Remake(s) I'd love to see

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I absolutely loved the Legacy of the Ancients, Legend of Blacksilver and Questron games. If someone would just update the graphics to today's standards and re-release these or make a game in the same vein, I'd be one happy nut.

Questron was great but it was effectively an Ultima III clone (gameplay wasn't as good but it had a lot of neat features that U3 didn't). I'm not sure a remake would be as interesting considering the state of RPG's then. I mean, it was cool just to even make one, and not easy.

What about the original Bard's Tale or Dark Heart of Uukrul. DHoU is a Wizardry clone with added features but I think the lore of the game could be expanded on. Maybe something along the lines of Grimrock. I think BT could add a lot of lore too, maybe along the lines of Wizardry 7.

Its not an RPG but I'd love to see a remake of Seven Cities of Gold. Its what the original Civilization first started to do.

After several "HD" releases and lastly Arkania, I refuse to buy any new remake until someone warms a chair and "modernizes" Anachronox.

y'now, nut. this is a great idea for a thread. don't know why we didn't have one before.

one thing I'd like to see added to the conversation is in what way we would modernize it. In every iteration of Pirates for example, or at least in the last one, there was clearly added features like the court dancing.

Gold Box Games: Better interface & gfx, all text ingame
Wizardry 6: Better gfx and greater gameworld
Ultima 7: Better combat (turn based?) and compatible to modern PCs
Gothic 1: enhanced gfx and combat

With Ultima 7 graphics wise I'd prefer to see something other than the top down perspective they had and the tedious inventory system, but that last goes without saying methinks. Then I might be able to get somewhere in it.

I'm missing Ultima Underworld, too. Arx Fatalis was not bad, but Ultima Underworld is still the king. It needs only a new 3d engine.

Gold box games (all of em), EoTB series, Wizardry (1-4). Those would keep me busy for some time to come. Oh an why not, they ain't rpg's but throw the Wing Commanders on the remake pile too, cuz when you're bored nothing like flyin in space and smoking some aliens.

Not sure if I want to see ANY remakes. Spiritual successors or mashups would be good. Give me a game that is a mix of Darklands, Realms of Arkania, and the Magic Candle with a well done, turn based combat system (something like the PnP RPG Riddle of steel, optimized for a hex/square grid). Max Party size 6 or 8 (With the possibility of soloing for the real masochists).

Wow…Legacy of the Ancients on the Commodore 64, I loved that game! It was the first RPG I ever played (and beat at the ripe old age of 7…thanks in no small part to a save file near the end of the game made by my best friend's dad! :D )

To this day I can still hear the game's intro music playing in my head, the sound effects were awesome too, like the crackling of the torches in the Galactic Museum. MOS 6581 SID was a beast of a sound chip for its day. :)

I still remember how excited I would get when I would find a new museum coin so I could see a new exhibit.

Not really sure how well it would do as a straight up remake though, would like to see it with a more fleshed out battle and leveling system, better graphics (duh!), more involved quests, more dungeons etc.

Oh, and yeah…long time lurker and first time forum poster here, lol…joined the forums on a whim a while back to vote on the "Best of 2013" competition. :D

Last edited:
Glad this post lured you out of lurk mode :)

I've played most of my wishlist in the last 10 years with emulators, but I'd love to see them run natively in Win7, even if it was Flash and inside a browser.

Oh the memories, Legacy of the Ancients was my first RPG also but I was considerably older than fuzzicalFighter when I played it back then.
I hate to look at screenshots of the game because in my minds eye LotA is a triple "A" quality game.

Gothic 1 + Gothic 2 + NotR into one, massive game of pure awesome. It would have to keep the keyboard controls, obviously.

Other than that I'd like to see more remakes of old adventure games, the way Monkey Island 1 and 2 were remade. For example Larry 1 got a remake, what about 2, 3 and 5? Or old Space Quest games? Fantastic games, but so old now I have a hard time replaying them.

Back
Top Bottom