Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - Review @ IGN Denmark

Expeditions: Conquistador

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Although we were told not to bring a review before the release date (which we won't as we won't have it ready by then), here is IGN Denmark's review of Expeditions: Conquistador, which is in Danish, but I could figure out the rating was an 8.
This is the Google translated version of it, which is bound to be funnier than the original one, from which this is the conclusion:
Expeditions: Conquistador is in spite of many small errors a large Danish success. It contains many different elements, and yawns perhaps more than it can accommodate, leading to bugs and design flaws here and there, but sometimes it is the sum greater than the parts, and indie game, engulfed me as games rarely do. The good story, the depth of one's expedition, the harsh consequences and the tactical battle is all helping to create a total experience that made the trip to the new kingdom to an exciting and engaging and, above all fun experience.
Perhaps one of our Danish residents could give us better intel on this review.

More information.

Last edited:
Definetly funny, but also good enough for me to ask:
where do I preorder?

We don't have a pre-purchase thing up, but the game will be out on thursday (May 30th) on Steam, GOG.com, Gamersgate, Desura and Greenman Gaming. We'll have the links up on www.conquistadorthegame.com as they become available.

Goody!
Of those I'm not regged only on Desura and 3 days of wait is not much.

Been waiting for this for a long time ... Shame it'll be a while before I will be able to play it... My project is making me work super-long hours and some weekends too.

It'll die down in August though, so I should have time to play by then :)

Yawns more than it can accomodate is probably translated form this Danish phrase: "gaber over mere end det kan overkomme". I guess the English phrase would be something like: takes on more than it can carry or maybe also this: you shouldn't make a bread that you cannot bake (in the oven). Edit: I looked it up - oldschool - meaning in book; a dictionary! And the phrase in English would be this:

The game has bitten off more than it can chew - although I find the 'yawn' sentence much more funny.... :)

And then they talk about the sum being greater than the individual parts (of the game) meaning, I think, the whole experience is greater than the indvidual part of the game experience

One of the links should have been the direct link to the Danish interview.
Here is the original text from which I quoted the translation:
Expeditions: Conquistador er på trods af mange små fejl en stor dansk succes. Det indeholder mange forskellige elementer, og gaber måske over mere end det kan rumme hvilket leder til bugs og designfejl her og der, men nogle gange er summen større end delene, og indiespillet fik opslugt mig som spil sjældent gør. Den gode historie, dybden i ens ekspedition, de hårde konsekvenser og de taktiske slag er alle med til at skabe en helhedsoplevelse, som gjorde turen til det nye rige til en spændende og engagerende og ikke mindst sjov oplevelse.

aries, I think "reach exceeds its grasp" might work better in this context since being overly ambitious is not always a bad thing. I didn't have any trouble understanding what was meant in the Google translate, though.

I'll definitely be giving this one a go. I'm almost sorry it's out in a few days as I'm going on vacation next week. Maybe it'll play OK on my laptop :)

I backed this game on Kickstarter and now it seems myself and the over 1500 backers who get a copy of the game for their contributions won't be getting their copies until after everyone else can buy the game too. Logic Artists who make the game will be putting the game up for sale on various sites and only then will they begin to get codes generated to start sending out to people. I would think that the people that helped you to make your game would get first crack at playing the final product but I guess not. Hopefully backers like myself won't have to wait long for our codes to be sent out to us.

Hmm, while I would certainly expect, as a backer, that I can get the game on day 1, I would not expect to get it any earlier, unless that was somehow stated as a backer reward.

Basically, the reviewer is saying that the game has a lot of flaws - but that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

He specifically mentions story, depth of the "expedition", real consequences and the tactical battles as the highlights.

Issues include questionable AI, somewhat awkward controls, dialogue system (though it's not obvious what's wrong with it), and some bugs.

I hope that's helpful.

Hmm, while I would certainly expect, as a backer, that I can get the game on day 1 (...)

Don't worry, you will get the game on day 1. We're collecting and generating all the codes we need for the backers as we speak, and preparing all the platforms so you can all get the game at the same time.

We've (Softpedia) already received a review copy of the game several days ago and it's ready to be published but we're waiting for the release. I'll be posting the link in here for everyone to read :)

I can understand the frustration of being a backer and not being able to play the game ahead of release, but the sooner the game reaches in the hands of the press, the more hype will be built around it when it goes on sale.

If the game is any good (and from what I can tell this one is) it will greatly influence the sales of that game, thus devs will be encouraged to continue to create more of that stuff. I may be mistaken, but this is how I see things :)

PS: I usually back 2-3 Kickstarter projects per month, so I'm used with devs not being able to deliver what they promised and on time. Still, I continue to support the games I like:)

Back
Top Bottom