Action-RPGs with handcrafted areas

jaes

Watchdog
I'm generally not a big fan of procedural generated areas in games. So I'm looking for recommendations for Diablo type games with (mostly) handcrafted areas.

My current pc is very old, but I'm probably buying a new one this year. Meaning that recommendations of games from before 2010 as well as newer games would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
"The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut"
That should work. I think it's mostly non-procedural. At least the main story line is.

"Vikings - Wolves of Midgard"
This one should also be mostly handcrafted, if I remember correctly. (Please someone correct me otherwise)

"Victor Vran"
This one, too. Although it's a bit of a different feel, more arcade like action I'd say?

"Grim Dawn"
Of course, I forgot the obvious one, and it's precursor:

"Titan Quest"

Divine Divinity (2002) was modelled of off Diablo and is wholly hand-crafted, but nothing respawns in it, so it's not a grinder. It's real time and has diablo-style loot and endless ways to build your character. Also more talking than a regular diablo-clone, but not too much. Solo character, no party of adventurers.

The most common suggestion for a last decade diablo-clone would be the Sacred series. I think Sacred Gold (2005) was the most popular as you could even have a horse. That's a full-on respawn etc type clone. I didn't play it for long as I don't like diablo/clones unless they don't have respawns. Solo character, no party of adventurers & real time combat.

There's also a game called Nox (2000) which is a fun little aRPG. Again, solo character, no party of adventurers, real time, ploughing through dark dungeons. Can't remember it having respawns. Only three character archetypes to choose from though.

Cheap as chips is Eschalon Book 1 (2007). Again, Solo character, no party of adventurers, but in this one the button mashing is replaced by turn-based button mashing, so not real time, though there's no great reason for it not to be real time. The game is free on gog. some enemies do respawn ocassionally, but not reliably for grinding, just occassionally to be annoying here and there unpredictably. Diablo-esque random loot. Lots of build possibilities though. Tediuos resting system is it's primary flaw.

Great suggestions by lackblogger. Careful of Nox OS compatibility. If you play Sacred Gold up the difficulty right off the bat or you get stupid powerful within a few hours which really ruins the otherwise great experience. It’s a great looking hand crafted game. Divine Divinity is the best of the bunch in my opinion though. It’s really a standout in the genre.

Victor Vran was really good. Van Helsing started good but the changes as they went to 2nd and 3rd part were steps backwards.
-
Titan quest I liked because of the setting; grim dawn is more quest oriented - well it has a ton of quests.

"The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut"
That should work. I think it's mostly non-procedural. At least the main story line is.

"Vikings - Wolves of Midgard"
This one should also be mostly handcrafted, if I remember correctly. (Please someone correct me otherwise)

"Victor Vran"
This one, too. Although it's a bit of a different feel, more arcade like action I'd say?

"Grim Dawn"
Of course, I forgot the obvious one, and it's precursor:

"Titan Quest"

Thanks for the help.

I'll probably start with DD or Sacred, and then move on to Grim Dawn when I get my new pc.

Back
Top Bottom