DA:I Just bought it, game does not start

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Thaurin

SasqWatch
Does anyone know of a fix that actually works? I played the free trial for a bit, and that worked flawlessly. Now, I bought the game and it exits back to desktop every time I start it from Origin or directly. Tried everything. It seems to happen to a lot of people, but I have not found a definite fix. What the hell? Is Origin really this crappy? First time something like this happened to me. Is there a known fix?

Don't know what to say as the cause is usually due to bad drivers, virus software, or a corrupt game download. For me uninstalling the game and re-downloading it solved the problem. Frankly It was a pain as EA technical support was not helpful at all.

I vaguely remember a graphical setting causing issue on certain video cards and having to disable something. There is this thread that talks about one such problem.

Corrupted files will also cause crashes, like couchpotato said.
It could also be the Origin overlay, you need to go in the options of Origin to disable that.

Don't redownload.
Origin has verify option on games just like Steam. Right click on the game inside Origin client then choose Repair. Use it.

Next thing if that doesn't help, go into game installation folder and manually install all 4 (FOUR!) visual c redistriburable libraries. In my case that's inside this one, I can't remember what's default folder:
D:\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\__Installer\vc

There you'll find 4 subfolders with some vcredist executables. Run every single one.

If even that doesn't help post again or google search (can't do it myself now don't ask why) how to run Origin client as administrator, and if that also doesn't help then how to delete Origin cache.

Don't redownload.
Origin has verify option on games just like Steam. Right click on the game inside Origin client then choose Repair. Use it.
Yes Origin has a repair option, but it didn't fix my corrupted game as it was greyed out, and I even deleted my Origin cache. Turns out it was another lovely Origin bug. :roll:

LOL. EA online chat help is less than useless. Because my RAM (6 GB) doesn't meet recommended specs (8 GB), she advised getting a new video card. When I proposed that would not help, she told me to clear my temporary internet files and free disk space. I'm not kidding. Sigh.

Last edited:
Before I posted here, I already tried:

- Repair
- Redownloading
- Disabling the Origin overlay
- Rebooting
- Reinstalling all redist packages in installation folder
- Run as administrator, and compatibility mode (just for kicks)

Every time. Every time, it will just go to black screen with DA:I mouse pointer and then crash back to desktop. At this point, I'm thinking refund. Shame, because I was enjoying the trial (with perfect frame rate).

Sorry for triple post. Found out that AVG anti-virus was causing the issue. Disabling it for 10 minutes made the game start. Yay, EA! First game that does this. I'll see if I can make an exception for DA:I instead of disabling it altogether every time.

Oh, I totally forgot about AVG being bad with games. I had to make exception for a few in the last year myself (no DAI though, weird, but I don't have it installed right now).

Back
Top Bottom