Thronebreaker - Review @ COG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
COG has reviewed The Witcher: Thronebreaker:

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales Review - A Tale to Remember

I'm not usually one to get sidetracked by minigames set within larger open worlds, but that all changed when I first played through The Witcher 3. I spent hours upon hours playing Gwent, the card game within the Witcher universe you can have Geralt play in his spare time, fully absorbed by its simple-yet-addictive card play. It didn't surprise me, then, when CD Projekt RED decided to expand Gwent, initially into its own online multiplayer platform, into an entirely new game with the cards as its core gameplay mechanic. Enter Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, a compelling RPG that uses Gwent in smart ways to convey the strategic and unpredictable nature of a battlefield.
[...]
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales could have been a lackluster, uninspired spinoff in an attempt to capitalize off the Witcher's success, but it is so much more than that. Sure, I have some minor gripes, such as the lack of a mini-map and guide markers, or the anticlimactic final battle, but they all seem trivial when looking at what Thronebreaker accomplishes as a whole. The intricately layered story and carefully crafted characters and writing are some of the best I've seen this year, and the card play is more rewarding than it's ever been before. Whether or not you are a fan of the Witcher series, or even card games in general, Thronebreaker deserves your attention.

Score: 90/100
More information.

Here is one of the better reviews I agree with.

Game Banshee Thronebreaker:The Witcher Tales Review
Overall, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is a nice game. Dare I say "pleasant"? It tells an effective story, and it is polished in many ways, but it's also lightweight. It's far too easy to play, even on the toughest difficulty setting, and it covers a lot of the same ground as The Banner Saga trilogy without providing anywhere near the same sort of tension or pathos. The outlets giving Thronebreaker a 90% or better score are just plain wrong. They're either fooling themselves or trying to fool you. But still, you could do a lot worse than Thronebreaker. If a balance patch comes out, then it might elevate itself to "good," but for now I'd only recommend you try the game out if you can get it on sale. Or if you really love The Witcher and / or Gwent.

Here is one of the better reviews I agree with.

Game Banshee
Seriously?
it covers a lot of the same ground as The Banner Saga trilogy
Instant disqualification.
A serious site shouldn't put a PC game in the same basket with phonegames.

And you should get a freaking clue what is a phone game. Anyway i can't comment on thronebreaker but banner saga is a pretty decent game if you like that sort of thing - i did (i know some don't) but to lump it in with 2bit phone games is pretty insulting.

Seriously?

Instant disqualification.
A serious site shouldn't put a PC game in the same basket with phonegames.

Being compared/put in the same realm as Banner Saga is a huge compliment. I've not played the third game yet, but the first two are excellent and I've played both more than once. Now this Throne game is on my radar.

I didn't enjoy Thronebreaker much at all, because the card game Gwent -- used for all of the battles -- is just un-fun for me compared to Magic the Gathering or even Hearthstone (I don't like Hearthstone much). I ended up playing Thronebreaker only 2-3 hours before getting tired of it.

Very disappointing, though I understand that many people enjoyed it.

And you should get a freaking clue what is a phone game. Anyway i can't comment on thronebreaker but banner saga is a pretty decent game if you like that sort of thing - i did (i know some don't) but to lump it in with 2bit phone games is pretty insulting.

Well, joxer thinks War and Peace is a light-weight graphic novel, so what can you expect?

Yea and imagine also watches plus recommends russian series in the appropriate thread (because I don't have time for books any more so...).

Then again we don't have graphic novels without superheroes thread yet. When we do, except many posts from me in it.

Back
Top Bottom