Low end laptop game ideas

Hrm, I'd actually recommend Avadon 1 the most of the Avadon Series as it was the hardest one and the tinkermage broke the balance. ^^

Regarding IWD: I only played that one very, very briefly. But wasn't that more a hack and slash game putting tactical combat / npc interaction secondary?

I like scientist-type characters, so tbh I'd rather have tinkermages with their turrets than balance. :) However, I don't recall Avadon or Avernum combat being that difficult in the first place, with the exception of the occassional boss battle.

IWD is a linear dungeon crawl; I wouldn't say the combat is not tactical, though. Early on it's just goblins and skeletons, but later on the enemy groups become more varied and the boss battles are not something you can just charge into.

The Avadon and Avernum games are some of the hardest you can play, that is if you play them on torment difficulty. And actually the last group I didn't manage to beat until the very end in Avernum 1 was some trash group outside. ^^
But some of the boss battles were also extremely challenging. But as mentioned, played on Torment.

Thanks for the IWD explanation.

Well, last one I've played was Avernum 3 on hard and even then it was too much hitpoints bloat for me to consider raising the difficulty level. I've felt that some battles took unnecessarily long, because the party was just chipping away at some inflated numbers. Maybe if the enemy ai was better combat would be more dynamic, but for an indie game these kind of limitations are understandable.

I would recommend Geneforge 4 over Avadon. Geneforge 4 is a far less streamlined tactical game with challenge and depth and it’s the best entry in the series. Avadon to me is like Jeff going mainstream. Escape From the Pit is similarly excellent.

Back
Top Bottom