Looks like MS is buying Obsidian

I'll try to look on the bright side.

It's clear that MS is being killed by Sony in terms of must-have exclusives, and they're investing in studios to help them redress that. If they want Obsidian to create high-end story-driven RPGs, we might actually get something good.

Someone was bound to buy them. At least it wasnt EA :)

They're not buying them to make something like Anthem. And probably smaller projects like PoE, Kingmaker, etc. Financial insecurity was holding them back.
Would be great to see them make large production rpg..not much competition there, do it right and it's very profitable ( Skyrim, Witcher are still selling very well).
Bad news for grognards, good news for almost everyone! :) ( there is yet some hope in the world)

So it was microsoft who was working on baldur's Gate 3 all along? :p

More seriously, I'm not looking forward to having to buy PoE 3 on the windows store.

That, and of course no more obsidian rpgs for linux, which is a pity.

So it was microsoft who was working on baldur's Gate 3 all along? :p

More seriously, I'm not looking forward to having to buy PoE 3 on the windows store.

That, and of course no more obsidian rpgs for linux, which is a pity.

We could see a Dragon Age type of interpretation of BG3. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Man, I'm not sure which is the biggest most evil devil between Electronic Arts and Microsoft. Assuming this purchase happens, I suppose we'll all get the answer to that question at some point.

The positive spin I'm trying to imagine, is that Microsoft might not actually be as malign an influence as EA. I think it goes to the argument about whether system exclusives are necessarily a bad thing. In some ways, they are a champion of AAA single-player games. If you look at the PS4, they have things like the Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, etc. Not necessarily everyone’s cup of tea, but top-end single-player games designed to bring people to the platform.

The console platform holders have a very different strategy than the EAs and Ubisofts. Those guys want to invest in online “experiences” to flog lootboxes and microtransactions across as many platforms as possible. To them, the classic AAA single player game is much less interesting now. Witness the horrible fate of Bioware.

So, it might actually result in some really good games being made, albeit more mainstream. The original Mass Effect was essentially a pre-EA Bioware game as an Xbox exclusive, and I enjoyed that in its own right.

Good for them as I said in the last rumor thread it was a letter of intent to buy, and now terms were initialized. They can stop using the Unity engine, and make different RPGs.

Just like it was in the good old days of Obsidian.:biggrin:

Only problem I foresee is they have another game already in development with Take-Two's new label Private Division. Will they cancel another game again?

Last edited:
I'd guess they'll probably honour their existing commitments, unless MS is so keen to get games out that they want to settle with Take Two.

So I'll presume no more GOG releases from Obsidian. I expect some people will be leaving Obsidian in light of this acquisition to different studios. Chris Avellone is supposedly making his own studio but I have no idea when that will be announced. What is left over is usually the mediocre talent who can't get work elsewhere so I expect Microsoft will end up being disappointed with their purchase.

Maybe. I'm certainly no fan of Microsoft (as evidenced by my extended rants in the other thread!), but I do think what @Drithius; mentioned is quite a major point - the Obsidian people might be looking forward to a more secure and lucrative future in a big enterprise.

I'm sure many at Obsidian will welcome better job security and a return to making more console focused RPGs. They never seemed like they wanted to making isometric RPGs given it was their hail mary option. Having said that you can make console RPGs with any big corporate publisher.

This is probably partially true as MS is not a gaming company first but my concerns would be as follow:
a) They make games ms store exclusive.
b) they do silly stuff like they did with fable series because they think it will increase sales (MS is very focus on profitability and makes a lot of dumb decisions upon the assumption it will increase sales)
c) MS does this today and that tomorrow - if they change directions they will shutdown the studios; also they have a short lease with regards to profitability - a few failures and your gone.
--
While I doubt obsidian is doing BG3; if they were then they would be obligated to that and all other pre-existing deals/contracts - assuming there was one involved and they didn't buy the rights to make the game (doubtful).

The positive spin I'm trying to imagine, is that Microsoft might not actually be as malign an influence as EA

Well, as I say, I don't hold MS in high regard, but I look at it in a Game of Thrones kind of way - I don't trust any of the bastards, but, how might things play out in a way that has some advantages?

I think the greatest of the risks you mention is point C. Massive corporations like Microsoft are capricious because of all the various factors pulling them in different directions. Obsidian could do everything right, and be cut loose on a whim.

Not good. Not good at all. Even if the deal falls through, the fact that they are trying to make the deal is terrible news.
We could see a Dragon Age type of interpretation of BG3. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.
Fluent! Come on! Microsoft is putting out an update as we speak with major improvements to… guess who?? Hint: it's not an update to Silver or Ripper. The closet to anyone else is the ray tracing update for DirectX which is just barely like HiddenX. And here you are diss'n them!? ;)

P.S. Oh, looks like distribution has been stopped for now because of a file eating bug. Talk about "not good"!

Not good. Not good at all. Even if the deal falls through, the fact that they are trying to make the deal is terrible news.

How is them trying to stay alive terrible news? Obsidian has been gasping for breath, living contract to contract since they opened up - even agreeing to work on a World of Tanks clone to pay expenses.

I mostly worry for Project Indiana, since it's still in its early stages and very prone to being "remolded". But, as for other projects, Obsidian has made it abundantly clear over the years that they'll gladly take on whatever pays the bills - console or otherwise.

Fluent! Come on! Microsoft is putting out an update as we speak with major improvements to… guess who?? Hint: it's not an update to Silver or Ripper. The closet to anyone else is the ray tracing update for DirectX which is just barely like HiddenX. And here you are diss'n them!? ;)

P.S. Oh, looks like distribution has been stopped for now because of a file eating bug. Talk about "not good"!

The real Fluent Design system is up and running perfectly fine. My new Kingmaker Let's Play will show Microsoft what's what!

Back
Top Bottom