Pathway - Launch Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The launch trailer for Pathway which releases on Steam April 11th.

Pathway is a strategy adventure game from Germany-based developers Robotality, featuring turn-based combat and unique story encounters. Explore temples, tombs and the desert wilderness in a grand pulp adventure! Coming to Windows, Mac & Linux on April 11th!
More information.

It gave me a kinda Jagged Alliance vibe, but I (we???) should refrain from saying so because every time we label a game as "new JA" or "JA spiritual sucessor"… welll, we know what happens.

So let's act as if I hadn't said that :)

The turn-based combat system and unique encounters both sound intriguing to me, but the procedural is a slight turn-off. I'll keep an eye on this just to see what others think when it's available.

If it has a bit more depth than Halfway I will get it. Waiting for some early impressions, though.

Looks much deeper than Halfway, and is unquestionably inspired by Indiana Jones, to the point of copyright infringement it seems. At least one way it's improved on Halfway is that companions can be killed without ending the game.

Looks much deeper than Halfway, and is unquestionably inspired by Indiana Jones, to the point of copyright infringement it seems. At least one way it's improved on Halfway is that companions can be killed without ending the game.

Well, Halfway is a game which only works with the story.

Pathway however seems to be more of a Jagged Alliance meets FTL, so it makes much more sense in this context.

Not really seeing the Jagged Alliance connection. JA had tons of different weapons with mods, and different armor and equipment types, including things like mustard gas. Wounded units would take days or weeks to heal, your people could be trainers or doctors. Stealth. You also trained up locals to defend cities and settlements as you captured them. So what's similar to Jagged Alliance, a (much much smaller) variety of mercs?

And combat is turn-based, not FTL style.

Exemplary UI!! Can't wait for a strong line of patches then its PlayTime™!

Not really seeing the Jagged Alliance connection. JA had tons of different weapons with mods, and different armor and equipment types, including things like mustard gas. Wounded units would take days or weeks to heal, your people could be trainers or doctors. Stealth. You also trained up locals to defend cities and settlements as you captured them. So what's similar to Jagged Alliance, a (much much smaller) variety of mercs?

And combat is turn-based, not FTL style.

Well, you are not supposed to take the parts of both games which are not similar to the game. :D

It takes the part of Jagged Alliance with the Mercs and that they are disposable, albeit they have a bigger profile than XCom mercs which are just random characters with names. In Pathway you can recruit out of a pool of 16 Characters.

And from FTL it doesn't take the combat systems or spaceship of course. :p
The similarity with FTL is the procedurally generated world, the pool of 400 random events with decisions to make, and the perma-death aspect, which let's you start with some advantages or additional options.
Ofc I could have named The curious expedition as a better comparison. But FTL if just more well known.

Back
Top Bottom