Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition in 2013

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While Beamdog's Trent Oster has talked about potentially doing a number of Enhanced Editions after Baldur's Gate, a tweet announces Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition will be out in 2013 - as well as no GOG version at this point:
#bg2ee will be in 2013. We have no plans to put the game on gog. The Jellybean encryption sounds interesting, but we are hard up for time
...though Trent does note a Beamdog version will be available without their client, which should please most:
The Beamdog version will be available with or without our client. We've heard all the "I love Steam more than kitties" so no client.
More information.

Yeah - as much as I wanted to see it out sooner, there was far too slow a trickle of info for it to really be coming up this year, much less this summer.

I'd rather them take their time then rush the thing anyway. Their initial timetable was way too ambitious. That being said - I would like to see some screenshots sooner rather than later.

I believe it was BG that was coming this summer I don't think BG2 was ever supposed to be this summer but I could be wrong.

I prefer kittens.

Oh, that's good news. I made the same mistake and thought this meant Baldur's Gate, the first one in the series, was delayed.

Wait, you mean to say that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition does not include BG1 & 2?

I thought the whole point was to combine both into one game you can play through using the BG2 engine?

Ah - I misread it. I just saw Baldur's Gate and Enhanced Edition. I missed the '2'. Doh!

I still think that this summer/early fall is overly ambitious considering we haven't seen any screenshots or anything...

Count - they are doing BG1 and BG2 separately (though both will include the expansion packs). They will both use the enhanced engine though.

Ah - I misread it. I just saw Baldur's Gate and Enhanced Edition. I missed the '2'. Doh!

I still think that this summer/early fall is overly ambitious considering we haven't seen any screenshots or anything…

I agree I'm surprised we haven't seen more if they are indeed on schedule for a summer release.

Hopefully they are either too busy or just holding out on us. I've been itching to give BG another run but i'm holding out for the EE.

Count - they are doing BG1 and BG2 separately (though both will include the expansion packs). They will both use the enhanced engine though.

I also think that you will be able to continue your BG1 saved game easily in BG2. It'll have the essential features of being released as one unit, but they will be completed and released separately.

ill just wait for 2013

if i drop them, i drop them all at once. If i like them, i'll be in for a long fun time

Good luck to them, but i'll pass. What's the point of polluting a 14 year old game with DRM anyway?

I agree I'm surprised we haven't seen more if they are indeed on schedule for a summer release.

Hopefully they are either too busy or just holding out on us. I've been itching to give BG another run but i'm holding out for the EE.

We've covered this in other news.

The big difference that PC players will see is the re-built interface...but they are still working on that.

New stuff is awaiting approval from WotC.

Hard to show anything when you haven't finished the new interface and WotC won't let you show new stuff yet...without those, it would just look like Baldur's Gate. ;)

I'm sure this is a great money maker for them, but personally I'd rather see them work on Torment and leave the BG's alone. The BG's are perfectly playable with the current community mods in Widescreen/Hi Res and the interface is just fine. Torment I have running but it seems to have some stability issues with Widescreen/Hi Res.

I'll buy BG EE at release, but I probably won't play it until 2013 anyways. I strongly prefer to be able to play BG 1&2 back to back with the same character.

I also have faith that Beamdog is eventually going to do EE versions of all the IE games, or at least PS:T for sure. Doing the BG games first is a no-brainer though.

I don't even know about this anymore. I'm not buying it on Beamdog, that's for sure. His statement about Steam there makes me wonder if they're going to push for a simultaneous PC launch on Steam now or if he thinks that we all mean we want to buy it from Beamdog and add it to the Steam client for no apparent reason. I'm figuring the latter, he doesn't seem to really get it. :/

What is Jellybean encryption?

I'm sure this is a great money maker for them, but personally I'd rather see them work on Torment and leave the BG's alone. The BG's are perfectly playable with the current community mods in Widescreen/Hi Res and the interface is just fine. Torment I have running but it seems to have some stability issues with Widescreen/Hi Res.
Agreed. I have a hard time getting excited to replay games I played to death back in the day. Wait, are people going to pay for these?

Back
Top Bottom