The Division

That's actually one of my complaints with the game, that it's not possible to be stealthy.

I think the whole setup would be perfectly suited for class-based gameplay, including Support, Assault, Recon and so forth.

In fact, I think the skill system is one of the greatest weaknesses of the game. I mean, what's there is really cool and everything is executed very well - but there's a severe shortage of ways to diversify your build in terms of skills and perks.

Like many of these games, you're supposed to build your playstyle through loot and, in particular, item sets. That's fine - but I would really have liked an expanded RPG system.

Anyway, I agree with you that it should have been possible to go the sneaky bastard route - as that's my favorite one.

But I guess, in a way, the whole game is sort of like that - because you really need to stay behind cover 90% of the time.

Also, you CAN be semi-stealthy when you play in groups - and silencers tend to have threat reduction stats. Meaning, enemies are less likely to notice you and will be more likely to go after your team mates if you spec for it.

But, during solo play - threat reduction does absolutely nothing at all.

Also, as I said, you can pretty much one-shot everything when you're properly geared. Only the bosses and toughest enemies will need a few more shots to the head.

Overall, it's an ok compromise - I find.

Not a perfect game or anything, but it's definitely one of the prettiest and downright coolest games I've ever played. They really did an amazing job with the city and put in the work on details in a very serious way.

Too bad that it was a bit of a missed opportunity at launch. I think it would have been much more prominent had it launched in its current state.

That said, it seems to have made quite the comeback due to the last couple of patches. A lot of activity and positive buzz these days.

Bodes well for an expanded sequel :)

Bummer about stealth but seems if I equip myself right I can play somewhat that way.

I’ll probably be playing through it with my son soon. He plays competitively in leagues though and is miles better than me at shooters so he’ll probably have everything killed before I get a round off anyway.:lol:

Thanks DArt, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I'm starting to get into it a little more. It's really quite impressive how detailed the world is. I just wish you could actually interact with more things.

The only real downer is that I'm still getting occasional crashes for some reason. Around 1 every 60 minutes so far. Not enough to hurt the experience but enough to be annoying.

I'm starting to get into it a little more. It's really quite impressive how detailed the world is. I just wish you could actually interact with more things.

The only real downer is that I'm still getting occasional crashes for some reason. Around 1 every 60 minutes so far. Not enough to hurt the experience but enough to be annoying.

Strange, as I never had that kind of problem with the game. Have you googled for a solution?

Is it a hard crash or a CTD?

DX12. Do you think it makes a difference?

It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't become more frequent than it is.

I've read that some people are getting crashes with DX12 - so you could try switching to DX11.

I've only used DX11 myself, because I use ReShade - which doesn't support DX12.

Still playing although my gaming time has been limited lately. Combat is starting to get repetitive, and I thought about moving on to a different game already. It's a shame there are so few types of enemies in the game when everything else is so detailed.

I'm interested in upgrading my base though and seeing what it brings me. I'm also curious where the story goes even if it doesn't seem very strong so far.

I'm finding a few locked doors here and there, but lockpicks seem rare. Are they a random drop or is there a way to obtain more?

JDR13 said:
Combat is starting to get repetitive, and I thought about moving on to a different game already.
When I saw that you were considering the game I was going to jump in and warn against it, but I was away on holiday so didn't have the time, nor did I have the energy of dealing with the inevitable DArt-debate.

I've played the MQ to about 80%. It is a highly repetitive and shallow game. I think I've described it here before as a "beautifully rendered setting that they have somehow managed to do very little with". Like any Ubisoft game, you clean out the icons on a map.You pick up audio logs that, though well acted, add nothing other than repetitively re-asserting the depressing sitrep.
So, it's a grindy game that needs to shine on the loot, right? Except the loot isn't very interesting. The weapons are dull. Also, how many woolly hats and dull jackets do I need from a thirsty local?

It reminds me of Destiny 2 in some respects - a slick, pretty game that is ultimately shallow and repetitive. At least Destiny 2 has some cool-ass weapon drops though, I guess. Both are grindy games that are worth jumping into occasionally for a blast, though you leave with a slightly sour taste in your mouth and a feeling of... emptiness.

For some reason I can;t edit my old post wihout the site borking, so I'll add this:

I also got the odd timeout and CTD. This is incredibly annoying if you're in the middle of a mission, as you'll have to start from scratch. Too frustrating.

Still playing although my gaming time has been limited lately. Combat is starting to get repetitive, and I thought about moving on to a different game already. It's a shame there are so few types of enemies in the game when everything else is so detailed.

I'm interested in upgrading my base though and seeing what it brings me. I'm also curious where the story goes even if it doesn't seem very strong so far.

I'm finding a few locked doors here and there, but lockpicks seem rare. Are they a random drop or is there a way to obtain more?

Lockpicks and locked rooms are a pretty small part of the game, I wouldn't worry about it. You get the best loot from harder events - but the "loot hunt" doesn't really start until you reach 30 and World Tier 5.

Again, it's a very Diablo-like game at heart - so if you don't care for that genre, I doubt you'll want to play much more.

I can't agree with the previous poster about the game being shallow and the loot dull, though. I think the loot is among the best in the genre - because weapons are so different and there's a pretty complex meta-game involved with figuring out the right weapon for your build and your set items. Game can be extremely challenging and rewarding - but you won't really see any of that unless you get to 30 and beyond.

As I said, I think the world they built is fantastic - and I think they really put in the work in terms of setting everything up in a plausible way given the scenario. That also goes for the enemy variety - which I agree is very limited.

Given the setting, though, it's hard to justify anything but human enemies. Things do get spiced up with a nice variety of extra elements during later missions and especially the Underground.

But if you're not enjoying the RPG/loot progression - I wouldn't worry about finishing it or anything. The story isn't anything special - and the game doesn't change that much from where you seem to be at.

The game is built for cooperative play at heart - and much like all Diablo-like games, it's quite limited as a solo experience. More interesting than most, though - but you still have to enjoy the genre which is primarily about building a character and set of gear.

How would you compare the loot to borderlands 2

Lockpicks and locked rooms are a pretty small part of the game, I wouldn't worry about it. You get the best loot from harder events - but the "loot hunt" doesn't really start until you reach 30 and World Tier 5.

Again, it's a very Diablo-like game at heart - so if you don't care for that genre, I doubt you'll want to play much more.

I can't agree with the previous poster about the game being shallow and the loot dull, though. I think the loot is among the best in the genre - because weapons are so different and there's a pretty complex meta-game involved with figuring out the right weapon for your build and your set items. Game can be extremely challenging and rewarding - but you won't really see any of that unless you get to 30 and beyond.

As I said, I think the world they built is fantastic - and I think they really put in the work in terms of setting everything up in a plausible way given the scenario. That also goes for the enemy variety - which I agree is very limited.

Given the setting, though, it's hard to justify anything but human enemies. Things do get spiced up with a nice variety of extra elements during later missions and especially the Underground.

But if you're not enjoying the RPG/loot progression - I wouldn't worry about finishing it or anything. The story isn't anything special - and the game doesn't change that much from where you seem to be at.

The game is built for cooperative play at heart - and much like all Diablo-like games, it's quite limited as a solo experience. More interesting than most, though - but you still have to enjoy the genre which is primarily about building a character and set of gear.

How would you compare the loot to borderlands 2

I find Division loot more compelling overall. Division is not just about weapons, like Borderlands 2 - but also about set items. The set items represent the heart of your character "build" - because you can mix and match them - and they give very powerful bonuses to certain skills and weapons.

That said, Borderlands 2 has more "fun" weapons - because the game isn't going for the plausible or realistic. That means you can get some really crazy combinations. So, in that way - it will depend on your preferences.

Division weaponry is based in reality - and is very complex once you really get into it. All the various weapons have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages in terms of recoil, rate of fire, vertical and horizontal drift, reload speed, weapon spread - and so on.

Also, the game features an extensive modding system - where you can customize your weapons with the specific mods that support your build and character strategy.

In that way, it's much more of a "simulation" than Borderlands - which makes it more compelling to me.

If you just go through the story and you're not into the intricacies of mechanics and advanced builds, you're not even scratching the surface.

It's designed around longevity and the end-game - where the idea is that you're supposed to find your playstyle and perfect your build for the activities you enjoy.

Personally, I think it's one of the few games that has a truly compelling solo PvP experience at the end-game. While groups are definitely stronger in the Dark Zone - you can actually succeed alone if you know what you're doing, and the mechanics ensure a very tense and exhilarating experience.

But if you're not into the "looter shooter" genre - and you're just looking for either a straight-up shooter or a traditional RPG - it's definitely NOT that.

In hindsight, I think I would have skipped it if I had a better idea of what it was like.

That said, I don't regret buying it, and I did enjoy it for awhile. I think it's a very solid game, but in the end, I don't find the single-player content all that compelling.

It's not much different than the other Ubisoft titles I've played except that it's even more impressive from a visual standpoint. The world is incredibly well-detailed, but, like all of their games that I've tried, it doesn't feel very organic to me. It feels more like a series of interconnected set pieces than a world I can explore naturally and get immersed in.

I'm just not a fan of the Ubisoft paradigm. I can understand why their games are popular and how they appeal to a lot of people, but for me, there are other games that are simply more fun and immersive.

I bet it's a blast to co-op though. Unfortunately, it's not a game that any of my friends are currently playing, and I don't care much to play with strangers.

Funny that you mention Diablo 3 though because I'm about to start playing that again. I'm just going pick up where I left off and finish the campaign. I've got a Crusader at paragon level 41, and I think I'm about midway through the final act.

In hindsight, I think I would have skipped it if I had a better idea of what it was like.

That said, I don't regret buying it, and I did enjoy it for awhile. I think it's a very solid game, but in the end, I don't find the single-player content all that compelling.

It's not much different than the other Ubisoft titles I've played except that it's even more impressive from a visual standpoint. The world is incredibly well-detailed, but, like all of their games that I've tried, it doesn't feel very organic to me. It feels more like a series of interconnected set pieces than a world I can explore naturally and get immersed in.

I'm just not a fan of the Ubisoft paradigm. I can understand why their games are popular and how they appeal to a lot of people, but for me, there are other games that are simply more fun and immersive.

I bet it's a blast to co-op though. Unfortunately, it's not a game that any of my friends are currently playing, and I don't care much to play with strangers.

Funny that you mention Diablo 3 though because I'm about to start playing that again. I'm just going pick up where I left off and finish the campaign. I've got a Crusader at paragon level 41, and I think I'm about midway through the final act.

I get what you're saying and I agree with you about Ubisoft games in general.

I would never have played Division entirely solo - I just got hooked on it back upon release when I played through the campaign and some other stuff with my GF.

It's a little different from most Ubisoft games in terms of it being a looter shooter focused on coop multiplayer - which is even worse if you're not into that genre.

Also, it's made by Swedish Massive - which is sort of like the Ubisoft version of DICE (that EA took over) - and they have some incredibly talented guys working there. Much like DICE developed the Frostbite engine used in many EA games - Massive developed the Snowdrop engine used in Division. Strange with these similarities, isn't it? ;)

Anyway, the Snowdrop engine is just drop-dead amazing in terms of making that city come alive, if you ask me. It's a big part of the appeal to me.

These progression/loot driven RPGs are also among my favorites, but they were always coop games to me. I don't understand how people can enjoy playing these games alone for long.

For instance, as much as I love Diablo 3 - I would never have played it much if it wasn't multiplayer. I enjoy playing it alone only because I see it as practice or "preparation" for a proper coop session.

So, I fully understand that you haven't completed the D3 campaign yet. I don't think even I did that alone. Well, maybe once or twice - but that was only to build a character and test him out for efficiency - and not to experience the story.

The story in Diablo was never very good - but the cutscenes and presentation are usually amazing ;)

Can both those games (The Divios 1 & 2) be played entirely single-player? Is there a campaign for them or only arena etc?

Back
Top Bottom