InXile Entertainment - Big Plans in New Orleans

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamasutra reports that InXile is opening a new studio in New Orleans. This might look odd as New Orleans isn't known for being big in in the are of game development area, but the many incentives offered by Louisiana are apparently something to take into account as well. InXile is planning a studio that gorws to a size of 50 people over the next 5 years.

New Orleans is an especially intriguing choice because it's not in a region generally recognized as being a hotbed of game development -- something Louisiana hopes to change by offering incentives to inXile and other high-tech companies (including Chicago-based High Voltage, which also expanded to New Orleans this year.)

"With each new digital media investment, New Orleans is becoming a brighter beacon in the tech sector," stated Jindal in a press release announcing the deal. "Our strong business climate and highly skilled workforce are attracting innovative companies like inXile to our state, along with the great new jobs they’re creating."

Fargo told a Nola.com reporter that inXile had no plans to expand to Louisiana -- until state officials came out to visit him earlier this year and pitch him on Louisiana's tax incentive program for high-tech industry.
More information.

Investments are flooding in to a city that is going to be flooded out. I hope the transition goes swimmingly.

Cheap real estate tho…

Maybe we'll get a hugely atmospheric RPG utterly laden with cool jazz and smokey night clubs? Like Fringe Cafe, the game :) I'd buy it.

I just hope they start work on that time travel RPG ("Meantime") that they trademarked awhile back. Sounds refreshing. I think I'll have my fill of post-apocalyptic RPGs for awhile after I play WL2 and Underrail.

Good to see W2 doing so well financially.

If the new game begins form the quality level of Torment and they completely forget the disaster that W2 is gameplay-wise and do a fresh start, I'm in.

I really don't like this sort of "race to the bottom". As I said a few times, Quebec/Montreal does that too. They give really huge tax breaks. While should the gaming industry be pampered but not other industries? This sort of preferential treatment, as taxpayers' expense, is not fair.

Good to see W2 doing so well financially.

If the new game begins form the quality level of Torment and they completely forget the disaster that W2 is gameplay-wise and do a fresh start, I'm in.

I like W2. Care to elaborate on the disaster?

I really don't like this sort of "race to the bottom". As I said a few times, Quebec/Montreal does that too. They give really huge tax breaks. While should the gaming industry be pampered but not other industries? This sort of preferential treatment, as taxpayers' expense, is not fair.
Why would you think the same thing isn't happening in other industries? Happens all the time.

Back
Top Bottom