RPGs for fun spear builds - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPGs for fun spear builds

Default RPGs for fun spear builds

August 24th, 2018, 12:34
The worst offense for me with oblivion were the disparition of verticality (and levitation spells), the disparition of real underwater exploration, and teleportation spells replaced by fast travels…
They also made a terrible mistake with that levelling system (they corrected that in Skyrim).

The rest was dope.
--
The delightful and ever novel pleasure of a useless occupation.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 24th, 2018, 12:44
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Don't forget that it all has to fit on 1 console sized disc. To properly console-ise your RPG you have to cut some things out or force the player to swap disc and/or take up a greedy amount of hard disk space. There's massive memory limitations too. Skyrim had to run on an xbox 360 with only 512MB memory shared between everything and was constantly streaming data in and out.
Well, my first playthrough of Morrowind was on XBOX, it was on one disk and everything was there (except for mods, but I wasn't even aware that such thing existed at the time).
--

Winterfart

Passenger

August 24th, 2018, 13:41
There was a class in Age of Conan that was spear based. Played so long ago can't remember what they were called. They were fun to play. The new Conan game, Conan Exiles, has some great spear builds and they are some of the best in game. If you like survival games and builders.

I have always loved to play spear masters.

It was already mentioned but the best game for spear builds was Temple of Elemental Evil.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Last edited by Hastar; August 24th, 2018 at 16:31.

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

August 24th, 2018, 15:44
Might and Magic has spear builds too, though it's party-based. Nioh has a good spear build, though I don't play these types of action games, it was all over Reddit on release.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

August 24th, 2018, 15:57
Ahhh yeah, agility not strength as far as spear builds go. Sometimes I do a poor job of editing myself.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

August 25th, 2018, 00:13
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Strength? Interesting, most of the time spears are put into the agility/finesse category, which makes kind of sense. It is a safer option dealing less damage. Not sure if anybody mentioned the banner saga yet or salt and sanctuary. The latter is a bit obvious just like Nioh, these seem the go to games for spears.
Yeah in Expeditions: Viking it is the Finesse attribute that affects damage dealt with spears. Nefka has pretty low strength but high Finesse and she's deadly once she gets a decent spear in her hands. Strength affects damage for swords and axes and physical resistance..

Aside from Expeditions: Viking and Age of Decadence, you can make a pretty bad-ass spear build in NWN2. The Stormlord prestige class adds electrical damage to attacks you make with spears (as well as throwing axes, darts, and shurikens). Or of course, you could go with the Weaponmaster class in NWN 1 or 2 and make spears your weapon of choice.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 25th, 2018, 03:01
Yeah, also throwing a vote for Expeditions: Viking. Loved the spear that can skew two at once!!
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)

August 25th, 2018, 12:51
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Yes it does and it's one of the most viable builds throughout the game as well as in dungeon rats the party based dungeon crawler spin-off
In dungeon rats, I personally think that the spear build was one of the few that was able to beat the game solo. Mostly because of its interesting mechanics, in comparison to all other melee weapons.

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 00:10
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Not an rpg, but Blade of Darkness/Severance was ridiculous(ly) good at his, playing as Amazon( Zoe) using spear or naginata.
Haven't played a game in decade, but still remember some of the attack combos. ( Way of the Goddess doing this crazy AoE three spin, than follow up finisher). It had that odd balance of elegance and brutality.
Severance! I played this a lot at a friend's place back in the day. Addicting, but we were clueless then so I don't think we went spear.

It struck me that most suggested games are relatively old ones. Except for expeditions there is NWN 1/2, Diablo 2, Titan quest, M&M, morrowind, etc.

I realised I mixed up Nioh with Bloodborne in my last post (souls-like games slipped past my radar after dark souls 1 prepare to die edition). Seems bloodborne is the better game, but not on pc. Sigh. Watched some dark souls videos but it did not spark the required enthusiasm yet. I'll take another look at Nioh. It's in Japan, could be potentially interesting. Japanese culture always intrigued me.

I wish choice of weapon type would matter more in the gameplay. Not only for the combat mechanics, but also outside. Only axes can break through doors, spears can reach difficult places, etc.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 26th, 2018, 00:16
Play Battle Brothers, every weapon has a major use that none others have. Plus, spears are great in it.
--

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

August 26th, 2018, 09:47
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
Play Battle Brothers, every weapon has a major use that none others have. Plus, spears are great in it.
The first battles can be easy wins buy giving spears to every frontliners.
Just spearwall all the time, wait, then loot.
--

Winterfart

Passenger

+1:

August 26th, 2018, 12:45
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
In dungeon rats, I personally think that the spear build was one of the few that was able to beat the game solo. Mostly because of its interesting mechanics, in comparison to all other melee weapons.
Yes, the pushback mechanic is very useful.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 26th, 2018, 15:35
Agreed, both Dungeon Rats and Battle Brothers make the spear quite a viable weapon, in my opinion. On top of that, both are excellent games and worth every penny you'll pay for them.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 17:57
Was it xulmia that allowed spears to be used in the second role ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 20:18
Originally Posted by you View Post
Was it xulmia that allowed spears to be used in the second role ?
Yes I believe so

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 26th, 2018, 20:19
Xulima and Elminage Gothic allows you to use spear from the back row, or attack enemies' back row from the front row. Maybe some other Wizardry games allow that, too.

As mentioned Battle Brothers' use of spear was very fresh, being able to finally use it the way it probably was used in ancient battles, in a turn-based game, instead of basically being a staff you swing and twist around.

Rune Knight

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 26th, 2018, 20:43
This thread made me buy Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats. They are on sale on Steam. I got them both for $9. Made a spear and shield character in AoD to try it out.
--

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

August 26th, 2018, 20:45
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
This thread made me buy Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats. They are on sale on Steam. I got them both for $9. Made a spear and shield character in AoD to try it out.
Combats are unforgiving. Have fun!
--

Winterfart

Passenger

+1:

August 26th, 2018, 20:48
You are welcome! I hope you used my affiliate link so I can get rich. Have fun

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

August 26th, 2018, 21:39
No one has mentioned Pillars of eternity yet. You can have some really great spearbuilds there as well. Although the OP sounds like he wants to experience the spear more like in a first or third person game, so perhaps PoE isn't as interesting?

Don't know about PoE2 since I haven't finished it yet and I tend to avoid reading build guides until I've finished a game at least once.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPGs for fun spear builds