Elden Ring - Narrative Similar to Dark Souls

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameRant reports that the narrative for Elden Ring will be similar to what was presented by Dark Souls.

Specifically, Miyazaki has now made it clear that Elden Ring's narrative will be more in line with Dark Souls' story than Sekiro's. This means that the majority of the game's story will wind up being told atmospherically, placing an emphasis on environmental storytelling rather than pre-rendered cutscenes. This is in contrast to 2019's Sekiro, which still has a healthy amount of environmental storytelling but relies more heavily on cut scenes to tell a story than many of Miyazaki's other projects.

[...]
More information.

And there goes my interest. I hate environmental storytelling using Scrolls & Books.:cool:

Ohhh...something, something enigmatic, mystical...the pain, there is no hope...but maybe we can?...clank, woosh, smaaash!..ok, we're done here, let's go for another sequel

I tend to prefer games that don't have loads of cut scenes, so this sounds good to me. (in principle at least - there's very little to go on at the minute...)

Can't hope for a good story with this kind of game, honestly. Hopefully the gameplay is engaging, but we all know this will be more an action-adventure game than a RPG.

With shitty console ported controls.

Ok, after seeing that awful trailer, my anticipation and interest is a big fat zero.
So I now am hoping this game is an "Epic exclusive"…:p

Last edited:
This doesn't look appealing to me at all, to be honest. If it's truly going to be similar to Dark Souls in story and play, those are two more reasons to avoid it.

I didn't think any of the Dark Souls games had any books or scrolls to read in them?
Yes they do if your interested in the lore. It's clue's you discover as you progress. So hence Environmental & Atmospheric storytelling as you progress through their games.

Rather have cutscenes and dialogue explain the story instead of clues. Anyway don't care about the Dark Scroll games and I made my point many times already.

Lore is told through a few short cutscenes and item descriptions, not books or scrolls.

I like that these games have a story that I don’t have to know about or follow. 90% of video game stories are pretty poor anyway imo. I was actually worried they might have more story in this game, glad to here it doesn’t.

Reaction here is what i would expect which is why I don’t often discuss these games here.

Yeah well some of us want more then story-lite combat simulators.:smug:

Left Alive was new game that followed the same formula, and was made by one the Dark Soul Leads. Guess what that game was a massive flop the first week it was released.

Thing is the developer knew this style of game was not popular.
Giuseppe: You worked for a long time at FromSoftware, and the gameplay seems to be a little bit inspired by Dark Souls, especially in the trial and error aspects and the challenge of overcoming superior odds…
Toshifumi Nabeshima: While it may not be directly about Dark Souls, something I learned in many years at FromSoftware is game design revolving about the idea of achievement and overcoming obstacles. That’s also very consistent in games I’ve worked on before like Armored Core, and I want to keep doing it in the future. I’m not saying that’s the absolutely correct way to make games, but simply how I like to make them.

There are many different ways to think about how to make games and what they should give people, and certainly, there are many who think games should have broad appeal and please everyone regardless of skill level and effort. Of course, those games are perfectly valid, but what I like making and want to do is perhaps a bit more niche. Some will like it, and some won’t. I’m making games for people who love this kind of thing. Of course, it would be great if many loved what I make, but even if there are many who aren’t big fans of this kind of approach, it’s still what I enjoy making.

I prefer this approach to exposition-dumps we get in games like Dragon Age.

"Hello, person I just met... will you tell me more details about the conflict between the Chantry and the Mages?"

"Of course!" (proceeds to give a history of an ages-old political conflict between two squabbling superpowers... also sells swords and iron ore)

I don't really care much about the narrative in a From Software game. They've never been strong in that category anyways.

I'm far more interested in the world and exploration here since this is supposed to be an open-world game.

I prefer this approach to exposition-dumps we get in games like Dragon Age.

"Hello, person I just met… will you tell me more details about the conflict between the Chantry and the Mages?"

"Of course!" (proceeds to give a history of an ages-old political conflict between two squabbling superpowers… also sells swords and iron ore)

Bit overreacting there. And how is reading world lore that is somehow embedded into weapons/items ( does the main character has some kind of prophetic abilities) more sensible/natural than character dialogue?
Looking Glass games, and all their offspring, handle this well ( as well as first Dead Space).
They're not story driven, but you have a clear story and supporting characters, with (sensible) main character motivation that form the core of the game's narrative. And a ton of environmental storytelling logically placed in the world, that can fill in all the details.
Without the former, there is zero personal connection to the world, "why should I care".

I was exaggerating a little. But IMO, the Dragon Age games do pour on the exposition too heavily. I was only giving an example.

Dark Souls series did a great job telling its story. It was an intrinsic part of the series. I really liked the mystery and "trail of clues" approach. It made the player feel like an alien of sorts, dropped into this huge, dark world and it made the player work to learn more.

But that doesn't mean I want every game to be that way. Still, I guess I prefer "less is more" in my storytelling. Or perhaps "less is often more impactful." Show, don't tell.

Yes they do if your interested in the lore. It's clue's you discover as you progress.

There were extremely vague clues but nothing anywhere nearly as obvious as a book or scroll. I agree with your overall point though. Dark Souls has no coherent story, the developers have indicated that this was intentional. I had no problem with this as an artistic decision for this specific series, but I'm not sure why every other game that uses souls-like mechanics also feels the need to do this. It's not like the lack of story was what made the game fun.

Back
Top Bottom