|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

July 18th, 2018, 11:31
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
In my personal opinion, it's the far worst Star Wars movie ever made. It really made me stop watching Star Wars - almost.
Watched this with my son (since he watch the previous two) and totally agree - very dissapointing and looks more like a direct to TV movie to me.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

July 18th, 2018, 16:26
I'm not sure that I've ever watched a science fiction movie before with a book in hand like I did for the Last Jedi. That flick made some of the prequel movies look good by comparison. Not a movie I'd ever watch again.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 18th, 2018, 16:30
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Feel free to discuss this further in another thread and let's get back to discussing movies again.
Yes master, but don't forget this when most movies will be owned by Disney.
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm not sure that I've ever watched a science fiction movie before with a book in hand like I did for the Last Jedi. That flick made some of the prequel movies look good by comparison. Not a movie I'd ever watch again.
Worst movie ever. That is also an absolute.

loading…

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Just found this linked via a fan forum : https://twitter.com/ahmedbest/status…162561/photo/1

Apparingly the fan reactions drove the actor of Jar Jar Binks into thoughts of suicide.

And in these times, people will probably react with an "he deserved it" thing.
While I hated Jar Jar as he was annoying I don't agree with the he deserved attitude.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 00:46
Watched two excellent movies over the last two days - Hotel Rwanda (2004) and Confessions (2010). Hotel Rwanda kind of changed how I feel about the whole perpetual east African civil wars nightmare, and Confessions is a great Japanese sociological horror film that has something pithy to say. I watched Sicario: Day of the Soldado in the theater last week. Good movie but wow, 11.1 channel XD surround sound really sucks compared to my home theater's simple 5.1 setup. Can barely hear the dialog because the center channels are so weak and overwhelmed. Don't think I'll ever go to the movies again, though I made this promise to myself before and broke it after nearly walking out on that Star Wars: The Last Jedi crap that some of you still suck up like milk from your mama's teat.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 04:38
Hotel Rwanda is a brutal and awesomely satisfying film. I've seen it twice so far, and still marvel at it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 19th, 2018, 11:52
They just announced that Joaquin Phoenix will be playing The Joker in an upcoming origin movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he…e-date-1128203

Now THAT is a superhero movie I would like to see.

Joaquin is probably my favorite actor at this point in time.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 13:29
Hmm… I do like Joaquin, and I would like to see what he could do with the Joker, but the director appears to have a record of terrible films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Phillips#Filmography
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 13:32
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Hmm… I do like Joaquin, and I would like to see what he could do with the Joker, but the director appears to have a record of terrible films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Phillips#Filmography
I don't really care about the movie in itself - I will be watching it for the performance

That said, you're right - those movies aren't exactly my cup of tea. Then again, sometimes directors can surprise when they're given a big opportunity.

For instance, I would never have thought Peter Jackson capable of doing LotR justice.

In fact, I expected LotR to be more or less like The Hobbit movies.

So, I guess we'll see

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 13:45
I would agree that it is an excellent film but I don't think I would describe it as satisfying. I think the question you have to ask is do you prefer to be chopped up as was the case in Rowanda or blown up as the case is today in Iraq.

Hotel Rwanda is a brutal and awesomely satisfying film. I've seen it twice so far, and still marvel at it.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 16:20
I meant in the sense that it tells a clear, coherent story, something that seems to be a rarity these days in many pictures.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 19th, 2018, 17:09
I meant in the sense that it tells a clear, coherent story, something that seems to be a rarity these days in many pictures.
Definitely agree with that. For whatever reason, I do think a lot of contemporary movies lack skill in the basics of narrative, pacing, and so forth. There are still good movies being made, but I do find this is a particular weakness of this era.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

July 19th, 2018, 19:20
Exactly said, Ripper. While books have always seemed able to tell complete stories, I find more often than not that television and motion pictures rarely strike a good balance with regards to character development and narrative. It shouldn't be rocket science but it seems that way at times.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 20th, 2018, 01:44
Contratiempo is an yes-maybe-no truthseeking thriller. A man is accused of murder, claims it's a setup and has only 3 hours to get to bottom of it with a lawyer before getting arrested. The problem is, his story is full of holes and it won't save him from conviction.
From compassion to disgust and vice versa, from victim to villain and back again, this little spanish gem will play efficiently with your emotions or sense of morality.

You've seen similar movies already, but this one IMO tops them all. Ignore please the "problematic" spying thing, the movie is not based on true story, so…
Watch it before Hollywood makes a silly remake. AKA now please.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 20th, 2018 at 01:54.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 02:43
Just re-watched Idiocracy for the tenth time, and its still frightening on how that future still might happen. The Book is still better then the movie though.

loading…
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

July 20th, 2018, 06:39
There was that movie directed by Sean Penn (The Last Face) that also takes place in the turmoil of Africa (west Africa this time) starring Javier Bardem but I felt it fell apart badly by the end. But it had that incredibly honest moment where his UN doctor character makes an observation about all the oppressed becoming the oppressors when the balance of political power shifts.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

July 20th, 2018, 11:49
Yea - read up on Somalia. Basically a reporter asked them if they wanted peace and nearly everyone said yes. Then they asked them if someone from tribe x (Somalia has something like 13 tribes/fractions - look up the exact number if you care) could be part of the peace process and nearly everyone who was not a member of tribe x said no that tribe couldn't be trusted and should be killed on sight …

Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
There was that movie directed by Sean Penn (The Last Face) that also takes place in the turmoil of Africa (west Africa this time) starring Javier Bardem but I felt it fell apart badly by the end. But it had that incredibly honest moment where his UN doctor character makes an observation about all the oppressed becoming the oppressors when the balance of political power shifts.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 20th, 2018, 12:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just re-watched Idiocracy for the tenth time, and its still frightening on how that future still might happen.
imdb says comedy. Is it? Want to give it a shot, but I avoid Hollywood's comedies like a plague. And imdb sometimes completely misses the genre, that's why I ask.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

July 20th, 2018, 13:48
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
imdb says comedy. Is it? Want to give it a shot, but I avoid Hollywood's comedies like a plague. And imdb sometimes completely misses the genre, that's why I ask.
Yes it's a comedy about idiots taking over the world.

I couldn't stop laughing the first time.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

July 20th, 2018, 14:21
Originally Posted by you View Post
Yea - read up on Somalia. Basically a reporter asked them if they wanted peace and nearly everyone said yes. Then they asked them if someone from tribe x (Somalia has something like 13 tribes/fractions - look up the exact number if you care) could be part of the peace process and nearly everyone who was not a member of tribe x said no that tribe couldn't be trusted and should be killed on sight …
I try not to do too much research on the situation in Africa because it fills me with depressive & cynical thoughts but seeing the powerful human drama in Hotel Rwanda was a good start for me on and perhaps set me on the road to trying to make sense of it all. Beasts of No Nation (2015) looks like another interesting one on a similar theme but I'm having a hard time finding a copy with proper english subtitles.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

July 20th, 2018, 15:18
It is a comedy. The quality depends on your mood. At times I like it at times I think it is immature and stupid. The comedy portion is not subtle.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread