RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

I went to look for details about the upcoming game Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem and I got directed to their Kickstarter

The last few posts on it were people were complaining about not getting updates

Then someone pointed out that there's a lot of activity on their Discord page.

This is a very good point. A lot of games are going beyond Forums, Facebook and Twitter now and going straight to Discord which tends to be very lively.

I'm thinking it might be wise to add the Discord server (if they have one) to a games profile, especially for upcoming games. News seems to end up there first instead of forums for a lot of new games.
--
Speaking of
I still have an RPGWatch server on Discord that no one has joined yet. I know we are old and want others to get off our lawn but sometimes we need to put down our faxes and teamspeaks and get with the new millenium and GenZers.

Here's a permanent invite link https://discord.gg/JgXByA7

We are running into issues with our lazy-loading of youtube videos. We use a Google API for it, which gave issues yesterday. Apparently we are reaching a limit on number of queries of that API, which means lazy-loading is not working the entire day. Especially on the front page lazy-loading is nice to have because it shows the page with all images and text first and then starts to load the videos. So it gives a better responsiveness.
Which is not that useful without videos..... Working on it.

I've changed the code to exclude usage of the Google API.
You might need to force reloading of the page (CTRL+F5 in Google, Shift + Reload in FF) for the updated javascript code to reach your computer.

Now, I'm going back to work :)

I've changed the code to exclude usage of the Google API.
You might need to force reloading of the page (CTRL+F5 in Google, Shift + Reload in FF) for the updated javascript code to reach your computer.

Now, I'm going back to work :)

When I used the Google Geo API you could set it so the client and not the server did the fetching and that way the server didn't run out of daily permissible hits. That's not possible with YouTube?

I noticed a lot of games in the database have their Steam page itemized for their Homepage instead of the website.

Would it benefit RPGWatch if they did a Gog-first approach instead?

We use Steam with our RPGWatch Group and the RPGWatch Curator. Combine that with the fact, that most RPGs are offered on Steam, so I prefer to link to Steam.

But its not really their homepage; its a homepage link in the absence of a homepage.

Good luck with that as it's a nightmare maintaining that database. I recall all the times most games had no webpage. It would take a few days to update every link. So Steam links work for me.

I'm not saying updating the existing database as it is now, I'm saying going forward.

Its just an idea that I think Myrthos might be able to generate an ounce of revenue from. As it is it gives better than free advertising to Steam - it drives them to their site where people buy. I know I've done it a few times.

I always use the website of the game, if I can find it. Pointing to Gog or Steam makes not much difference from a money perspective, neither of them is providing revenues for directing people there.

Added it.

We might have lost some posts that were made between 16:00 hours CET and 21:00 hours. Some posts might be in the wrong order (from a time perspective) and some might be double.

Sorry about that, I messed up something in moving stuff to a new site. Oh well, most of it is still there.

Yeah, forgot about that. Sorry. Unfortunately getting a certificate operational again was full of hurdles for some reason, so it took longer than expected.

I hate when certificates expire! Dealt with that for a decade or so at work.

Just glad things are back, was going through withdrawal!

Thanks for all you do to keep the site running.

Sorry, forgot about it. Have to look into that. Nothing has changed on our side as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom