-related.

I saw this too. Several policies were suggested, so that all software are treated equally, but they were all rejected because more Wikipedians do not want to change the status quo.

Finished last night - seventy hours.

Massive game, flawed in some fundamental ways but generally a great open-world RPG experience.

Go on Madjack, I'm curious about those flaws in some fundamental ways!

Because I'm not in a hurry Fluent :)

Because I'm not in a hurry Fluent :)

Ok, but it seems like you're focused on hearing about the flaws so much when everyone here is saying the game is really quite good. Being not in a hurry is one thing but don't overthink it and skip a really cool game. Just my 2.

Exactly Fluent, I've heard about the good bits but I always want to know about not so good as well. Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly play ELEX at some point in the future. Question if I'll wait for just few more patches or a bit longer.

Exactly Fluent, I've heard about the good bits but I always want to know about not so good as well. Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly play ELEX at some point in the future. Question if I'll wait for just few more patches or a bit longer.

Got it.

Well there's some quirks still it seems but I haven't played much since the patch. It's certainly playable now and mostly rock solid, highly optimized engine, etc., but it's never a terrible idea to wait for even more patches to come, and that goes for any RPG really.

I played Elex for about 50h - 60h and this is my thoughts:

Tech
a) Elex is very stable game. I haven`t have any CTD so far.
b) Loading of savegame and saving are very fast.
c) I didn`t have decrease in performance of game even once.
d) There are not loading screens during exploration.
e) My computer is not new but Elex work like a charm.
f) You can name your savegames.
g) There aren`t items cliping in Elex ;)

Game - general
a) Exploration of the world is super. You will find something interesting in every part of the game world.
b) Map is huge. After 50h-60h I explore Edan (80%) and some of Abessa (30%).
c) Loot is hand placed and don`t respawn.
d) Strong enemies ( monsters and humans) don`t respawn. Weak enemies but not weak humans respawn afert some time but you can take skill/perk to stop them from attacking you.
e) You can learn history of the game world from people, holodisks and books/letters
f) There are not level scaling so you must take care during exploration of the map.

Game - quest
a) In Elex most quest have more than one ending and player can choose which one he wants.
b) In quest and dialogs you can use your skill ( there are 4 - combat etc) to earn exp, money and items.

Game - economy
a) Money (elexit) is very important in Elex. You can use money to buy items, weapons, armours, training but most important is using money to buy alchemy components. Alchemy skill gives you possibility to make strong elex potion ( + 1 sill point) and elex potion (+2 attribute) . To make S.E.P. you need about 1000 elexit for component and for E. P. you need about 500 elexit. Skills like Haggler (reduce prices) are very useful and skills to generate money like pickpocket and animal trophies are very good choice too.
b) Most items, if you buy item from trader, appears again in trader inventory but not all ;)

Game - combat
a) Combat could be better but is IMHO ok.
b) Eniemies are deadly and can kill you very fast if you underestimate them.

Game - NPC
a) Most people looks very similar and all women look the same
b) There are very few lectors

Game - skills
a) Skill (combat, survival, personality) are very important and gives you new possibilities.
b) Creation skills (alchemy etc) can make you game more interesting, easier and better.

Dont forget, getting "animal trophies" to 3/3 is a must, you can get up to 6 natural elex from some one the enemies.

I like the vertical exploration with the Jet Pack as well.

I hope that other RPG devs take notes, like Bethesda, and bring back levitation/vertical exploration in their open-world RPGs. It's so good in ELEX that IMO it should be a staple of the genre.

Nice reviews and match my impressions for the most part. I am starting over now that I have figured out the basics of the game. Had too many reloads and changes that it feels disconnected ... plus not happy with how I spent some points and such as I wasn't aware how things worked.

Is it worth taking later in the game? I'm level 20.

Yes absolutely, the harder the enemies, the more and better loot they drop with animal trophies maxed.

Some of the current flaws I have noticed in less than 10 hours:

Lack of explanation of what different skills and attributes actually do

Combat seems very strange at low levels although this may very well be because I didn't have any skills in combat

The UI is not intuitive and does not display all the information you'd expect

Some quests seemed odd. One example was in the first town where you are asked to help kill some critters. Five seconds after I received the quest the critters were killed by the farmers. They didn't really need my help nor did I have time to even kill one of them. There are other strange examples....

But all in all, the game is a good game.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Some quests seemed odd. One example was in the first town where you are asked to help kill some critters. Five seconds after I received the quest the critters were killed by the farmers. They didn't really need my help nor did I have time to even kill one of them. There are other strange examples….

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This is the unique beauty of Elex and in general G1/2/3 Risen1/2/3 series. Animals/monsters and humans - they do not like each other and as soon as they see each other they start fighting. So humans try to kill animals/mosters and vice versa. Player can use this rule very often in Elex to gain money and solved quests.

For instance:
I can`t kill reavers close to Small camp and Goilat. They kill me all the time ;( So I use Troll and after fight ( very, very, very short fight ;) ) I loot bodies.

btw. All humans and most monsters have range and close attack type so using bow to snipe them is not good idea.

Yeah, I managed to solve some difficult monster slaying quest by getting the quest giver to do the killing hehe...I love this aspect, very reactive. Of course, they should then refuse to reward you, but that would take quite a bit of extra scripting I think.

Back
Top Bottom