Colony Ship - Demo update, New Screens

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Colony Ship and some new screenshots.

Demo progress update:

We play the demo daily, ironman-style (since we don't any have save/load functionality yet), then report issues and observations. Naturally, it's a very important step that highlights balance and interface issues, and suggests better ways of doing things. In Jan we fixed a lot of bugs that were getting in the way, implemented textbox messages (now the player gets a full picture of what's going on), reworked feats, and did the first balance pass. Combat is very challenging and even a single opponent can put an end to your career. Going alone against 3 guys tends to result in a very quick death, cover or no cover. The AI flanks you like there's no tomorrow and uses a full range of attacks.

Grenades are done, but we're still working on the visual effects. Gadgets are still not done (didn't have time); we got about half the armor/goggles/gas masks modeled but not textured yet; and we only have a handful of portraits needed for the demo. The demo is in a better shape than it was in Dec, but we aren't there yet.

Anyway, this is boring to write and probably even more boring to read, so let me walk you through some screens instead:

yvRGvg8h.png

That's the first fight, so you start the demo with traditionally crappy weapons. The damage is about the same, but the rifle has a much better range and slightly better accuracy. As you can see the textbox gives you very detailed info now:

- attack type (tells you how the enemy is fighting)
- attack outcome: critical, hit, graze, or miss (explains the damage or lack thereof)
- damage and DR breakdown (shows the effect of penetration on DR, among other things)
- rolls (I assume it will be easier to accept 3 misses in a row if you see what you're rolling and the breakdown)

BELAkKPh.png

I opened the character screen to see how my skills are doing. The character screen is also work in progress, we'll move things around, add more derived stats that should be there, move things driven by equipment like penetration to the inventory screen. Anyway, as you can see, the increase by use functionality is there. In the future we'll add this info to the main gui; here is a rough and somewhat disjointed mockup:

Y4yFcQxh.png

^ you can equip grenades right now; if the belt slots are empty they won't show on the main gui.

[...]
More information.

Look pretty damn nice to me. Gotta love extensive character sheets.

I like those guys and the way they approach their games. I will support them as much as i can.

Yeah this looks great. I keep forgetting it's in development actually, which kinda works for me because I then get all excited again whenever it turns up on the news. :) Absolutely a day one purchase.

Not sure I'd have all the character data on one panel like that; it's a bit of an eye chart/wall of text, particularly if they port this to a console game. Plus you don't really need to see it all at once.

Not sure I'd have all the character data on one panel like that; it's a bit of an eye chart/wall of text, particularly if they port this to a console game. Plus you don't really need to see it all at once.

Huh, I feel the opposite, what's annoying is looking at several different sheetd to get all the fun numbers. I play on a big screen and have no problems with these kind of character sheets, but I guess it could be problematic for some.

Man, that's looking mighty fine!! That crowded character sheet is pretty damn special, I can see myself just staring at that for a while before diving into the game. These guys have earned my loyalty, /tosses wallet!

I had more fun playing Age of Decadence, Underrail, Dead State, Grim Dawn and every other crowdfunded Indie RPG over a Triple A game like Anthem, or Fallout 76.

So keep up the good work Vince I'll always support any of your future games.

Last edited:
Day one purchase, as I've often mentioned. :)
I hope the combat system'll be as good as AoD's.

Yuppers, day one purchase for me as well, which is something I only do nowadays as a reward for companies that just put out great products. I doubt I'll play it on day one, but they'll get my money!!

Yuppers, day one purchase for me as well, which is something I only do nowadays as a reward for companies that just put out great products. I doubt I'll play it on day one, but they'll get my money!!

I'll be buying in Early Access even if I don't play then :)

The character and inventory screens are work in progress (as our artist is busy with the portraits and icons). The final version will be more readable and the "sections" will be properly separated (still on one screen).

Absolutely, 100%, buying this the moment it becomes available for purchase. AoD is one of the best RPGs of all time, Dungeon Rats really proved that the combat system is great, and I have no doubt that Colony Ship will be amazing. I would love to be involved in producing RPGs of the scale and quality of Iron Tower Studio.

tl;dr go get it and get their other games, too

Back
Top Bottom