Return of the Daily Smile

Someone could speculate now that Kangaroos have an "unconscious memory" (was Jung the one who had proposed that) of big, big, REALLY BIG birds flying around in the past and thus attacked that "bird". ;) :D

I do think if you are mad enough to paraglide you deserve whatever you get!!!

(I wonder if pibbur would try paragliding in Australia most? I suspect not :biggrin: )
Yes, pibbur was my first thought when I saw this. I do hope he's doing OK.
If you don't succeed on your first attempt, skydiving (and similar activities) is probably not for you.

pibbur who actually can't say for sure 'cause he's never tried it.

EDIT: And who is preparing a lengthyish I'm back post.

Welcome back Pibbur. Sit down, grab yourself a coffee and crack a smile at Crabstickz' annual comeback video:

If you don't succeed on your first attempt, skydiving (and similar activities) is probably not for you.

pibbur who actually can't say for sure 'cause he's never tried it.

EDIT: And who is preparing a lengthyish I'm back post.
Yay
Welcome back

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Since xkcd has been sorely missing from the site…

This one:
meta_collecting.png

And this one:
video_orientation.png

pibbur who in general despises phone videos but might consider the 3rd option. For artistic pourposes.

PS. The Wikipedia list actually exists.

And this one:
differentiation_and_integration.png

I chose to put this in a separate post, since understanding it requires some mathematics (but not necessarily university level). It illustrates well what I consider the Fundamental Problem of Calculus:

1. Differentials, by all means nice and all that, are fairly easy to find.
  2. Integrals, so elegant and so beautiful, are also so much harder to master.

pibbur who has bought Mathematica.

Last edited:
Splendid. That's more like it. :)

I like that "burn the evidence" part. :D

Good one. I was going to say "HILARIOUS", but that's perhaps not the right choice of words in this specific context.

And to the point. Reminds me of radio broadcast, I think it was from a speed skating event some time during the 50's (no, I did not witness it, my dad told me). One of the Norwegians set a new significant world record, and the sports commentator went... "Bevare meg vel" ("Goodness me"). Compare that to the verbal excesses of today (at least like we hear them on Norwegian TV).

pibbur who allows himself to be somewhat excided by the video

Good one. I was going to say "HILARIOUS", but that's perhaps not the right choice of words in this specific context.

And to the point. Reminds me of radio broadcast, I think it was from a speed skating event some time during the 50's (no, I did not witness it, my dad told me). One of the Norwegians set a new significant world record, and the sports commentator went... "Bevare meg vel" ("Goodness me"). Compare that to the verbal excesses of today (at least like we hear them on Norwegian TV).

pibbur who allows himself to be somewhat excided by the video
Welcome back

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Some number theory:

million_billion_trillion.png

pibbur who (among other things) despises the unfortunate habit of English-speaking nations of calling a milliard a billion, a billion a trilllion…..Other things being calling natrium (Na) sodium, kalium (K) potassium, aluminium aluminum, 1,609344 km a mile… And all the fahrenheit stuff.

We always used the traditional meaning for billions and up, but we switched to conform to the US system - possibly so there were no unfortunate misunderstandings in the nuclear submarine club.

It's not just numbers.

The word I use to say dream in the past tense has always been "drempt", which is spelt "Dreamt". You'll also notice I used the word "spelt". However, when it comes to pretty much every book I ever read, they always spell it "Dreamed", which, to me, always reads as jarring and odd, though "spelled" doesn't.

Another similar example is "Leapt" which is now usually written as "leaped". I could be wrong, but I believe most of "t" endings were ditched sometime in the 20th century as the USA became the dominant market and producer of books. The USA went through a very strict phase of formalising English in this way and is probably why USA English is easier to learn than traditional English with its myriad lawless spellings and pronunciations.

Edit: One example that did survive is "Slept", even in the US it's quite rare to hear people say "Sleeped".

Last edited:
It's not just numbers.

The word I use to say dream in the past tense has always been "drempt", which is spelt "Dreamt". You'll also notice I used the word "spelt". However, when it comes to pretty much every book I ever read, they always spell it "Dreamed", which, to me, always reads as jarring and odd, though "spelled" doesn't.

Another similar example is "Leapt" which is now usually written as "leaped". I could be wrong, but I believe most of "t" endings were ditched sometime in the 20th century as the USA became the dominant market and producer of books. The USA went through a very strict phase of formalising English in this way and is probably why USA English is easier to learn than traditional English with its myriad lawless spellings and pronunciations.

Edit: One example that did survive is "Slept", even in the US it's quite rare to hear people say "Sleeped".

Keeped ? :D

Bad one I know...

Back
Top Bottom