Empire- New Complete Game - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Empire- New Complete Game

Default Empire- New Complete Game

July 21st, 2018, 22:45
Hello JRPG fans, I've recently released my first official game called Empire. It's an old-school JRPG based on Final Fantasy games. If you enjoyed their classics you'll likely enjoy Empire. It's over on Steam and only $5! Thanks to anyone for tehoir support- it'll mean a lot for me as I'm just starting out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/889520/Empire/

clecota

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 24th, 2018, 16:43
Errr, "Empire" is already a game. A very old and famous game, actually. I'm amazed Steam let you have the name - I guess that's part of the new 'hands off, just give us money and don't ask us to do work' policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Empire
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

July 24th, 2018, 16:51
Yea. I remember playing Empire back in the late 80's early 90's. Kind of difficult to pick up these days but it was fun back then.

Back to the game - developer seems active at fixing issues so that's a plus.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

July 24th, 2018, 17:10
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Errr, "Empire" is already a game. A very old and famous game, actually. I'm amazed Steam let you have the name - I guess that's part of the new 'hands off, just give us money and don't ask us to do work' policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Empire
Yes but has the Ip been de-listed as you usually lose the copyright to a name after a few years if you don't re-register the trademark. Just asking for reference.
--
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everybody else's stinks."

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)

July 25th, 2018, 03:58
Regardless of the name, this looks like something I'll be picking up at some point. Thanks for the info!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

August 6th, 2018, 01:19
I'm going to be a bit blunt here… basically every JRPG from indie developer's is "inspired by the classics". Games like Chrono Trigger and turn-based FF games have some nice things about them, but also a lot of areas for improvement. If you're simply trying to emulate popular JRPGs from a couple decades ago, I'm not interested… What I'd like to hear is what you're trying to do differently, or improving upon.

For instance, traditional JRPG combat tends to be rather boring. Random encounter: select attack, select attack, select attack, (maybe) use a healing item. Repeat ad nauseam. Perhaps your game is doing something to make the JRPG combat more exciting? (and to be clear adding RT / twitch elements to a turn-based combat is not the solution I'm looking for).

Perhaps you think older JRPGs are perfect in which case we simply have different tastes. But frankly in 2018, even for $5, I'm looking for something more than FF clone #10million.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 14th, 2018, 19:17
Yeah, basically what the poster above me said, this is your first game though, so you should take the criticism as something to encourage you to create something more original. Play more games, take inspirations from outside the genre. Good luck with it.

Rune Knight

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Tags
empire, final fantasy, jrpg, rpg
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Empire- New Complete Game