What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The Silence. Derivative to Quiet Place obviously. It does make me wonder about production timelines and if Netflix just got unlucky. But besides that it was worth a watch.

I watched Black Klansman last night, thought it was pretty decent. Good acting and an excellent story, I'd read the book last summer but still quite enjoyed seeing the movie.

I rewatched interstellar, which is important as I never do that normally. With the recent revealed black hole pictures I just had a craving for some hard scifi and I think interstellar is an excellent fix for that.

Speaking of, do watch "Love, Death & Robots" on netflix for some great weird short stories (beautifully animated). Especially Beyond The Aquila Rift is a nice one, based on a story of Alastair Reynolds.

Last edited:
Speaking of, do watch "Love, Death & Robots" on netflix for some great weird short stories (beautifully animated). Especially Beyond The Aquila Rift is a nice, based on a story of Alastair Reynolds.
We have a separate series thread. ;)

But since it's mentioned - IMO it's almost a masterpiece (the werewolves story has a totally messed script) and I can't wait for the next season.

Finally saw Captain Marvel. I did not think it was the horrible movie that folks here suggested it might have been. It was not a fantastic movie but it really wasn't that bad.

I thought the age old good guys are bad guys plot was well done - even if it lacks imagination.

Probably my only real complaint is that she smiled too much in the wrong spots which was kind of odd. I thought the supporting cast did a good job. Anyway while not a great movie I enjoyed it.

Watched Deadpool 2 - I can not remember when was the last time I enjoyed a movie and a laugh like for DP2 (for the all the wrong/right reasons). Absolute joy to watch and strong and competent cast.

Watched Deadpool 2 - I can not remember when was the last time I enjoyed a movie and a laugh like for DP2 (for the all the wrong/right reasons). Absolute joy to watch and strong and competent cast.
Watched it a few months back also found it more enjoyable then Captain Marvel. Now that Disney owns all of the fox Ip's part three should have more heroes and villains.

Strangely, while I didn't really enjoy the latest GoT, which I usually do like, I did enjoy the new Avengers sequel, though I don't usually like superhero films.

Minor spoilers:

Also strangely, one of my complaints is that they tend to have blathering plots with various elaborate MacGuffins, and I find myself tuning out. "Blah blah - tesseracts - blah blah - Asgard." And yet this one, which has ALL the characters, and mixes up previous plots with an added dose of time travel, I found much more enjoyable. For whatever reason (and there are still plot holes you could drive a bus through) I found that this one worked for me. It had a good role for Paul Rudd, who I like, and Hemsworth, whose Thor usually irritates me, I found much more likeable as fat drunk Thor.

The final battle truly is epic, and I think the movie actually had some substance to balance the spectacle.

Thinking about it, what it has in common with many action films I like is that it has a good beginning. The first third is very low key and human. By the time the MacGuffin-chasing starts in the middle section, you are connected to the characters, and the stakes are clear. I think once you've done that successfully, you can get away with quite a lot. So, the middle is kind of "whatever", but the beginning and end are strong.

BackDraft 2 the movie I never thought they would make fifteen years later. It's another Direct to DVD release but some of the older cast does make an appearance.

Overall it was enjoyable for a low budget sequel.

Never heard of it but how do you continue after the first one ?

BackDraft 2 the movie I never thought they would make fifteen years later. It's another Direct to DVD release but some of the older cast does make an appearance.

Overall it was enjoyable for a low budget sequel.

Backdraft is one the best firefighter movies from 1991.

Backdraft 2 continues the tale years later with the son.

I saw the most recent Predator film last night, I did manage to get through it but when I saw some rugrat show up, I picked up a book and read that for about a third of the movie. At least I got through it, but it really wasn't very good.

Just got in from end game.

Didn't think marvel would or could make a movie as bad as most DC movies.

1 out 10 and that is me being nice

You must have seen a different Endgame than I did then, because I loved it!!

Endgame was good for what it set out to be - a movie to wrap everything up. They really did a good job with that aspect. My mind did kind of go into auto-pilot mode with the movie's plot device.
(time travel, woop!)

Just watched Eng Game as well. Good all around, but one can see that they have crippled some of the iconic Marvel heroes just to balance things out and give the many featured heroes a role in this movie, and push (or shove) new ones in (or make a change for the sake of change). My ultimate disappointment is the Hulk, but one can tell why they have done so as he can wipe out armies by himself.

I personally prefer the previous Avenger movies as they were more structured and the classic heroes have defined and justified roles.

You must have seen a different Endgame than I did then, because I loved it!!

I am sure we did see the same movie.

It was 3:08 long and way to much blah blah blah blah...it was all over the place with no new bad guy.

The first movie was so good ..this one was just long and boring...

Thor as always stole the show...so that was a high point..

@CelticFrost

I understand somewhat what you feel but for me the problem is to many marvel movies over the last twenty years. Most use the same formula with some changes.

It's called superhero fatigue yet these movies continue to make billions of dollars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom