Perception of the passage of time

I'm moving 847.3 miles away to a quiet culdesac where I will finally have my detached dream garage with a lift & welding equipment, compressor that isn't 40 years old etc. What truly amazes me is how much drama in my life will vanish in the blink of an eye the day I walk off my current job for the last time. What people there think is so damn important astonishes me. That MUST affect perception of time or minimally affect the value I attach to it. Right now its purgatory. Well working hours that is.

I was always unusual in that way. I'm able to invest next to nothing in my job - and still be pretty good at it. I'm not sure how that works, but that's who I am.

The moment I walk through the door, it's going to instantly be a thing of my past - and won't often be remembered.

What sort of development? I plan to manage cloud conversions for companies looking to exit their data centers since that's what is effectively I'm doing now. Sadly I haven't coded since 2006. Can't tell you how much I miss just sitting in a cube coding.

Cool!

I'm making a game :)

I've made a thread about it. It's called "Looking for inspiration" ;)

I'll look it up. I tried making a kids game using a java framework called JPCT some years ago but it turned into a second job and I had to stop. I wrote a world construction tool (basically a static entity placement tool persisting to XML). I wrote a demo called "Werdy's World" that used the kit and had a character implementing collision and movement physics - it could run around, do back flips, jump etc.
http://www.jpct.net/projects.html. 4th to last project on the page. The harsh reality of art creation and animation in Studio3D hit me like a brick. I spent maybe 60 hours developing various animations for that primitive little character. Mostly making adjustments for vector errors on the body while animating the skeleton. Hugely frustrating.

Mental defect.

So, how do you guys/gals account for how time seems to pass at different speeds, under different circumstances.

For instance, I find that when I've had too much to drink - and I'm having a good time being somewhat inebriated, time actually passes slower.

This is strangely opposite to when I'm sober (like now) - and time seems to pass faster the more fun I'm having.

Also, of course, the older I get - the less time there seems to be in a day.

I'll look it up. I tried making a kids game using a java framework called JPCT some years ago but it turned into a second job and I had to stop. I wrote a world construction tool (basically a static entity placement tool persisting to XML). I wrote a demo called "Werdy's World" that used the kit and had a character implementing collision and movement physics - it could run around, do back flips, jump etc.
http://www.jpct.net/projects.html. 4th to last project on the page. The harsh reality of art creation and animation in Studio3D hit me like a brick. I spent maybe 60 hours developing various animations for that primitive little character. Mostly making adjustments for vector errors on the body while animating the skeleton. Hugely frustrating.

Indie game development is a very risky venture - especially if you're going to do it alone.

But the world of solo development has changed tremendously throughout the years. I know this for a fact, because I've been failing to make countless games since I was in my early 20s - and the level of improvement in terms of tools, free or paid assets, distribution, marketing - and so on - is staggering.

For instance, I once spent ages developing my own "dungeon crawler" engine - and I didn't really know what I was doing. I couldn't really find any documentation, so I just sat down and played a couple of my favorites until I figured out a way to do it.

It worked, but it was a MAJOR pain in the ass, using dozens of wall segments that I had to splice together with pixel perfection - and drawing them in the correct sequence, depending on player position - and so forth.

What I spent a few months creating back then, and this was with XNA and C# (both of which are not THAT old) - I could easily create in less than a day with Unity and I could make it look great by paying, say, 10$ for assets.

Obviously, the key is to set a realistic goal.

Personally, I give myself a 50/50 chance that I will be able to sustain development for about a year with this game.

That's somewhat optimistic, but it's within the realm of the plausible.

But I've planned for this - and I can sustain myself for around 4 years - earning zero profit.

Meaning, I don't really need to succeed the first time around. I do need SOME kind of recognition or sales though - and from there, I hope to reach a sustainable stage.

I think many indie developers go about it with too high expectations - and a lot seem to focus on it as a way to make money, rather than as a way to be happy doing what you love.

Making money is very different from making games, in my opinion.

When I look at Steam - and I watch Indie developers talking about making games - I'm not really seeing games. I'm seeing attempts to establish a business venture - mostly by emulating past successes - or attempting to play the market.

A lot of it seems to be about ego, and not the passion or any kind of real talent.

There are exceptions, of course - but I think it's unrealistic to make it big unless you have a knack for appealing wide.

You are heading into it the right way if you can swallow 0 profit as long as you get positive exposure. I haven't been to that JPCT page in a good 2 years and that game "Naroth" using the Android API version didn't exist. That was done by Egon Olsen who wrote the whole API. Clearly that engine could create a blobber in the vein of Wizardry or realtime like Grimrock for Android. Passion would be Wizardry but profit probably not. Are you committed to PC or is Mobile and option? I would think Mobile is more feasible for an independent at least.

You are heading into it the right way if you can swallow 0 profit as long as you get positive exposure. I haven't been to that JPCT page in a good 2 years and that game "Naroth" using the Android API version didn't exist. That was done by Egon Olsen who wrote the whole API. Clearly that engine could create a blobber in the vein of Wizardry or realtime like Grimrock for Android. Passion would be Wizardry but profit probably not. Are you committed to PC or is Mobile and option? I would think Mobile is more feasible for an independent at least.

There are a few issues with mobile that makes it less desirable for me and my game.

The first is visibility. It's all but impossible to get noticed - unless you either pay for it, or you're targeting the wider audience.

The second is pricing - where you have to set your price ridiculously low to stand any chance of selling a small indie game, and coupled with your game being pretty much invisible (mine would certainly be) - it's really not very profitable in most cases.

The third would be the countless concessions I would have to do in terms of design and asset fidelity. Also, I would have to work much more on the UI.

So, I very much doubt I'll be bothering.

What I do hope to do is port the game to Linux/Mac/Xbox/Switch/PS4 - eventually. All of those are significantly easier to port for - and you don't have to make your game work on tiny touch-screen controls.

That said, the first step is to make the PC version and guage the market. It's from there I will decide if it makes sense adding a few months of development time to port it to some or all of these platforms.

I WILL make the game work with a console controller, though.

I WILL make the game work with a console controller, though.
Is there a point in deliberate making your life a tragedy?
You're not 15 any more to blindly defend irrational ideas.

This ain't a cut from King's Avatar but LOL's Imagine Dragons: Warriors.
lol.gif

Last edited:
One thing I know for sure, years were at least 5 times longer when I was a kid than they are now.

I think it's good you're planning controller support.

KB+M wasn't designed for games. Games can just be designed for KB+M.

Controller is designed specifically for games.

One thing I know for sure, years were at least 5 times longer when I was a kid than they are now.

Same here, although I suppose this is often more of a blessing than a curse. ;)

I was always unusual in that way. I'm able to invest next to nothing in my job - and still be pretty good at it. I'm not sure how that works, but that's who I am.

The moment I walk through the door, it's going to instantly be a thing of my past - and won't often be remembered.

I envy you that. I often worry too much, including work related stuff that I bring home. Not healthy, but not easy to stop.

Back
Top Bottom