What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

What I want to know is why Couch hates Brie Larsen!! :)
Well I can give you the simple answer.^^

It's her attitude towards white males in comic and movie culture (Diversity),but that's a topic for the political forum. So hope that answer is satisfactory.

It just won't work for me. I see the person that was cast for the role, I've had a picture in my head for the past fifty years of how that person should look, and who they selected isn't even close. It would be akin to having a person close to seven feet tall looking like a linebacker to play Peter Parker, it just doesn't fit what I have in my mind for that person. It's like the people that did the casting had absolutely no idea of her history within the comics.

@Carnifex makes a good point. As the latest Captain Marvel is not a fan favorite. You only have to look at her low comic sales for examples of why she is a terrible choice.

Wait what? What kinda reasoning is that?
I thought that blonde was the manchild from your neighborhood! :evilgrin:

Wait what? What kinda reasoning is that?
I thought that blonde was the manchild from your neighborhood! :evilgrin:
No she's a mannish looking woman with daddy issues.:biggrin:

Fun fact she actually has a stunt double just for her butt as she has none.

hqdefault.jpg

Well moving on before I get stoned by certain members.:lol:

Classic Hollywood. Use stunts or plastic surgery, whatever's cheaper - because people mustn't look normal on screen, no sir.

Next time someone asks me why am I so obsessed with, dunno, australian cinema for example, there's your answer.
Or in detail, I wrote recenty about Mystery Road, australian gem, and this is Judy Davis who appears there:
Judy.jpg

They didn't make her boobs and they left her FU hairstyle on screen. Yet she pwned the show.

So my pick for the lead in Captain Marvel would have been the woman playing Starbuck in Battle Star Galactica. Still wouldn't be perfect, I honestly think they would have had to go with an unknown, but it would be a far superior choice to the person they picked. I've nothing against her, that actress, but for me she just doesn't fit the Carol Danvers role.

Alita: Battle Angel.

I went into the movie not being familiar with previous incarnations. I had mixed reactions. I enjoyed it overall but didn't love it. It had a lot of cgi action - which is not a bad thing but i would have liked longer backstory scenes. As for casting i had problems with Waltz playing Ido because his style of acting in this movie kept reminding me of a certain Nazi Col (in Django I didn't have that problem - so I know he has different styles).
-
I also disliked that the movie ends with an intended sequel - would have liked a more complete story. There were other little things but overall ok i guess.

Last edited:
Was watching The Incredibles 2 this evening in DVD … So sad that the undercurrent story got so much buried within all of this action and the family story …

The story I mean is that from … people getting too dependent on Superheroes. This reminds me of the third "How to train your Dragon" movie … EWhich was a worthy … conclusion …

I'm getting old, I only like movies with good stories, less action and more harmony and/or comedy and rather animated these days …

Sometimes I feel like some kind of alien, because no-one seems to do anymore what I like.

But they do make what you like. All you need is to stay away from hollywood's mainstream and you'll find all sorts of treasures you weren't even aware it's possible to exist.

I bet just like I told you to move away from mmos, you won't listen again and next title you'll watch will be bumblebee or whatever some new transformers movie is called. Why, I don't know.

I bet just like I told you to move away from mmos, you won't listen again and next title you'll watch will be bumblebee or whatever some new transformers movie is called. Why, I don't know.

If I saw joxer say a game was an MMO I'd understand that it simply has some form of multiplayer but a lot of people would be confused.

To normal people MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online. It involves "massive" amounts of players to be online in the same world. Perhaps 5000. Having 10 players in a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) like League of Legends isn't a massive amount of people and therefore the term MMO is not applicable. I'm sure this hasn't clarified the term for you in any way.

Anyway, movies, ummm…

I saw Starlet (2012) written and directed by Sean Baker and thought it was unique so I got his more recent film The Florida Project (2017) and enjoyed that too. They're both worth a strong 7/10 score.

Again? How many times do I have to write it?

Multiplayer online means - you can't play a game's multiplayer once the developer or publisher kills it's server(s). There is a reason why some coops I never called mmo - these multiplayers work without internet connection in a home LAN.

Massive mo doesn't mean there are billions of players playing it over a dedicated server right now. It means the server can accept and serve tons of players at the same time. Even if noone ever plays such thing, it's still mmo, what matters is intent, not the number of postrelease flies stuck on the shit.
You took LoL as an example - LoL server will not allow you to join after a certain number of players log in. As long as someone doesn't disconnect and makes space for another player, you'll be waiting for entry. How many thousands are allowed at the same time on the server dunno nor care, doesn't matter. The server sees all those players at the same time and you can also see and chat all of them. It doesn't matter what genre LoL is, obviously LoL isn't openworld grinder, digital card collector, lootboxes scamware or whatever something - as long as server is necessary to play it, it's mmo.

On topic, I didn't write any title suggestion to Alrik. Two reasons.
He plain refuses to watch thrillers for example and I adore those. Once I moved away from Hollywood mainstream I've found so many awsome thrillers it's impossible to number them all. Not saying Hollywood makes rubbish only, for example A Simple Favor is awsome, but it's just a rare example of great movie among, well, "shovelware".
Another reason is I don't want to watch plain dramas. Usually those bore me to death so I tend to skip them unless someone I trust when it comes to movies explains to me why I should watch one (why is it not same old same old and why is it not boring). Means, I can't possibly know what exact titles would fit his taste. For that there is internet. All I know is that if he stays on the barren field, there will be no fruit to harvest.

Anybody going to watch Shazam! this weekend?

My opinion it's better then Captain Marvel and recommend watching it.

Last edited:
Not me.
I need a break from superheroes, sitting out Doom Patrol for example. When I get an urge to go for any of it again, I'll just watch titles skipped before. Sadly, when it comes to comics, the last superhero comics were about a dozen initial issues with Miles Morales, but I stopped there and never returned to any other - most probably never will. Too many plain awsome nonsuperhero comics prevent me from going back.

Currently I need some hilarious stuff for laughs, means eagerly waiting for Extreme Job.

What has this to do with films? Please leave the BS to your very own BS thread.

Again? How many times do I have to write it?

Multiplayer online means - you can't play a game's multiplayer once the developer or publisher kills it's server(s). There is a reason why some coops I never called mmo - these multiplayers work without internet connection in a home LAN.

Massive mo doesn't mean there are billions of players playing it over a dedicated server right now. It means the server can accept and serve tons of players at the same time. Even if noone ever plays such thing, it's still mmo, what matters is intent, not the number of postrelease flies stuck on the shit.
You took LoL as an example - LoL server will not allow you to join after a certain number of players log in. As long as someone doesn't disconnect and makes space for another player, you'll be waiting for entry. How many thousands are allowed at the same time on the server dunno nor care, doesn't matter. The server sees all those players at the same time and you can also see and chat all of them. It doesn't matter what genre LoL is, obviously LoL isn't openworld grinder, digital card collector, lootboxes scamware or whatever something - as long as server is necessary to play it, it's mmo.

But they do make what you like. All you need is to stay away from hollywood's mainstream and you'll find all sorts of treasures you weren't even aware it's possible to exist.

Well, in partt you are right. It just doesn't hit me like that ... I mean, niche games don't get that much marketing ... niche movies don't as well ...

Currently, I'm enjoying my time with DDO again - an MMO, but so much oldschool that no-one of the "modern crowds" would touch it. ;)

But I'll keep my eyes more open, I promise that. :) ;)

Sometimes in this year, there will be an animated puff-puff movie.
I hated the game's outdated designs (it's 11th sequel to be precise), but maybe the movie won't suck.

Trailer:

I watched Native Son last night, as I'm a huge fan of the novels, dating back to high school when I first read them. Seeing as this was an HBO production, I expected to be thoroughly impressed, but I found it lackluster and wanting. They simply left too much great material out, and should this story ever be of any interest to anyone, do yourself a huge favour and read the novels.

Glass

What an enormous disappointment. It's hard to believe that M. Night Shyamalan could follow up the brilliance of Unbreakable and Split with this piece of shit.

Shyamalan's movies have always fallen squarely into one of two categories: Memorable or completely forgettable. Glass is very much the latter.

Back
Top Bottom